Ingleton Waterfalls

Name
Richard Black
Edit My Images
Yes
The girl friends parents came up today to see us and we headed to ingleton waterfalls (3 miles from my house yet never normally go there) So was nice to get out with the camera.
First mistake of the day.
Fitting my 70-200mm F2.8 Sigma instead of my F2.8 24-70mm :nono:

But these are some of the good ones, i took 400 shots :|
How i don't know.
Knocked them down to 55, and i'm still far from happy with them.
dsc_6095.JPG

dsc_6146.JPG

dsc_6187.JPG

dsc_6191.JPG

DSC_6374.JPG

Very odd tree growing round the wood
DSC_6443.JPG

dsc_6508.JPG

dsc_6538.JPG

Difficult to get a good shot with waterfalls unless you know what your doing (as I discovered last week :( ).

Good effort, the last image is my fave as its very unusual.

Great shots, the last one caught my eye because we saw the same thing at Malham Cove the other day - coins stuck into a felled tree trunk.

Does anyone know the reason for this?

Not sure really!
I wish i'd used ym tripod and 24-70 though!

I went round a couple of weeks ago after it had rained lots. Still haven't had proper chance to play with my pictures yet.

There have been coins in a tree round there for as long as I can remember. There are also a couple of trees in the woods around Bolton Abbey as I went there the day after but weather was too miserable to get any photos and I was too wet and cold to be bothered.

If anyone fancies a meet up for the waterfalls, then i'd be more than happy to come along?

Next month would be good for me.
I'm on duty for the fire service at bentham every other week, so if anyone wants to name a date i'll arrange to meet up as its only 4 mins drive from mine my dates are changeable.

not sure of the reason for sticking coins in felled/fallen trees...here are a some I took a couple of years ago, also at ingleton:

normal_101_0190.JPG

close up of the mid-section:
normal_101_0189.JPG

The entrance to the falls walk?

yes it is...been a while since I went up to Ingleton, must make the trip back soon!

vescri ..... first thing, you are very lucky to live so close to these falls. I visited the Lake District for the first time last summer only had one day at the falls and didn't know what to expect so didn't lug my Tripod with me, due to the heat on that day. Got 2 of my favourite pics though. Do yourself a favour and go back, a whole host of great shots is yours for the taking.(y)

[S1]Team Sony[/S1]

Not sure why links to my Gallery are not working? Can anyone Help? :shrug:

Managed to sort it......ignore this?????

HI Richard, At least you realise you need your tripod but i'd also use your shutter timer and your mirror lock-up. The wood eating tree is my favorite with the depth of field youve achieved, although handheld on a grey day i should imagine you didnt use a high aperture.

For waterfalls look at malham - Janet’s Foss and Goredale Scar

there's so many waterfalls in yorkshire 200+ im in the process of toging them all , but its going to be a couple of years before compleation . you NEED a tripod , not a bad effort though for hand held keep on going and experiment you'll get there !
yours gwh

Waterfalls are often disappointing to photograph as it's hard to capture the WOW you feel in an image

Then there are the exposure issues as a bubbling cascade is often white, the rocks often in shade and not far from black - so you have a dynamic range issue

They are tricky in composition too as nature doesn't think about art, and keeps putting boulders and trees in your way - often the best spot to take a shot is in the torrent itself - which I can't recommend you try :eek:

Many of the better shots focus on the detail of the waterfall, going over just a few or even one boulder. Slower shutter speeds demand tripods but getting a crisp rock with leaves, moss on against a flowing background can be a winner

I had a very successful trip to West Burton falls recently - only 1 waterfall was shot and I spent 2 hours there. I'll dig them out if anyone's interested as it's a great spot and more 'under control' than many waterfalls - if you're going there, put your wellies on as some of the better shots are at least ankle deep in water

(y)(y)(y)

DD

I'll definatly be going back, just a shame it won't be with a D300!
thanks for the tips and idea guys, i'll give them a try i just struggle getting the right exposure.

Back