Instagram - what a nightmare!

Name
Simon Everett
Edit My Images
Yes
I have just spent over 6 hours trying to set up an account....why is it so difficult? Also, how do you put pictures on your page from the camera (NOT your phone - I don't have a camera on my phone!)

6 hours?

As for the posting bit, Instagram is officially intended for posting from mobile. That's kinda the point. Although many will transfer images to the phone from a computer first or use some of the workarounds from a desktop browser. Warning though I believe this violates the terms of use.

You can get a lightroom plugin called lrinstagram this is installed into LR and you can publish direct to Instagram.

6 hours?

As for the posting bit, Instagram is officially intended for posting from mobile. That's kinda the point. Although many will transfer images to the phone from a computer first or use some of the workarounds from a desktop browser. Warning though I believe this violates the terms of use.

Not that I have any interest in joining, but is uploading from a suitably enabled camera allowed?

Me personally I export from Lightroom into my own hosting then download locally to my phone then post on IG from there.

If you have Microsoft Windows (I use 10, unsure about other versions), you can install Instagram from the Windows Store. Once it's installed and after you've logged in to Instagram from the Windows app, just right click on a photo and select 'share'.

I've fully migrated onto Lightroom CC now. I upload my RAW files or film scans into my Lightroom cloud from my laptop, edit on my laptop or phone, upload to Instagram from my phone. Very easy.

Apple, Microsoft or Google's cloud services will do similar.

I export images I want to post from Lightroom, into Dropbox and then download on to my phone as I need to using the Dropbox app. Simple enough.

Christ - are you all actually speaking English?
I don't understand 50% of the words you have used in your replies.
Going back up the page:
just what is an 'android flickr app feed'?
I export images I want to post from Lightroom, into Dropbox and then download on to my phone as I need to using the Dropbox app.....
please translate.

I've fully migrated onto Lightroom CC now. I upload my RAW files or film scans into my Lightroom cloud from my laptop, edit on my laptop or phone, upload to Instagram from my phone. This proves it, I am not capable of communicating in the modern world. Life, as I know it, no longer exists. What the hell is a 'Lightroom Cloud'?

If you have Microsoft Windows (I use 10, unsure about other versions), you can install Instagram from the Windows Store. Once it's installed and after you've logged in to Instagram from the Windows app, just right click on a photo and select 'share'. I do have a Windows computer, I have a new one with Windows 7, I have just got it. I can't seem to work out how you get the Windows Store though. Sounds promising, if I can actually go this route.

As for the posting bit, Instagram is officially intended for posting from mobile. That's kinda the point. Although many will transfer images to the phone from a computer first or use some of the workarounds from a desktop browser. I tried installing the program that various searches said to install (Blue Stack3), but was then told my computer or device was incompatible with something or other....

I think I will have ot give up on the idea, unless someone can help with a system I can use on my existing equipment.
I take pictures on my camera, my phone doesn't have a camera on it (Nokia 3310), but it does everything I use it for, makes the necessary phone calls - and the battery lasts me more than a week, which is very handy.

Last edited:
Christ - are you all actually speaking English?
I don't understand 50% of the words you have used in your replies.
Going back up the page:
just what is an 'android flickr app feed'?
I export images I want to post from Lightroom, into Dropbox and then download on to my phone as I need to using the Dropbox app.....
please translate.

I've fully migrated onto Lightroom CC now. I upload my RAW files or film scans into my Lightroom cloud from my laptop, edit on my laptop or phone, upload to Instagram from my phone. This proves it, I am not capable of communicating in the modern world. Life, as I know it, no longer exists. What the hell is a 'Lightroom Cloud'?

If you have Microsoft Windows (I use 10, unsure about other versions), you can install Instagram from the Windows Store. Once it's installed and after you've logged in to Instagram from the Windows app, just right click on a photo and select 'share'. I do have a Windows computer, I have a new one with Windows 7, I have just got it. I can't seem to work out how you get the Windows Store though. Sounds promising, if I can actually go this route.

As for the posting bit, Instagram is officially intended for posting from mobile. That's kinda the point. Although many will transfer images to the phone from a computer first or use some of the workarounds from a desktop browser. I tried installing the program that various searches said to install (Blue Stack3), but was then told my computer or device was incompatible with something or other....

I think I will have ot give up on the idea, unless someone can help with a system I can use on my existing equipment.
I take pictures on my camera, my phone doesn't have a camera on it (Nokia 3310), but it does everything I use it for, makes the necessary phone calls - and the battery lasts me more than a week, which is very handy.

Instagram is for smartphones. The Nokia 3310 isn’t a smartphone.

Didn’t know that! Thanks!

I've not gotten around to using the LR plugin as yet, but then I've also been told recently that it now doesn't work - I don't know if that's a LR update or Insta that's stopped it

If you find one that works please let me know, its on my "to do" social media list to start using Insta soon-ish

Dave

Clouds just online storage. You just need to get your image online somehow whether this is on Facebook, Google photo, Flickr or whatever. Once on there you should be able to share with Instagram.

I've not gotten around to using the LR plugin as yet, but then I've also been told recently that it now doesn't work - I don't know if that's a LR update or Insta that's stopped it

If you find one that works please let me know, its on my "to do" social media list to start using Insta soon-ish

Dave
You'd be mad not too if running a Image based business.

I've posted this before and have found it the easiest method for me.
View: https://youtu.be/dcA4qK82Tl4

Only it doesn't. For one thing the 'inspect' panel comes up along the bottom and there is no icon anything like the one he clicks to put the buttons on the bottom. My cursor remains the arrow thing too. I have tried each icon on the panel in turn and refreshed and none of them put those controls on the Instagram page on my computer. I might ask him if he knows how to do it for Windows 7.

Dave

Sorry for going off topic from the OP, if you’re doing it for business purposes you can use Hootsuite via the browser on a PC to upload to Instagram. It’s free for up to 30 scheduled posts too. I believe it will post straight to Instagram now for business (it used to still require Hootsuite and Instagram on your phone and some manual copy/pasting) however I don’t use that feature. I don’t do anything straight from Lightroom though unfortunately, maybe I should :LOL:

Sorry for going off topic from the OP, if you’re doing it for business purposes you can use Hootsuite via the browser on a PC to upload to Instagram. It’s free for up to 30 scheduled posts too. I believe it will post straight to Instagram now for business (it used to still require Hootsuite and Instagram on your phone and some manual copy/pasting) however I don’t use that feature. I don’t do anything straight from Lightroom though unfortunately, maybe I should :LOL:

Cheers - but on an iMac?

Dave

You'd be mad not too if running a Image based business.

Yep I'm aware of that, this last year has been too busy to even update the website let alone promote social media too! Its been on my 'to-do' list all year but it'll be mid October before I get a chance now

Dave

I think the problem here is that you're using a Nokia 3310. I doubt this has the necessary internet and app support to let you post to Instagram. I'm guessing this is why it took you a long time to sign up for an Instagram account, signing up on an Android phone or iPhone takes about two minutes.

You cannot post directly to Instagram from your computer. The whole thing is designed around a phone, so you have to get your photos from your computer to your phone before you can post them on Instagram.

The way to do this is to upload your photos to some sort of cloud storage service, such as Dropbox or Google Drive. Cloud storage is simply internet based file storage that you can access from anywhere on any device. So my process is to export my photos from Lightroom and upload them to my Google Drive account. I am signed into the same Google Drive account on my phone. Once the files are uploaded from my PC, I can see them on my phone and download them. Then I can just post to Instagram directly from my phone.

Why would someone who uses a real camera with knobs on want to join a social media site designed specifically for people who take photographs with telephones?

Marketing

Because an awful lot of those phone users will search Instagram for photo ideas for whatever they are interested in, kind of a visual 'Google' search but using a medium they are very familiar with

Other than that, I defo won't give it a second's thought!

Dave

Cheers - but on an iMac?

Dave

I’ve not tried on a Mac, however it’s all browser based so I’m assuming it’ll work fine in OSX too. It’s free to find out! :)

Why would someone who uses a real camera with knobs on want to join a social media site designed specifically for people who take photographs with telephones?

I had this misconception about Instagram before I joined too. There is a lot of really, really excellent photography shared on Instagram. Everyone in both of my feeds uses a real camera, not a phone.

Only it doesn't. For one thing the 'inspect' panel comes up along the bottom and there is no icon anything like the one he clicks to put the buttons on the bottom. My cursor remains the arrow thing too. I have tried each icon on the panel in turn and refreshed and none of them put those controls on the Instagram page on my computer. I might ask him if he knows how to do it for Windows 7.
I used it only the other day, so i know it works and I am using win7. You have to be in Google chrome for this to work.

Dave
Having not heard of this plugin before reading this thread, I installed it today and posted an image to instagram using it and it worked fine.

If you havent already got it, it's available here

Last edited:
Personally, I've never taken a picture with a telephone, I find the length of the wire a little restrictive. :)

Another one who just did the same, took about five minutes and I was posting straight to Instagram from LR, and I am not computer savvy at all. Whilst I don't like Instagram much most of my friends love it and have been nagging me to post, now I can do so without the hassle of transferring images to the phone I might be a regular!

Because the market I have broken into ONLY works on it.....it isn't for me, it is to get to the other clients around the country. They all talk to each other on 'Insta' and only 'Insta'.....

Dave

Ahh. I will see if I can find a fix I will let you know Dave!

Currently I just export straight on to my phone and upload from there so it’s not too much of a faff.

One of the points of photography is for other people to see our photographs. And Instagram is where people are going these days to look for all kinds of photography including those taken with what you call real cameras (although I don’t see why a phone’s camera isn’t a real camera).

Back