Insufficient Nikon camera resolution

Edit My Images
No
I have a Nikon D50 camera (my first) which can take RAW files to a maximum resolution of 240. But I need a minimum resolution of 300 dpi (or so the photo editor has told me) so I ought to be looking for some new kit. Which Digital Nikon cameras are capable of doing this?

As a matter of interest what would the Canon minimum 300 dpi res threshold be?

Welcome to TP, Muddywellies.

DPI resolution is meaningless in RAW files. And you don't need to be looking for new kit. (Well, you might, but not for this reason.)

Your D50 can output images which are 3000 x 2000 pixels, so that could be interpreted as:
* 10" x 6.67" at 300 dpi
* 15" x 10" at 200 dpi
* 30" x 20" at 100 dpi

You get the idea. Most printers will ignore any DPI setting which is embedded within the image and just print it to the dimensions you specify (ie they will adjust the DPI themselves). But if a printer or a magazine requires the DPI setting within the file to be a specific number, then you can just change it in your editing software without changing anything else whatsoever.

you can change the DPI in photoshop, its just a function of how many pixels per inch there is and does not change the visual size of the image on a computer screen. TBF if an editor does not know this he is in the wrong job lol

you can change the DPI in photoshop, its just a function of how many pixels per inch there is and does not change the visual size of the image on a computer screen. TBF if an editor does not know this he is in the wrong job lol

A small correction - changing DPI that way is just changing the property. Although it does not change the size of the image but it may and will affect the size of the print if you will print it according to the image DPI. I.e. larger DPI will make the image smaller in print (for the same image size).

To OP: if you find that your DPI for your 6mp files is not sufficient for the sizes you want to print your image (for example you will want to print it 30"x20" at 300 dpi) - you have a few choices:

1) shoot a set of overlapping images instead of a single one and stitch them into larger one with some stitching software - this will give you larger image size and mode denser DPI at the same print size

2) try to use some smart resizing to upsize your original image to meet your DPI requirements at your print size - something like Genuine Fractals or stepping method (look at Fred Miranda software for this).

Welcome to TP, Muddywellies.

DPI resolution is meaningless in RAW files. And you don't need to be looking for new kit. (Well, you might, but not for this reason.)

Your D50 can output images which are 3000 x 2000 pixels, so that could be interpreted as:
* 10" x 6.67" at 300 dpi
* 15" x 10" at 200 dpi
* 30" x 20" at 100 dpi

You get the idea. Most printers will ignore any DPI setting which is embedded within the image and just print it to the dimensions you specify (ie they will adjust the DPI themselves). But if a printer or a magazine requires the DPI setting within the file to be a specific number, then you can just change it in your editing software without changing anything else whatsoever.

And forget the rubbish that says 10x7 is the max you can get from a 6 megapixel camera,I am sitting here looking at a pin sharp 24x16 on my wall that I took with a Canon D60,your D50 will give you at least as good as that

"I see"! Said the blind man. I simply assumed since my RAW files were available to me at 240dpi that it was the limit of my camera's ability. Not so. Using Photoshop I can get 300dpi in all my RAW images. Thank you guys.

Back