Inkjet printing on 300gsm watercolour paper

Name
Adrian
Edit My Images
No
Hi,

I was wondering of anyone has any experience of printing on to 300gsm watercolour paper using an inkjet printer? If so, can anyone recommend a printer and perhaps more importantly, did it meet your expectations. Don't see the need for anything larger than A4. Struggling to find something that might be suitable. Thanks in advance.

This month's Black & White Photography magazine had an article about just this topic.

They recommend Ink Aid (https://www.firstcall-photographic.co.uk/inkaid-clear-semi-gloss-473ml-16oz/p597) which you apply to pretty much anything that will go through the printer and this makes the results palatable. I have tried printing on bamboo paper before and the results were awful - although I have never used InkAid.

300gsm is quite a heavy paper, so it would be worth checking potential printers to ensure they can manage it. Without knowing your budget, it's hard to recommend any sort of printer.

I think I read that dye printers are more(?) appropriate when using microporous coated papers whereas pigments work well on coarser uncoated "art" papers.

I think when I was testing out my then new ET-8550 printer, in a test pack I bought there was a sheet of water colour paper and IIRC the colours compared to the others were very dull & subdued......that may have been when I read what say in my first paragraph :thinking:

Yes, I did that on my ipf and it it's perfect for dreamy, misty, watercolor like images. You just pick a setting that is closest available and have a go. Colour gamut will be narrower like for all uncoated Matt papers. Have fun

Thanks for the replies. I’m actually looking to replicate black ink wash on water colour paper. Reduced colour gamut might not be so much of a problem. My copy of this month’s B+W Photography is still in its wrapper. Will be sure to read it once I’m home.

Thanks for the replies. I’m actually looking to replicate black ink wash on water colour paper. Reduced colour gamut might not be so much of a problem. My copy of this month’s B+W Photography is still in its wrapper. Will be sure to read it once I’m home.
FWIW

I also tried B&W on my ET-8550

I use Epson Print Layout to print from and it has an ABW (Advanced Black &White setting). It is my understanding based on Keith Cooper's @Northlight Images review, it will use both the Pigment Black and the Dye Photo Black.

I found that the solid black areas (deep shadows too) scuff and showed marks very easily. This was on both gloss, semi gloss & Matt papers.

So depending on your printer and it's inkset perhaps something to watch out for :thinking:

PS the actual tonal range of the B&W prints especially on Matt paper was very pleasing.

Last edited:
The Canon Pixma iX6850 has taken my eye. It's affordable and looks to be able to handle >300gsm paper. If anyone has one and has any good/bad opinions about it, I'd be more than grateful to hear from you.

I've printed onto various uncoated papers and the results vary between gorgeous and dire. Why not see what yr local art shop has on offer which catches your eye and have a play?

I’d like to see some results if you do use watercolour paper. Can you post some images please Adrian?

Cool ;)

I haven't bought the printer yet but will as soon as I do. Please remember that I'm not looking to print full colour photos, but things like this...

Inkwash XXVI by Adrian Day, on Flickr
cool image. I personally would go for dedicated 'watercolour' inkjet papers as you want a bit more punch and contrast than the non-coated painting varieties would give you. Canson, innova, permajet all have some options.

Back