install advice for ssd

Name
Dean
Edit My Images
No
Hi guys,

I'm about to get this build fired up, but I've never done an ssd before. What is the process for putting win7, CS5 and LR on my ssd and everything else on my HDD?

I've only for my phone to surf while I do this. :)

Neil, as far as I can see there are no instructions for that. Its an ocz agility 3.

This might help.......

http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=367117

Wei = Windows Experince Index, although I think Neil said something about not needing this recently?

Probably find that Win7 picks up the non defrag itself.

As for the rest of your programmes, take a wee bit time during the install to pick which drive you want to use.

Thanks guys. I'll keep you posted. :)

One thing I'd do is disconnect all drives APART from the SSD when you do the install. SOMETIMES Windows doesn't quite get it right when installing on a machine with more than 1 drive in it.

One thing I'd do is disconnect all drives APART from the SSD when you do the install. SOMETIMES Windows doesn't quite get it right when installing on a machine with more than 1 drive in it.

Have learnt this myself the hard way

Luckily for me though I had other backups

Hi guys,

I'm about to get this build fired up, but I've never done an ssd before. What is the process for putting win7, CS5 and LR on my ssd and everything else on my HDD?

When you say everything else on the HDD what do you mean? Put ALL your programs on the SSD. If you have a reasonable sized disk you should be able to fit all your programs onto it and still have plenty of space.

My SSD contains my W7 and programs and all my images and other documents are placed on my HDDs.

THere are some registry tweaks you may need to do to get the most out of running an SSD.

There's loads of info on the web if you do some searches.
Here's one
http://www.ocztechnology.com/ssdzone/tutorials/operating_system.html

This might help.......

http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=367117

Wei = Windows Experince Index, although I think Neil said something about not needing this recently?

Probably find that Win7 picks up the non defrag itself.

As for the rest of your programmes, take a wee bit time during the install to pick which drive you want to use.

you should run WEI but i found that WEI didnt disable a few things on my system when i ran the samsung checker tool. so worth checking manually.

At the mo Im problem solving. Looks like the mobo is shorting on thecase.

So in my haste to change mobo the other day I ordered the wrong one. Bought one that only supports four sticks of ss RAM. D'oh!

Okay, I'm not sure anyone is listening, but I think they've screwed me a bit on this. The board I bought states it supports up to 16 gigs, but due to chipset limitations you have to use single sided for 16 gigs. Now, I've hunted and I can't find any of that ram available anywhere and the mobo website has none listed in the supported ram pdf.

RMA it to e-buyer...

neil_g said:
so whats the actual issue? is it not booting with the memory in?

compatibility lists are often miles out of date..

Clearly states only ss if four sticks.

And avoid the H61 chipset for the replacement eh Neil ;) :D

Yes. H61. That is my problem. Only 8 gigs in slot 1 and 3 will work. Put any more in and it wont fire.

It was a rush buy. My bad, but I'm going to complain that it was miss sold as you cannot buy single channel 4gig sticks anywhere so there is no way it supports 16gigs as stated.

RMA accepted. Now to find a replacement.

Just so you know. You might need to set the SSD up on the mobo before you do any installs onto a ocz SSD. Out of the box they don't come as fast as they say unless changed on the mobo. I will find the piece of software where you can test the speed that your drives are reading and writing at...

Also with an SSD you can only do a certain amount of writes to it before it stops working. I have just done OS and needed software on mine.

Make sure defrag is turned off. It won't kill the SSD in most cases, but will reduce its lifespan.

Also just as a side note, try and get a vertex series. When I phoned overclockers up they said to stick well away from the agility series as the have been known to conk out quickly...

Last edited:
Just so you know. You might need to set the SSD up on the mobo before you do any installs onto a ocz SSD. Out of the box they don't come as fast as they say unless changed on the mobo. I will find the piece of software where you can test the speed that your drives are reading and writing at...

Also with an SSD you can only do a certain amount of writes to it before it stops working. I have just done OS and needed software on mine.

Make sure defrag is turned off. It won't kill the SSD in most cases, but will reduce its lifespan.

Also just as a side note, try and get a vertex series. When I phoned overclockers up they said to stick well away from the agility series as the have been known to conk out quickly...

what he means is set your SATA in the bios to AHCI mode if not already.

Some of that made sense :). Too late on the vertex as I've already bought and unwrapped the agility. :)

You found a replacement mobo yet? If not, what features do you need and what sort of price....

I'm thinking this one. All it really needs is to work with 16 gigs of duel channel RAM and not cost a fortune. There will never be any overclocking on this build.

Not quite right. It's correct that the boards have a set amount of writes although a drive should last for many years in normal use.

The drive will NOT suddenly stop operating once the write limit is reached though - it will just not allow any more writes so you can still recover data off it as the reads should not be affected.

Correct that's good advice. Also don't INDEX the drive either. SSD's are fast enough searching anyway

Not quite right. It's correct that the boards have a set amount of writes although a drive should last for many years in normal use.

The drive will NOT suddenly stop operating once the write limit is reached though - it will just not allow any more writes so you can still recover data off it as the reads should not be affected.
Err.. no... that's not correct.

There isn't a set write limit, what happens is that the more often a bit is written, the more likely it will not read correctly. The manufacturers use error correction techniques to firstly correct the data when these errors start to occur and secondly they use this information to mark the block as bad so it is then removed from use.

Clearly, it is possible for there to be a catastrophic failure and in that case, it's then you lose all your data as sometimes it's the controller that fails.

I stand corrected :)

I'm thinking this one. All it really needs is to work with 16 gigs of duel channel RAM and not cost a fortune. There will never be any overclocking on this build.
Looks OK to me. Around that price, they're all much of a muchness and will have similar features. Check it has the mix of PCI vs PCI-e slots if you want to have any plugin cards and that it has the max number of SATA ports you'll need (that's how I determine my motherboards).

Looks OK to me. Around that price, they're all much of a muchness and will have similar features. Check it has the mix of PCI vs PCI-e slots if you want to have any plugin cards and that it has the max number of SATA ports you'll need (that's how I determine my motherboards).

I'm going with this one now. Does everything I need, I think.

arad85 said:
Well it's certainly cheap..... Only 1 SATA3 port (so single SSD at 6Gbps) and no HDMI - if those things are important to you....

And microATX form factor....

Good point about the single SATA3.

Well I was under the influence that there was a write limit and when it was reached, the drive was still writeable too but it could become a troublesome drive. as stated in this quote bellow. But most SSD's now a days from what I have read have a very high write amount anyways...

"Write Endurance: - The number of write cycles to any block of flash is limited - and once you've used up your quota for that block - that's it! The disk can become unreliable. "

Does it matter that you only have one SATA3 6GBps port on the board? Most standard HDD dont get up to 6GBps anyways... right?

Last edited:
Back