Insect photography. Macro focussing rail?

Name
Roger
Edit My Images
No
I have the Canon 90d and Canon 100mm 2.8 non IS macro lens. I learn that I cannot focus stack automatically on my 90d as this lens being too old. I would need the newer IS version. So If I bought a focussing rail could I focus and stack accurately on insect macro photography without buying a new lens?

You certainly can - with the proviso that if the insect is alive it is going to move. Focusing rails are slowish to use giving the insect plenty of time to move compared to the camera adjusting focus with a stack.

As the previous post says, focus rails are rather tricky to use. It is difficult to get the camera on a rail on a tripod into the right position without disturbing the insect. Shooting a stack on a focus rail is also quite a slow process. The simplest alternative is to use "machine gun mode" to take a burst of photographs whilst you rock backwards and forwards. Just put it on the fastest multiple shot setting, compose, focus and then rock backwards and forwards a bit whilst holding the shutter down. It takes a lot of practice! The 90D also supports focus bracketting from the menus, so this can be used to take a burst of shots at a range of focus positions driven by the focus motor. Although, in my experience (using Magic Lantern on a 60D to achieve the same thing before Canon's firmware supported it), by the time you have set it all up - the subject has likely gone. For any of this to work, the subject has to stay completely still whilst you do all this stuff. Successfully capturing a stack of a live insect in the field is quite challenging, so best of luck!

Back