Insects in flight

Nice set, your hoverfly Syritta pipiens is a male. really like that wasp shot ;)

Very nice.

I'm envious of the Hummingbird moth shot, as I spent hours last year in Greece trying to get a image which resembled something like a moth....and didn't, as they don't arf dart about!

mulch

Thank you all for your kind comments.

Mulch, it was my lucky day, they are not so common but that day there were about 6 of them feeding of the same bush, and when they feed they hover for a few seconds. must have take 40 photos, but only 2 resulted in a decent image.

Ajopgotog, are you sure it is a male ? I read somewhere that the male's eyes touch each other, while in the female there is a gap. Would much appreciate it if you could confirm.

Richie, it's a canon 100mm macro. All phots handheld and using the onboard flash with a diffuser, as I cannot afford an off camera one.

Damage, nothing wrong with the hover fly, the legs are shaped so that they tuck into the body when in flight. For aerodynamic purposes I assume.

Ajopgotog, are you sure it is a male ? I read somewhere that the male's eyes touch each other, while in the female there is a gap. Would much appreciate it if you could confirm.

Yes it eyes are touching at the front in that species, google that species for a pair mating and you will see the difference. Some species are more easily to tell apart.

removed

Last edited by a moderator:
Great set.

I can't even got shots this good when they're still let alone when they're flying.

I love that Humming Bird Moth Albert, what settings did you use for that? I have seen them on numerous occassions, but never seem to have either the camera, or the right lens on!!!

Thanks Robbo. I spent hours today trying to get another but did not manage; all out of focus. Will try again tomorrow.

something I have never tried but think will have to give it a go!

Back