Inherited some gear

Name
Dave
Edit My Images
Yes
I have recently inherited some vintage camera gear, I am getting a pentax K-5 so I can make use of the M42 lenses. All comments and advice appreciated as I am trying to find out a bit more about what I have got.

Ashai Pentax SV
Ashai Pentax Spotmatic II
Nikkormat N with 50mm Nikor-S Auto 1:1.4 50mm
Leica Modell IIIb Sunmar f-5cm 1:2 and Elmar f-9cm 1:4
Praktica MLT3
Ilford Advocate with f/4.5 35mm
Zeiss Ikon with Zeis Tesa 1:2.8 8cm lens
Voigllander Compur Camera

SMC Takumar 1:1.4 50mm
Super Takumar 1:1.8 55mm
Carl Zeis 1:2.8 28mm
Pentacon Auto 1.8 50mm
Ashai Super Takumar 1:3.5 35mm
Ashai Teletakumar 1:5.6 200mm
Palinar Wide Angle 1:2.8 25mm
Ashai Takumar 1:2.8/105mm
Ashai SMC Takumar 1:3.5/135mm
Photax 1:8 500mm
Hanimex 1:5.5 f=300mm

I wouldn't bother using the M42 lens,depending on how good con the stuff is,you should be able to raise some money,for some lens :)

Not quite sure what info you want but i'll give it a go, let me know if you want any more. corrected some naming errors you made.

Ashai Pentax SV: Good and solid M42 SLR from the 1960's, reasonably common

Ashai Pentax Spotmatic II: Same as the SV but from the 1970's with some improvements

Nikkormat ftn with 50mm Nikkor-S Auto 1:1.4: Nikkormat was Nikon's consumer line in the 1970's, pretty solid and decent SLR as you'd expect from Nikon, reasonably common, the lens is good again, what you'd expect from Nikon. £50 for the body, £70-80 for the lens.

Leica Modell IIIb Summitar 5cm 1:2 and Elmar 9cm 1:4: Not a Leica expert myself but i would say this lot together is worth £500-700 depending on condition. I don't think i'd have the heart to sell a Leica if i was given one i'd keep it and shoot with it, not much to say really, it's a Leica with Leica lenses, rock solid through and through, highly collectable and sought after.

Praktica MTL3: basically worthless but a not too bad M42 SLR, probably has the loudest mirror slap of any 35mm SLR i've used though.

Ilford Advocate with f/4.5 35mm: An interesting 35mm camera from the 1950's, sought after by collectors for it's unique style, worth about £100-150.

Zeiss Ikon with Zeiss Tessar f/2.8 8cm lens: I only know of a couple of Zeiss cameras with a lens like that, the medium format folders Zeiss Super Ikonta B or BX. If it's still working a great medium format camera, tack sharp lens, still sought after, £100-150.

Voigtlander Compur Camera:This is not a camera model, Compur was the maker of the shutter and was usually put on the front of the camera, easy mistake to make if you are new to old cameras. Try looking again for a model name, if you are unsure post a description or a picture of it.

I'm going to assume these are all M42 screw mount lenses?

Asahi Super Takumar 1:3.5 35mm
Pentax SMC Takumar 1:1.4 50mm
Pentax Super Takumar 1:1.8 55mm
Asahi Takumar 1:2.8/105mm
Asahi SMC Takumar 1:3.5/135mm
Asahi Teletakumar 1:5.6 200mm

All these lenses will be good, Pentax rarely made bad glass, if you want to know more check out this Pentax Forum review section for M42 Pentax/Asahi lenses, has more information than i could ever give on here; since you are getting a Pentax DSLR also a useful forum to keep bookmarked.

Carl Zeiss 1:2.8 28mm: Zeiss lenses are usually excellent, doubt this is an exception.

Pentacon Auto 1.8 50mm: Cheap kit lens, but pretty good, i was given one of these for free, can get them for like £10.

Palinar Wide Angle 1:2.8 25mm: Can't find any info on this, the top 2 search results on google are this thread and another one you posted to a different forum. Third party lens, probably sharp at f/8, soft in the corners, seems to be a theme for unknown third party lenses.

Photax 1:8 500mm: Pretty standard lens, looks to be T2 universal mount from what i can find on it, if you don't know what T2 mount is, it was a universal adapter mount meaning that you'd get the lens then buy a T2 to <insert your lens mount here> adapter and use it on your camera, if you want to use this on your new K-5, buy a T2 to K mount adapter on eBay, can easily get these adapters for nearly every mount in existence on eBay for cheap.

Hanimex 1:5.5 f=300mm: I actually have one of these somewhere, nothing special, not worth much, try if you want.

Back