Insurance on hols

Name
Ross
Edit My Images
Yes
Sorry it's a bit of a mundane subject, but now I've got quite a bit of pricey gear I've realised it's impossible to get decent travel insurance in case it's damaged, lost or stolen, so I wondered what you all do, The personal possessions totals don't cover it, but they restrict it even more to pitiful valuables and single items limits that wouldn't cover oe body.
So I've upped by home contents as that seems the only thing, but my main concern was theft of the gear or perhaps if someone broke into your room or car they'd take even more by walking off with the bags/cases. The issue then was that it's not covered in a locked vehicle, or very little cover, and particularly in a hatchback/SUV/mid-size car for the family without a self-contained boot.
Sometimes you don't want every lens on you and tripod every time you leave the car, particularly if you're going to a shop/cafe/beach where sand or water may cause more damage if you never let go of it. If I go on a long walk, possibly overnight, I often don't want all that weight, certainly not every bit of gear, and if you're not based in the same room all holiday, say a fly-drive, there'll be days you move in with every possession in the car and you may stop off somewhere.

So any recommendations for a really good cover that doesn't cost hundreds as it's just for a few weeks holiday (even better if it includes pricey non-camera valuables like prescription glasses, GPS, expensive hiking boots etc). Thanks in advance

Name
Bazza
Edit My Images
No
Eversure for me too, made a claim . They asked relevant questions obviously on how my camera got damaged. They then sent a case with courier to collect . Kept informed at all stages and camera returned even better than when I got it new. IE colour red corrected which i always struggled with. May not be the cheapest but I would recommend them

Name
Golfgod
Edit My Images
No
You have just made me check mine. Its very woolly on items over £500 home or abroad. Worrying.

Name
Toni
Edit My Images
No
I usually look for a policy which includes 'gadgets' and then select one with an adequate upper limit. Plus I normally take limited gear with me, no more than I can carry comfortably through the airport.

Name
droj
Edit My Images
No
An unknown guru was heard to say that insurance is no substitute for a charmed life. He was right!

Insurance agents, control freaks, and sometimes common sense, suggest that insurance is the only sensible option - and indeed, as with your car, sometimes the law demands it.

But if it's not about your livelihood, maybe free up a bit, and lighten the worry load.

Name
Jeff
Edit My Images
No
You’ll find that getting decent cover under your household insurance is the best value, dedicated camera insurance is rarely the best ‘deal’ unless you’re a pro.
Wise words for the real world Phil

Name
Jonathan
Edit My Images
Yes
... The issue then was that it's not covered in a locked vehicle, or very little cover, and particularly in a hatchback/SUV/mid-size car for the family without a self-contained boot....
I drive a Ford Galaxy, so don't have a separate boot - when I queried this with my household insurance they stated that it was not that gear had to be in a physical separate boot, but that it should not be in a place where someone looking in through the vehicle windows could see the gear - so in the 'boot' space, provided it was under the extendable 'cover', so was not visible, that was OK.
The impression was that on the back seat, with a coat thrown over it, for example, would NOT be OK, as it would still be obvious you had something there.

As usual with insurance, check the fine print!

Name
Steve
Edit My Images
Yes
Eversure. I made a claim, same as above. No problems.
I got a quote of them - it wasn't dreadful but the proof of ownership thing would be hard as I have so much second hand gear off here and grey imports where I cannot find the invoice.

I mainly shoot rural area's so I feel the risk of crime is less - but I always take some gear with me - and leave some behind so offset the risk of losing everything in one go.

Edit My Images
Yes
You’ll find that getting decent cover under your household insurance is the best value, dedicated camera insurance is rarely the best ‘deal’ unless you’re a pro.
I found the opposite- Upping the valuables away from home to cover the camera gear worked out more expensive than Eversure.