Insurance advice

Name
Julie
Edit My Images
Yes
hi folks

Looking for some advice on insurance companies for theft and accidental damage. Don't need any public liability as it's just a hobby. Who do you recommend and why? Or, do you add it to your contents insurance? Thanks!

I've got mine included in my home insurance, covers theft accidental damage and loss. New for old, on my last two claims I wanted different kit and they just transferred the money into my account. Can't fault it.

We've got Marks and Spencer's Premier home insurance which covers us for two sets of kit (mine and my wife's). I'm not sure if we had to declare specific items or just a maximum cover value.

Thanks everyone. Tony - appreciate all those links! I knew there was bound to be info somewhere on here. I'll give my home insurance a ring tomorrow. Bound to be cheaper - fingers crossed

Mine is on the home content insurance. Unfortunately I had to use it and no issue whatsoever.

Glover and Howe are my recommendation, really good service. Home insurance is good but I always think having individual insurance for your camera is the way forward.

Glover and Howe are my recommendation, really good service. Home insurance is good but I always think having individual insurance for your camera is the way forward.
Why do you think that?

Home insurance is the way to go, add it to your policy as a seperate item

Home insurance is the way to go, add it to your policy as a seperate item
Totally depends on what kind of policy you have. I did not place my Nikon 24-70 nor 70-200 as named items, yet they were fully covered. It all depends on the policy.

For me I'd rather keep the two separate. I don't want to make a claim on my content insurance should anything happen to my equipment so my home insurance premium stays low.

I actually now have much more in depth insurance with another company, public liability, employers insurance, indemnity etc etc.

For me I'd rather keep the two separate. I don't want to make a claim on my content insurance should anything happen to my equipment so my home insurance premium stays low.

I actually now have much more in depth insurance with another company, public liability, employers insurance, indemnity etc etc.
Hmm my home content insurance didn't event increase following a huge claim post burglary.

Naturally the whole purpose of having insurance is that you can make a claim. Most peculiar reasoning.

All the other insurances have nothing to do with it though. And if they are business related items then naturally it is a whole different situation. Although insurers like hiscox do cover business items left in your personal home.

I wouldn't recommend Photoguard, they have got quite expensive and charge for making any amendments, even if the value of cover doesn't go up.

Is there any drawback to using home insurance? I've been able to get the, to add 5k cover for about £30 a year and cover accidental too. £50 excess.

This to me sounds good value.
Oh max single item value is £2500

Last edited:
Is there any drawback to using home insurance? I've been able to get the, to add 5k cover for about £30 a year and cover accidental too. £50 excess.

This to me sounds good value.
Oh max single item value is £2500
Which company is this, please?

I did hve my camera on the home insurance but just taken all inclusive policy out with Policybee.

Back