Interested to know what heads you use on monopods

Name
Colin
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi People... I'm a sports & wildlife photographer, love a good walk with my 600mm, normally using a strap.

My main issue was, when I saw a subject, getting the lens smoothly & quickly into the gimbal, then tightening the screw, did try a quick release, but the lining up while trying to keep an eye on the subject was still a pain..

I have sorted my problem now, but was interested in what everyone uses, when moving around a lot or while walking...

Cheers Colin

Use olympus so 840mm equiv. is easily done hand held

Not really a wildlife shooter, but I've always used a ball and socket head on my monopods, mostly manfrotto I think.

I use a ball head, with the friction control loosened just a touch so I can move it if I need to, but still holds it steady and takes the weight.

FWIW I have a Sirui tilt head with Acra Swiss clamp.

Hi People... I'm a sports & wildlife photographer, love a good walk with my 600mm, normally using a strap.

My main issue was, when I saw a subject, getting the lens smoothly & quickly into the gimbal, then tightening the screw, did try a quick release, but the lining up while trying to keep an eye on the subject was still a pain..

I have sorted my problem now, but was interested in what everyone uses, when moving around a lot or while walking...

Cheers Colin
I use a Novoflex "Free" 50 ball head for this, which is an upside down ballhead (you need to look at the link to understand what this means). Not with a 600mm but with a 300mm f4+1.4TC and a 200-500mm f5.6 on Nikon D500.

The "ball" goes on the tripod mount of the lens, which I find helps me support the lens when I don't have time to drop it onto the monopod clamp.

The open top clamp is attached to the monopod and its very easy to drop the ball into the clamp when needed.

Once "clicked" into the clamp, there is option to lock it into the clamp so it can't be removed, with moving an unlocking slider or fully locking off the head with a locking clamp.

I don't think the free ball head is just as good as some alternatives as you can't adjust the tension: the monopod is just providing a "constrained" support. And the clamp needs "fully" tightened if you want to "fully" support the camera/lens when using both hands to make some menu/setup adjustments. Once tightened its' rock solid. It's meant to have a 7kg capacity)

I've tried various options and haven't found anything that 'overall" works as well as this. It's far faster to get the camera on and off the monopod than the quick release options I've previously used. But the undamped free movement of the ball (not that it's floppy) means you need to work a little bit harder at controlling the camera/lens position than you would with a tilt only head or gimbal/fluid head.

Recently swapped to a Benro SupaDupa with an integrated leveling ball function... I'm not using any kind of head on it. Not sure if I like it any better than just a more basic monopod with the Sirui L10. I just don't take the camera off the monopod, I carry it inverted with the monopod pointed up.

FWIW, it is a very bad idea to attach a strap to the lens and camera body like that. It puts a lot of strain on the lens mount and it will very likely result in damage (bent locking pin, stripped mount screws, etc)

(old picture)
Untitled-1.jpg

Last edited:
I use a Novoflex "Free" 50 ball head for this, which is an upside down ballhead (you need to look at the link to understand what this means). Not with a 600mm but with a 300mm f4+1.4TC and a 200-500mm f5.6 on Nikon D500.

The "ball" goes on the tripod mount of the lens, which I find helps me support the lens when I don't have time to drop it onto the monopod clamp.

The open top clamp is attached to the monopod and its very easy to drop the ball into the clamp when needed.

Once "clicked" into the clamp, there is option to lock it into the clamp so it can't be removed, with moving an unlocking slider or fully locking off the head with a locking clamp.

I don't think the free ball head is just as good as some alternatives as you can't adjust the tension: the monopod is just providing a "constrained" support. And the clamp needs "fully" tightened if you want to "fully" support the camera/lens when using both hands to make some menu/setup adjustments. Once tightened its' rock solid. It's meant to have a 7kg capacity)

I've tried various options and haven't found anything that 'overall" works as well as this. It's far faster to get the camera on and off the monopod than the quick release options I've previously used. But the undamped free movement of the ball (not that it's floppy) means you need to work a little bit harder at controlling the camera/lens position than you would with a tilt only head or gimbal/fluid head.
Interesting head...

Recently swapped to a Benro SupaDupa with an integrated leveling ball function... I'm not using any kind of head on it. Not sure if I like it any better than just a more basic monopod with the Sirui L10. I just don't take the camera off the monopod, I carry it inverted with the monopod pointed up.

FWIW, it is a very bad idea to attach a strap to the lens and camera body like that. It puts a lot of strain on the lens mount and it will very likely result in damage (bent locking pin, stripped mount screws, etc)
Strap to lens only..

Manfrotto 234RC head atop my monopod. Don't use it for photography, just under a monocular.

Using a Wimberley Monogimbal retro fitted with an RRS Quick Release plate on a Gitzo 4 series monopod. Works really well with the Nikon D5 and 500mm f/4.

GC

Wimberley MH100 and Gitzo monopod.
Works a treat with my 500 II and R5 (or the R7 if my OH decides she wants to use it)

Interesting head...
What was your eventual solution?

Although, I was using a Novoflex quick release (it automatically clamps when you click the arca plate into it) on various heads, before going with the Magic Ball free, it was the same issue with speed that drove me the Magic ball free.

I use the ProMedia Tomahawk head which gives really smooth tilt action especially when panning, also doubles up as a great carrying handle.

IMG_0953.jpgVE1A8765.jpgVE1A8762.jpg

Interesting head...
I've also just come across this,

which is obviously based on the Novoflex head.

I'm saying that, but before I found the Novoflex head I had "invented" the concept and bought the Novoflex, the instant I discovered someone was already making "my" invention.

It’s a lot cheaper than the Novoflex (£65), but being able to lock the Novoflex head makes it, for me, far more useful than this one.

Novoflex also sells their head with just a "cup" base, rather than a locking head, which is also a lot cheaper and you can reverse the head and choose whether you want the cup or the ball on the lens. This is what I initially bought, but upgraded to the locking clamp version, as not being able to lock the head was a problem for me.

I use an Andoer monopod head it's a Arca-Swiss with my 500mmF4

Personally I’ve always used the gimbal head that I use on the tripod, don’t see any other reason to use anything else, used to be a Wimberley, now a Gitzo fluid gimbal on a Gitzo 4 series.

Personally I’ve always used the gimbal head that I use on the tripod, don’t see any other reason to use anything else, used to be a Wimberley, now a Gitzo fluid gimbal on a Gitzo 4 series.
There's a lot to be said for using what you already have... it's not like this hobby/business needs to be any more expensive.

Same Colin...
Ahh, I obviously hadn't picked up up on the "Colin" in the OP or the web page (nor checked to see if they were one and the same). I did ask what his solution was (but with no reply), and now I know. Thanks.

Ahh, I obviously hadn't picked up up on the "Colin" in the OP or the web page (nor checked to see if they were one and the same). I did ask what his solution was (but with no reply), and now I know. Thanks.
Hi.. Myotis & sk66… apologies for no reply, busy week, I did see your replies last night but had just got home from giving a camera club talk.

Yes the SpeediGimbal is my product, I hadn’t come on here to mention the product or to spam it, it was of a post to gain some research, interested in what photographers were using.. that’s all.

I came across the Novoflex a few weeks ago, I agree, I like the design the cut out is great but not for big lens, The neck on the ball gives a little more angle, which I can still get by moving my monopod as in video. Mine is aimed at the large lens, that’s why there is no cut our or neck on the ball, just wanted a simple rest for my larger lens (400 & 600).

I didn’t want a lockable ball, just something to get my shots & move on, no buttons, no screws..

Last edited:
Hi.. Myotis & sk66… apologies for no reply, busy week, I did see your replies last night but had just got home from giving a camera club talk.

Yes the SpeediGimbal is my product, I hadn’t come on here to mention the product or to spam it, it was of a post to gain some research, interested in what photographers were using.. that’s all.

I came across the Novoflex a few weeks ago, I agree, I like the design the cut out is great but not for big lens, The neck on the ball gives a little more angle, which I can still get by moving my monopod as in video. Mine is aimed at the large lens, that’s why there is no cut our or neck on the ball, just wanted a simple rest for my larger lens (400 & 600).

I didn’t want a lockable ball, just something to get my shots & move on, no buttons, no screws..
What you came up with is much as I had visualised before finding the Novoflex: had I found it 5-6 years ago, I would have bought it., I might still do that, as I would love to compare it with what I have, and I'm a bit of a sucker for tripod heads.

With the Novoflex you can ignore the clamp or locking slide and just drop the ball in and lift it out. Both with the clamp and the socket options, but there is a little resistance to lift it out..

But aligning the slot in the socket, as you point out, can be a nuisance, I haven't found it an issue with the clamp.

For me the locking clamp part adds no function in terms of "taking" photographs, it just makes it easier if I'm standing still, or sat in a hide and want to leave the camera on the monopod and rest my wrists for a bit. But as I mentioned in my earlier post, it needs a fair bit of tightening to feel confident the camera is secure. I'm not sure how I would feel with a 600mm f4 on it.

What you came up with is much as I had visualised before finding the Novoflex: had I found it 5-6 years ago, I would have bought it., I might still do that, as I would love to compare it with what I have, and I'm a bit of a sucker for tripod heads.

With the Novoflex you can ignore the clamp or locking slide and just drop the ball in and lift it out. Both with the clamp and the socket options, but there is a little resistance to lift it out..

But aligning the slot in the socket, as you point out, can be a nuisance, I haven't found it an issue with the clamp.

For me the locking clamp part adds no function in terms of "taking" photographs, it just makes it easier if I'm standing still, or sat in a hide and want to leave the camera on the monopod and rest my wrists for a bit. But as I mentioned in my earlier post, it needs a fair bit of tightening to feel confident the camera is secure. I'm not sure how I would feel with a 600mm f4 on it.
Totally agree.. the clamp is a great bit of engineering, great idea, but too much manufacturing for me.. just wanted simple bits

Totally agree.. the clamp is a great bit of engineering, great idea, but too much manufacturing for me.. just wanted simple bits
Yes, your ball and socket gives 100% of the principal function, with a simpler and much less expensvie design. I think the Novoflex set is now around 300 euros

Can't remember the last time that I hand-held my 500 prime. It is always mounted to my ,Lensmaster Gimbal, on either a tripod, monopod or modified frying pan base.......I really must upgrade to a lightweight outfit!

I don't use a head on my monopod, attach long lenses direct to monopod

Saw a video some time back from a pro tog who was using a Manfrotto 222 head - the joystick one - which he adjusted with his left hand whilst simultaneously operating his camera with his right hand. Worked very well for him.

Can't remember the togs name but it was on YT. My recollection is that he used it in a variety of scenarios where he wanted flexibility to match his subject and a tripod setup was simply too cumbersome. He was working outdoors and I seem to recall amongst other things he used it with a model so he could quickly change the background seen in the shot, from say a building to vegetation.

As he moved around the monopod simply dangled/swung below the head. I've tried it and can see that it certainly works if you want/need support for the camera in a dynamic situation where you want or need to change position quickly. I used it successfully in Kew glass houses, etc, where it was less frenetic but tripods were a no-no.

Last edited:
Wimberley MH-100 Monogimbal with monopod. Works extremely well with the EF 500 II

Back