Installing Logitech C920s web cam - any tips before I start, please?

Name
Linda
Edit My Images
No
After an age hassling with migration, I am now ready to install my newly acquired webcam. I have not yet opened it... do you have any tips to smooth this but over as my Calibrite calibrator would not play at all yesterday and it would be nice to have one thing not be a pain in the neck. Thanks

Should hopefully be plug and play.

Should be very straight forward to do and pretty much plug and play.

I am assuming that you are using a windows computer.

Download and install the Logitech Capture software

Follow the onscreen instructions/prompts

Last edited:
I am will be installing it on a BenQ screen attached to a Mac Studio - Will go and check that out.
Should be very straight forward to do and pretty much plug and play.

I am assuming that you are using a windows computer.

Download and install the Logitech Capture software from HERE

Follow the onscreen instructions/prompts

I am will be installing it on a BenQ screen attached to a Mac Studio - Will go and check that out.

As you are on a Mac do not use the software I linked to as that is for windows computers.

Instead use this link for Mac instead HERE

The actual Logitech Capture download page can be found HERE

Last edited:
As you are on a Mac do not use the software I linked to as that is for windows computers.

Instead use this link for Mac instead HERE

The actual Logitech Capture download page can be found HERE
Hi I just looked at the page and for Mac it does not list Monterey or studio. I haven't opened it yet as this rather bothers me...

Hi I just looked at the page and for Mac it does not list Monterey or studio. I haven't opened it yet as this rather bothers me...

Ahh... Mac Studio, for some reason I total missed that.

Scrub the software them as it will only work on intel based Macs.

You should still be able to use the web cam anyway without the Logitech software

I contacted them and I was assured on the chat that it would.... so not sure what to think now. I might actually ring them as the chat person didn't seem to understand my requests at times.
It wasn't a bot.

To be honest you do not need the Logitech Capture software in order to use the webcam, all it does is gives you a few extra bells and whistle's

The webcam should work just fine on the Mac.

I got my Info that the Logitech Capture software would only work on an Intel based Mac from Logitech's own support page, full details can be found HERE

Hi - I went back and asked again today and today I was told it would not unless there was 3rd party software - they did not tell me what that might be! :rolleyes: :D I have asked that question and no reply yet....

Hi - I went back and asked again today and today I was told it would not unless there was 3rd party software - they did not tell me what that might be! :rolleyes: :D I have asked that question and no reply yet....
The very first paragraph of the page I last linked to in my last post say's the following:

You do not need Capture installed in order to use your webcam for video conferencing. Our webcams are USB Video Class (UVC) devices and driver support is built into Microsoft Windows 10 and macOS.

This means you can just plug the webcam in and it will work with what ever program you use that utilises a webcam

Well .. argh......
Screen Shot 2022-10-27 at 20.16.12.png

I am going to check with the Apple senior advisor who helped me with my migration to make sure there is such software in the Mac Studio before I head back to the shop where I bought it; I don't want to open it, try it and then take it back to get told I can't get a refund. I use a Ben Q screen and there might be an assumption at Apple that means I have to get some software if I don't get one of their screens. I need sound too and that is why I chose the 'S" model. Thanks . I will let you know.

Last edited:
Well they are right about the software.

However you do not need the software to use the webcam on your Mac

The webcam is essentially plug and play and will work with most programs that utilise a webcam such as Facetime, Zoom, Skype etc.

Well, another turn... I received another email from Logitech telling me that it would, after all, work with the software I had downloaded. I tried it with FaceTime as per a video I found on line from a reputable source. It would work up to a point: people could not hear me although I could see and hear them. I tried it with zoom and after reinstalling zoom - it kept playing a recording of my mic test to my partner downstairs. I reinstalled zoom and shifted the camera to the back of the Mac Studio. It worked on zoom - my main objective - but not on FaceTime. Any thoughts on that welcome!

Last edited:
Have a look and see if this article helps any - click HERE

I do not know much about Macs, but for windows certainly, you sometimes have to check the properties of each program you are using to make sure the webcam mic is set to the default device.

Have a look and see if this article helps any - click HERE

I do not know much about Macs, but for windows certainly, you sometimes have to check the properties of each program you are using to make sure the webcam mic is set to the default device.
Thanks. I read that elsewhere and could not find it on my mac. There is no listing for Audio devices as per this screen shot f the article. When I searched for it, it simply directed me to the Sound icon which has none of the screen shot you see here. It feels as though a solution might be closer though..... thanks for persisting. I told Logitech about this and the person I am communicating with has escalated it to their tech department. If you know where to find this, please let me know. Thanks.

Screen Shot 2022-11-01 at 09.09.24.png

HI,

As I said Macs are not my thing, I am a windows person.

However a quick search came up with the following:

On your Mac, choose Apple menu > System Settings, then click Sound in the sidebar. (You may need to scroll down.)

Click Output on the right, then select the device you want to use in the list of sound output devices.

Hi Milo... I got as far as typing Audio into Spotlight and the Audio Midi thing came up so I went up and booted up the Mac, opened the Audio. thing, set it to 32,000 and then attempted a Face Time with my wife and BOOM!

Sorted... thank you so much. :clap::D It is nice to start the day with a win - especially a tech win. :banana:

FWIW I use a Logitech app called "Camera Settings" for my Logitech webcam on my M1 Macs.

However, as you have it working, I'd leave it be.

Hi Milo... I got as far as typing Audio into Spotlight and the Audio Midi thing came up so I went up and booted up the Mac, opened the Audio. thing, set it to 32,000 and then attempted a Face Time with my wife and BOOM!

Sorted... thank you so much. :clap::D It is nice to start the day with a win - especially a tech win. :banana:

That's great news!

Thanks for coming back to let us know it is fixed, not many people do that so it is appreciated.

Argh! So I have the video ok but on a zoom on Wednesday, the damn thing recorded a couple of words that I said and repeatedly broadcast. Without my laptop as an alternate, I would have had to abandon a paid for session. No idea why this is happening. Help! I am just about to start a new project and can’t have this happen :headbang:

Argh! So I have the video ok but on a zoom on Wednesday, the damn thing recorded a couple of words that I said and repeatedly broadcast. Without my laptop as an alternate, I would have had to abandon a paid for session. No idea why this is happening. Help! I am just about to start a new project and can’t have this happen :headbang:

You need to mute your mic on Zoom when you don't want your voice to be picked up and broadcast to the rest of the meeting

Hi. It wasn’t me not knowing how to unmute/ mute myself. It was a very short recording of two words that just repeated over and over when I was in a two people only meeting. He could talk but as soon as I did, that was all he could hear from me. Mad. It’s making me crazy this erratic stuff.

Has it only happened the once?
Hi. This is the second time but I am wondering if it was not something to do with the other person's computer who had said he has had problems before. I tried again and set up a zoom with my wife on Sunday and it was fine. I wonder whether it could be the fact that there was an attempt [that I agreed with] to record the meeting; he said he had experienced problems before but I think he said - as I was switching to my laptop - that he had not had this happen before. I went to my Mac settings and, of course, I can't find it now, I had to agree to something to do with my screen. Logitech. chat people just tell me to move my cable, or upgrade my OS... as usual they reference windows in most of their instructions. I will try again today and see if it plays up. As you can see, I changed the format to 32,000Hz when the video would not work in FaceTime and that has not reset it self without my permission! Thanks for asking. If you think of anything else, please do chime in. Screenshot 2022-11-15 at 13.34.02.png

Happened again today when sharing my screen; had to leave the meeting and go to my laptop. Very vexing.

It is difficult to say what the issue might be without actually being there.

Can I ask first are you using a set of headphones when making your Zoom calls?

Do you use a separate mic?

Can you tell me the exact steps you take to the point this problem replicates?

Can you please tell me what your audio settings are on Zoom? (settings/audio tab)

HI Milo thanks for this:
- I don't use headphones
- No separate mic
- I log on to my machine having switched on the Mac Studio first; I make sure that is on then switch on the BenQ screen.
- I go and find the link to the zoom or open the zoom app and enter the details if there is no link
- I arrive with my video on when the option to enter the meeting is displayed
- after a short period of time, when I have started to speak [having already spoken] my voice is louped into very loud short bursts which i think is from something I have said but I can't hear it.
- it has happened yesterday on a zoom with someone from the same organisation. When I asked someone from that meeting to zoom with me immediately afterwards - a meeting they set up from their own home, it worked fine regardless of recording, screen share.

I can't access my zoom settings on the Mac right now, hopefully tomorrow as there has been some decorating in the room where it is usually and everything had to come out. I did chat with the Apple guy in Ireland and he has suggested trying a pair of earphones which it will default to as both microphone and speaker to those. I will next ask someone from that organisation to set up a zoom with me and see if the earphones eliminate the problem.

I will get my settings to you as soon as I can.

Thanks again.

I think I can say with almost certainty that there is nothing wrong with your system or set up.

What you are experiencing is unfortunately all to common with Zoom meetings that have multiple participants.

What happens is when someone speaks it comes through the speakers and the mic then picks that up and transmits it and you get what you have experienced - This is why it is a good idea to use headphones.

If everyone had a good set up and used headphones then this would cut out a lot of issues, but unfortunately this is not the case most of the time.

Ah right.- thanks. I will try the headphones and report back. I will cross fingers too as One of the zooms that went pear shaped was with just one person. Watch this space. Need to contact my friend.

Hi there- so early indications are that the headphones now work - hooray! Thank you. I realise that these headphones which I used to use with my iPod classic have a microphone on the lead with the volume control. Does this mean that I could not get a wireless pair? On a long zoom it is unhelpful to always be tethered to the machine. Thanks again.

In theory you should be able to use a wireless headset on Zoom.

Personally I prefer a tethered set up but I appreciate that may not be suitable for everyone.

It really should't be this hard. I use a Logitech 920 webcam and its mic, along with the computer's speaker for meetings using Zoom, Teams, Google etc ad it works just fine with all of them, and no need for headphones.

Something is very wrong here.

Something is very wrong here.

Not at all, it is quite a common issue.

Not everyone has the exact same set up and there are many things that can cause interference of some description or another in scenarios such as this - add in multiple users at the same time and the chances of a problem increases.

I do appreciate that some people, like yourself, do not experience or recognise such issues however the OP has experienced such issues and that is who we are trying to help here.

Not at all, it is quite a common issue.

Not everyone has the exact same set up and there are many things that can cause interference of some description or another in scenarios such as this - add in multiple users at the same time and the chances of a problem increases.

I do appreciate that some people, like yourself, do not experience or recognise such issues however the OP has experienced such issues and that is who we are trying to help here.
My point exactly, there should not be a need for a workaround like this.

Hi Milo. Well, after months of going well, I came back from holiday, plugged everything in to where it was before, cables labelled and I can't be heard or if I plug in the earphones, the loop returns. I have no idea what to do. The webcam is set to 32,000MHz.

I would appreciate any help I can get: jet lag, a throat infection, builders back in ... argh! This feels like an unhelpful close to last straw, especially when I have a zoom that matters coming up.

Thanks.

PS Update: below

Last edited:
In theory you should be able to use a wireless headset on Zoom.

Personally I prefer a tethered set up but I appreciate that may not be suitable for everyone.
Update: I included the quote so you would see this. After I updated zoom, I was able to get a zoom going with my wife on her laptop downstairs. However, when I put my earphones into socket on the studio, the headphones did not transmit the sound. I am wondering what setting I need to change, where and will hang fire with it and see if you can direct me to the right place without me messing it up further. Thanks Linda

I am assuming your headphones have a built in mic?

In zoom go to your settings by clicking on the cog, usually found towards the top right.

When in your settings panel go to your audio settings and make sure you have the right selection for both headphones and mic

Last edited:
Agreed, try Zoom sound settings. I find Zoom randomly decides what sound input and output it is going to use. Even going as far as deciding my old apple display can be the microphone, even though it doesn't have one.

Ok. Will have a look at that. As I plug the headphones into the mac studio, the output should be selected as mac studio - yes?

Back