Inside A Cinema

Ian D J

Michael Fish
Name
Ian D J
Edit My Images
Yes
Thought I'd kick off the New Year with this collection of photos taken a couple of evenings ago (30th Dec).

A facebook pal had wrangled it with the manager of the Silver Screen cinema at Folkestone for us to have a wander about inside the building with our camera gear.
After a couple of hours snapping away to our heart's content, this is what I have come up with. This was taken in a gap between the afternoon matinee and the evening showing, hence why it appears to be empty.
It also provided a good road test for my new 10-20 sigma lens attached to the D3100. Granted, the horizontal and verticals are a little bit off in them photos but tricky to get that spot on with the lens and all those converging lines, though!

1)

Cinema2B_zps4130a077.jpg

2)

Cinema3B_zpsee5d1426.jpg

3)

Cinema1B_zps0d21f647.jpg

4)

Cinema4B_zpsbf28dc7f.jpg

5) This was once the official town hall/law building but was converted to as a cinema in the '80's. But, there are talks about the council wanting to buy the building back - hence this idea of capturing the inside before it may all be gone.

TownHallDec12_zps356c34b8.jpg

Last edited:
Love old conemas, love these photo's. Shame the last one has a photogrpaher in it but that is just me, great set irrespective of this!

These are excellent mate

The cinema interior is stunning and I think you've really done it justice !

The colours are fantastic and they look well lit to me

Hard to pick a fave but number is pretty damn good , I like the symmetry of this shot and the ceiling tiles really add to this

The last ones very good showing the exterior of this great building, here's hoping it stays as a cinema for years to come, it's got real character not like these soulless multiplexes we have to suffer

Very well done

:D Thought y'all you might like this one. ;)

It certainly helped to revive my flagging photography mojo, that was for sure as I did quite easily get lost in all this. I had the 10-20 mm lens for a couple of weeks by then so this was a good time to let rip with it. :naughty:

I will be honest and say that those photos were HRDed up using three different exposures. I tried to involve five exposures but they did end up looking a bit garish.

Last edited:
I keep coming back and having a look at these

A really good set

After looking again I reckon the last one is probably suffering too much from the converging verticals, at least I think that's the tech term !

Still a good shot tho, it's the interior ones that really work for me though

Ian you jammy beggar!
Love the series....good job!

:D Just got in with the right person at the right time.

I agree with mrgas's comment regarding the last photo (the building) - I wasn't even sure if that photo was "needed" to be taken with the 10-20 mm lens, whereas the convergence effect associated with a wide angle lens worked much better inside the cinema.

Not keen on the last and would have loved the first to have been mid-carpet in the foreground but a really good record and some good use of HDR to bring out the best and avoid the worst (y)

Back