Inspired by Dale

Edit My Images
Yes
Great to see you having a go, look forward to the results. (y)

I've lowered mine by another 2 inches to increase the width of the perspective on the water, whilst trying to keep the POV as low as possible too.

My eyeline at my desk is about 18 inches above the water. Just need the birds to get used to it and use it. Cleaned the window, and dropped the blind slightly, just need the sun to move around, early morning sun is direct at the window, but it does halo the robins well

We had a large brown rat on the sunflower heart feeder yesterday evening, which was dispatched with the air rifle from the bedroom window. We had a huge issue with rats last year due to next door not being careful with their chicken feed. tried every humane trap without success, they just took the bait every time. They ended up getting a pest control company in and they found a huge family under their shed. Lets hope we've not got that again.

Well, Dales right, you need more of a pond for the reflection. Or maybe I'll lower the log
A few seeds on the log got the robins interested, but they are non stop on he feeder at the moment and fighting the blue tits and sparrows if they try.

IMG_8699.jpg IMG_8743.jpg IMG_8763.jpg

You're getting the birds in, which is more than I can say at the moment :LOL:.

The first thing that struck me about my pool was how short it was. I have lowered it now and it is better but that bottom edge will always be an issue. The only real solution I think is to have pond that starts at the hide itself and extends out by at least 6 feet, maybe more. That way, there is no bottom edge, just lovely, doffy mushiness. (y)

Last edited:
That would work. I've a wooden frame I made to put growbags in for the tomato plants that I could possibly cover with black plastic if this works well.
The barrel was bright blue but painted black a couple of years ago but is flaking but it'll be hid behind a large bush/flowers when they leaf up. I've unscrewed the log and put it in the water, well see how that goes. I was out yesterday so left it with more seeds on it so they could go undisturbed.

Shots missed the other day was a robin washing it's tail by dipping it in...

I've got the camera set on the tripod now with a remote trigger so I don't disturb them with movement as I pick up the camera.
It's a nice distraction from work :)

Last edited:
Yup, my pool is nearly 4 foot wide and about 4 inches lower than the hatch, still not quite enough.

Getting there, the birds are coming in and drinking. I need to catch them at it.. The robins picked it as a singing perch now
IMG_8853.jpg IMG_8856.jpg

So a quick one on the setup, using an old plastic barrel, buried in the bushes. I sit about 6 feet from it by the window and the birds don't mins it at all. Not a bad office.
Camera is now on a tripod with a remote trigger by my hand. Excuse the rubbish phone photo.

20180509_164647.jpg
IMG_8859.jpg
IMG_8860.jpg

I want an office, and a hide like that. :LOL:

https://dunsterhouse.co.uk

Double skinned and insulated, floor, walls, ceiling. Double glazed windows and doors. Heaters and internet connection.
It was about £6.5k fully built, sits on pads rather than a concrete base as thats better for insulation.

One day, all hides will be built this way. ;):LOL:

Cracking building.:)

Cool, more success than me at the moment. Nice one. (y)

Right just changed focusing mode because I've been focused on the branch and missed lots, but the tits are bathing

IMG_9029.jpg IMG_9039.jpg IMG_9059.jpg IMG_9060.jpg

So I've been away working for a few days and the birds have really taken over. They are loving the barrel pond, there are birds on it constantly and they don't mind me just a few feet away

IMG_9313.jpg IMG_9404.jpg IMG_9407.jpg IMG_9410.jpg

I need to work on the focusing still, it's a lot easier handheld than being on the tripod
IMG_9063.jpg IMG_9081.jpg IMG_9146.jpg IMG_9165.jpg IMG_9200.jpg

Stop it, now, please. You're making me jealous. All I'm getting is pesky sparrows. :LOL:

Good to see it working for you. (y)

Stop it, now, please. You're making me jealous. All I'm getting is pesky sparrows. :LOL:

Good to see it working for you. (y)

Looking at the environment/setup pictures I surmise the difference between both your setups affecting the numbers and potential range of species might be down to:-
More and/or different food as an attractant
Greater approach shelter and perching places

Both of which makes the birds more interested in exploring a new situation.

Last edited:
Looking at the environment/setup pictures I surmise the difference between both your setups affecting the numbers and potential range of species might be down to:-

Exactly this. (y)

All Dales fault, I think :D

It's like rush hour here today

Id love to try this but we have sparrowhawks nesting in the garden at the minute so all the song birds are staying in cover

Back