North England inspiration in the north west

Name
Danny
Edit My Images
Yes
Had a bit of a lul recently and need some new inspiration. I live just outside of Stockport and looking for something new. My normal go to places are Weerneth low country park near Hyde and Castleton. I know I want to go to ladybower reservoir soon to catch a sunset. I have recently been to Padley Gorge in Hathersage. Can anyone give me some other recommendations? Normally like to photograph landscapes, especially if there is some flowing water. I have a week off work now so free to have a trip out :)

Thanks for any suggestions :)

Danny

North Wales for some coastal landscapes and then down to somewhere like Betws-y-Coed for hills, valleys and waterfalls? Or Ogwen falls - lake, valley, hills, waterfalls? Anglesey for coast, castle, lighthouses, scenery and sunset? Monday looks like it will be ok weather.

On the other hand...as you normally do landscapes then why not do something very different? A few hours in the city for instance. A change is as good as a rest...the challenge might get the creative juices flowing again....or remind you why you like landscapes!

Hartshead Pike and Tandle Hill aren't a million miles away and worth a trip for a landscape shot with the right light. Dovestones might be worth a trip too.

On the other hand...as you normally do landscapes then why not do something very different? A few hours in the city for instance. A change is as good as a rest...the challenge might get the creative juices flowing again....or remind you why you like landscapes!

Liverpool and Manchester offer loads of shooting opportunities. A trip to Salford Qauys could be just the inspiration you need to get going.

I'm off to the wrecked fishing boats at Fleetwood tomorrow.
Landscape isn't just trees and rocks!

Lots of water there, and it's high tide at 2PM. No body shoots those boats at high water.
Then there's Skipool Creek just up the road.

Last edited:
If you are happy to do a bit of walking how about part of the Pennine Way near Crowden? If you found a spot to park near the dam of Torside reservoir you could walk south on the Way to Torside Clough, or park at Crowden and go north on the Pennine Way towards Laddow Rocks.

Longer walks, south from the Snake Pass would get you to the northern edge of Kinder Scout or north from Edale to Kinder Downfall.

All of these are in fairly bleak and south of the Snake Pass, largely featureless country so being happy with navigation is necessary. It is often very boggy but given the weather forecast for the next few days it is likely to be frozen which makes the walking so much easier.

All I reckon are within about 20 miles of Stockport.

Dave

I've just come back from a nights star gazing in Gisburn Forest, Lancashire. Incredibly scenic in the day, and a dedicated dark sky area which means on a clear night the view is awesome!

Thanks for your replies guys :)

Will make a plan over the weekend ready for monday as the weather looks good :) we went to the lakes in october, was thinking of something that will take a couple of hours :)

Danny

Yeah I used a HDR pre set I have and then fiddled with it a little from there. I think it looks better on the second one but I don't dislike the first :)

I'm off to the wrecked fishing boats at Fleetwood tomorrow.
Landscape isn't just trees and rocks!

Lots of water there, and it's high tide at 2PM. No body shoots those boats at high water.
Then there's Skipool Creek just up the road.
Which wrecks at Fleetwood?

The ones at Jubilee Quay or am I missing more?

Back