InfraRed converted cameras.

Name
Pete
Edit My Images
Yes
I may be looking to buy a secondhand nikon DSLR which has been converted for IR photography.

I'm not sure about the wavelength to get.

I have seen 590nm Goldie to 720 Standard conversions.

If I get the 590 can I then add a filter (790?) to make it Standard or is that the wrong way round.

I also have an old Olympus OM1 with 50mm Standard lens, which I could use film in, which would seem to be a cheaper option apart from processing and getting the negs scanned onto CD/Mem Stick, but I can not find any company that will process the film as it is not C41. I have done B&W processing as a young lad ( a long time ago) and would have to buy the tank,lightbag and chemicals as well as a means to scan the negatives so the costs appear to be around the same as the DSLR.

Any IR buffs around to give advice.

Thanks
Pete

I have got a 720 converted D70 nikon ! In good condition with couple of memory cards!

I too have a 720 converted D70 - it works, but dynamic range is extremely limited (because of the camera sensor, not because of the conversion). An advantage over the film route is that film will only be mono.

You could use a 720nm filter on a 590 converted body, but then you will lose the advantage on the conversion (i.e. to see what you're shooting through the viewfinder, and to be able to hand-hold shots) so I would suggest getting the wavelength you want to use instead of using filters.

I may be looking to buy a secondhand nikon DSLR which has been converted for IR photography.

I'm not sure about the wavelength to get.

I have seen 590nm Goldie to 720 Standard conversions.

If I get the 590 can I then add a filter (790?) to make it Standard or is that the wrong way round.

I also have an old Olympus OM1 with 50mm Standard lens, which I could use film in, which would seem to be a cheaper option apart from processing and getting the negs scanned onto CD/Mem Stick, but I can not find any company that will process the film as it is not C41. I have done B&W processing as a young lad ( a long time ago) and would have to buy the tank,lightbag and chemicals as well as a means to scan the negatives so the costs appear to be around the same as the DSLR.

Any IR buffs around to give advice.

Thanks
Pete

If you have a 590nm camera, you can put darker filters on, i.e. 720, 850 etc just fine. I used a 590nm X-E1 with 830nm filters most of the time. Be aware that if you like the false colour stuff, then the results will vary in colour depending on camera chosen. The 'Goldie' effect is most easily obtained with a Canon, it's quite hard to get decent false colour from a Fuji, though it is possible. If you like the standard 720nm look, Olympus does it effortlessly.

If you do go down the film route, then you will need to bracket a lot, as the film sensitivity in IR will be nowhere near the indicated box speed, not only that but the focus will be off - that's what the little red mark is for on the scale - focus normally, and whatever is next to the normal focus mark, move it to the IR mark and hope for the best!

I have a 720nm D70 and D90 and also a 720nm Fuji XE-1. Focusing can be a bit of an issue with dSLRs, mine work OK with a 50mm 18-70 and 16-85, but I had issues with autofocus on anything else. The Fuji is much easier to live with as all lens focus without issues, but some have the usual hotspot issues.

a couple of things worth noting:

Yes you can put a 720NM filter on the front of a 590nm converted camera, note you will not be able to use the viewfinder as it will appear all but black unless pointed at something very bright - live-view will work however.

It is pretty straightforward to make 590nm images look as though they were shot as 720 or even higher as part of your post processing.

Older cameras will convert easier (especially true for nikon dlsr's). My converted d80 takes a custom white balance very easily. Where as my d7000 with an identical internal filter flat out refuses to set a custom WB and requires more processing to get the best out of it (its 590NM raws are downright horrible to start with)

Hope that helps :)

Back