B&W Infrared Pictures of Dundee on Rollei Infrared Film

Name
Samuel
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi, it's been a few years since I've been on Talk Photography (a few people may remember me...). I've not been doing much photography for the past 4-5 years because of the stresses of my PhD, but I've recently finished a roll of Rollei Infrared film that somebody on here gave me a few years ago and I'd had in the freezer. These pictures were taken over a month or so about 16 months ago, although I only finished the roll about 6 weeks ago. The camera was a Pentax Spotmatic F and all of these are taken with either a Pentax SMC Takumar 55 mm F1.8 or an SMC Takumar 28 mm F3.5 lens with a Hoya R72 filter (with one exception). The processing and scanning was by AG Photolab and I've only made some minor straightening/cropping and levels adjustments along with resizing. I also have non-IR photos from the same roll and I'll post some of those up as well shortly in another thread.

What do you all think? This was the first time that I had ever done reflected IR photography, a surprising amount actually came out very well aside from these selected few. The earlier few are metered at ISO 320 and assume a 4 stop reduction from the R72, while the later ones are metered at 250 or 200 (probably closer to the films real speed based on the reduced grain compared to 320) and for a few I added an extra stop on for the filter (I didn't record exactly which ones unfortunately). I'll put up a link to the rest on my OneDrive at some point. Comments/critique are very welcome!

y4mco2xKBmizBd533p25HlbcQ1WlDPgIwVPWboRKtfcdowD0CRJvgKukwl7yzdhy_OoqmUyY50H9hmGIMbmgphO11RboobNSGxobzHvXaTvk2u6BWAm3wX2A2tPvsZogtYNpV2hrUCOEZxSdVBo6Uwa6R6UoWF4TO0jFNIYpE4WTvkf7o-Bx5-gSwDTGqeRq-_D

Looking toward Dundee Law from Balgay Hillside

y4mc6FVH4zGPnr9qTWPefbB8ZFXgHBSHIaEh19qfgL-RuEQEcKnMr8Lyyo1rrv4fDyfGLoU1v7HABnAusGrKfgNr4Ea5QdOvDbyG-o7ILEuJi4DGOSTne5_jFhR5ebz-NNSKUsdymOLYUgiepiuDyTKBoeyq2hHrbvLIi2zB8vHEqTWoti3T3IbGv_G8FTB-7LH

Lochee, Coxes Stack and the old Camperdown Works Jute Mill from Balgay Hillside

y4mrm7m1YJjXLrxZtP46mq1XRm6_NRnFXSRvoP2NxxNm1qdqhDeOQhJzz-VPK3cb4gkI_5-bsmLIVupbOkpCZXrJclai1PnlzAnRzFcXMCyKSCQDV6iftMGUn0OhC2Fk9ZiGIVq9dDwW772tDvJbL7PJ78ghgoKwD4Rcrg7M8ZFy4hh5hD9zlqorNle75UE81oU

Self-portrait in Balgay Park Woodland

y4mMgWiO5Wk9eFX1RPFP0zV2IKKKMbjwr0l3520lu8ERZfFpS33_L7F_1OXW56HH9_n1VrnE2ftv7wOrC8wiuTSYX8A7naFgS-tPyfp3HOUO5t5bIxHTdMMq3H9xHZ1YZSK4qmOctGjt1aeuBmhK0q2kmtRFv6a5rBbFXIRT_YwEByM_KFfBzPJLj064UxNaqT7
y4mMwVWnHwtvrWLFOkZsonxHkthND--ZQMPNC_021Uy5RdG-J2vfJVaE3roOJSHqDjt5KKZPuWQt4jB4wxr1gIKT_FV69zdkjsD0Wya7bZUvboFBO6jzgTu5qd2xGMXVB8S72a_TwuZrCaNc9tn-nrJIQ1jOFvQKVCapBCs0wfiZoqT-UEc7JxyV7Q_rL1J-XKY

Looking on toward Balgay, Blackness and up the Tay from Dundee Law - reflected IR and normal photo (through an orange filter) for comparison

(Note that this is in effect a reverse shot of the first image posted, which was taken from the large grass area on the side of Balgay Hill).

y4maOLAcorHKPcilpqn9zj3vlie-yZ9FuX_eV6xKDbf6-ONdfdeCTOv7yIB_k-M1Me20Orq9TDj0fn94OvYyKZENCtAGJDyBaUlYh77aJvwfEKXEtpwjnUl8vSrAztHyUP1IsjkXX1pifQ_r4VAuYYLEgrYkDaq715TY_Ho7q-GZXq6bO8sFrYS_gnu46dnLQxJ

View from Dundee Law of the Tay Bridge, Dundee University and Dudhope

y4mGAQxX8HdLHVojyBibukVRIDCAdIsH4s4j5vjp2RMV-_rv4OvaE0kCSNCkJQQ_mpQW8NqS4GvXFwhahqJgKJF_6o-j4Ze036XJEbkhNRNyf_LoA0aX9OvtpSnC3gRJ1gWx-mwJHqB7yncUiUxM7XK0DWsbNaa2o-MNGF40Ycb2T9b8Mz8aZe2Y8sZlRXksTCe

Lochee and into the Distance from Dundee Law

y4mjBNbi1AHPTaYgb78F5IatX8JA4fzLou3bNTyI56BieFdISsVFur5Z3DfM060F0lk85fAP7vHa8ARxxiN6xKMi6QevOyhUmsrLPc497DoJ4y5h95In4m1Bvuw0TA-MeRIFFFUIdLXBmdfTWvs2IbFpBFVt0l_mMl41_W3FZmMLjquvbqMJ8_qyLrqBU47TaI6

Looking on Toward Broughty Ferry and out to the North Sea from Dundee Law

I like the effect. A little dodging on your face would make the self portrait pop.

I particularly like the Tay Bridge and the Jute Mill shots.

I like the effect. A little dodging on your face would make the self portrait pop.

I particularly like the Tay Bridge and the Jute Mill shots.
Thanks very much! It is quite awkward shooting IR on film as you can't meter IR light and therefore have meter without the filter and then go on an assumption that the filter absorbs X stops. However, the amount of reflected IR will differ depending on the scene conditions. Fortunately, B&W film has wide latitude so exposure errors aren't too much of a problem. Then of course you have to remember to compensate for the differing focus with IR...

I had no idea what that self-portrait would look like as I wasn't sure how much reflected IR light there would be from the foliage, it was a case of setting the assumed exposure and focusing on the rock, using the timer and legging it over in the 10 seconds. My face probably looks dark as it reflects way less than the foliage. Here it is with a small amount of dodging:

y4mI0MOQQdCpiZQEgN1tHKBEiVIga0TMhHebUWn_yz4xGydazSoRDraVv4zvSWE7LRuVLKt067CnWAbgqWQtYAGXqi3hBnL73_wZUGWeVZY7U23VwwpwbH1pqKGkiFgi33dbOrlSDTpjRYhiIV3Yst6J57xdc-bPmcaNX6EEaDxZOypfIcgHO9yqQ2w2z0Ha5yj

I like the images, but I like even more seeing you back on the forum. I've missed your informative posts. Welcome back.

Thanks very much! It is quite awkward shooting IR on film as you can't meter IR light and therefore have meter without the filter and then go on an assumption that the filter absorbs X stops. However, the amount of reflected IR will differ depending on the scene conditions. Fortunately, B&W film has wide latitude so exposure errors aren't too much of a problem. Then of course you have to remember to compensate for the differing focus with IR...

I had no idea what that self-portrait would look like as I wasn't sure how much reflected IR light there would be from the foliage, it was a case of setting the assumed exposure and focusing on the rock, using the timer and legging it over in the 10 seconds. My face probably looks dark as it reflects way less than the foliage. Here it is with a small amount of dodging:

y4mI0MOQQdCpiZQEgN1tHKBEiVIga0TMhHebUWn_yz4xGydazSoRDraVv4zvSWE7LRuVLKt067CnWAbgqWQtYAGXqi3hBnL73_wZUGWeVZY7U23VwwpwbH1pqKGkiFgi33dbOrlSDTpjRYhiIV3Yst6J57xdc-bPmcaNX6EEaDxZOypfIcgHO9yqQ2w2z0Ha5yj
Wonderful explanation and the perfect amount of dodge. Bravo!

Looks like you've got the exposures in the right ball park - well done. I'd forgotten how grainy IR400 is in 35mm; some people like that and some people don't. If you want to explore IR film with less grain, I can recommend Adox HR50. I show some examples at different speed ratings here:

Looks like you've got the exposures in the right ball park - well done. I'd forgotten how grainy IR400 is in 35mm; some people like that and some people don't. If you want to explore IR film with less grain, I can recommend Adox HR50. I show some examples at different speed ratings here:

I was surprised how many of them came out so well with the exposure. Thanks very much for the recommendation, I like the grain with the Rollei IR400, but it would be nice to have a go with the Adox HR50 as well for a less grainy option. Probably have to wait until next spring now though. I'll keep it in mind.

I like the images, but I like even more seeing you back on the forum. I've missed your informative posts. Welcome back.
Thanks Stephen, I'm going to try and get back to doing more photography. I've probably done more in the last few months than I have in theast 4-5 years. I've got a few rolls that I did shoot though and got the negatives back about a year ago, I'll have to dust off my Reflecta Proscan 7200 and get some of them scanned to put up on here.

I do have a bit of a tenancy to remember obscure photography related things, so I'll see about how I can start contributing again.

EXCELLENT WORK and GREAT CAPTIONS -- just what is needed on a 'Photography Forum' - plenty of Photo Info !

Back