Insurance

Edit My Images
No
I am looking to insure my camera gear, and was wondering what companies everyone uses/recommends.

I've mine all covered on my house insurance. The more expensive gear is itemised on the policy but the run of the mill cheaper equipment is covered in the basic terms.

if your using the gear "professionaly"you need proper camera gear insurance, not house insurance what do you use it for?

if your using the gear "professionaly"you need proper camera gear insurance, not house insurance what do you use it for?

Yes I do use my gear for my job/profession. Last year my Nikon D3 shutter needed replacing and I had to fork out approx £600 on it to get it fixed. Im not sure if that would be covered by insurance if i was to get it as it would be caused by tear and wear.

I was hoping I could get some cover for that as I am sure soon enough my D3s will have the same problem

Yes I do use my gear for my job/profession. Last year my Nikon D3 shutter needed replacing and I had to fork out approx £600 on it to get it fixed. Im not sure if that would be covered by insurance if i was to get it as it would be caused by tear and wear.

I was hoping I could get some cover for that as I am sure soon enough my D3s will have the same problem
sounds like "fair wear and tear so don't know if you'll be covered for that although if i had to fork out £600 i'd "accidently" drop it and get a shiney new one :naughty::naughty: a lot of the boys and girls on here recommend this one cheers mike.

http://www.photoguard.co.uk/?gclid=CNC7wfDg7LsCFUmWtAodyj8AUg

Last edited:
I've got all my gear insured through Photoguard. I've got nearly £10,000 covered for around £350 a year and that's after having a claim last year when I did actually drop my 7D and getting paid out £600 for it. I've got the wifes gear insured with them too, but for a lot less. They sort out your claim with a minimum of fuss and they made the payment straight to the company repairing the camera for less delays. Have a google for them and do an online quote, there are other companies but the Photoguard terms are excellent.

Thank you Mike and modchild, I will make sure to take a look.

edit:

Just been looking at the site and I quickly had a look at "making a claim form"

It said I should enclose the original receipt. Most of my stuff was purchased second hand so would have no proof of purchase.

Last edited:
I'm with CLIIK insurance. Might be worth a look.

The 7D I dropped was second hand and they asked for proof of purchase. I actually swapped a 60D and cash for the 7D so I sent a copy of the receipt for the 60D and I made a print out of the thread on here that I swapped it with and sent them both off along with a bank statement showing the money transfer for the extra cash and that was it. I sent a letter explaining how I acquired the 7D and they contacted me 2 days later to ask if I wanted the money paying straight to the shop who was dealing with it or myself. I can't fault Photoguard in any way, the only thing that has changed on my insurance is I've now got to pay an enforced excess of £50 for the next claim whereas I didn't have to pay any excess for the first claim but I can accept that easily enough.

Back