Interesting article on sexism in photography.

Name
Ben
Edit My Images
Yes
This just popped up on my Facebook.
Wex article
The issue is there and it's upsetting that it persists. Obviously things are getting better, but not quick enough. I see the biggest problem being caused by the demographics in photography. I am personally witnessing better attitudes towards the issue in younger people in photography while the majority of people perpetuating the problem are older men who, quite frankly, need to be less defensive.

When out and about I see more women with serious cameras today than I can ever remember before.

In terms of phone cameras I am sure I see more women using them than men.

I am sure I am seeing far more women photographers covering news, sport and weddings, than ever in the past.

it would seem perfectly natural that there would be more male than female photographers in some branches of professional photography than others. but this will change over time as it is in every other field of work.

I only remember two names of fellow female photographic students in 1956 one was Tina Tranter and the other Jane Gate but I recall at least two others but not their names, one was Persian and the other French. Our group was probably around a dozen, so four females seems good for that time.
There was absolutely no bias against them at all. Why should there be?
However the only female instructor taught us retouching... from airbrushing to knifing.

I'm an older man and I resent that remark. (Tongue in cheek) Ran a camera club in a primary I taught at and the girls were as equally enthusiastic as the boys. They had a better eye for a composition than the boys. I'll now be in trouble for that remark. :coat:

It's unclear as to how big of an issue there is. Is there any evidence of women being deliberately overlooked for publication / work based on their gender? It's impossible to draw that conclusion based on the mix of work being published unless you know the makeup of the submissions. However I understand the perspective that doesn't mean women don't feel discriminated against.

From experience, there are certainly a lot of women on photography courses at colleges and universities. But I've noticed that when I visit camera clubs to do talks, in general, it's probably 80/20 men / women. And this forum seems to be predominantly male. I'd be very interested to here a female perspective on this.

I can think of loads of female photographers past and present who are widely published and appreciated, and for whom photography is or has been in some form their livelihood. Look at photo exhibitions and books, or the pages of (say) Source or The BJP. And there are legions of working women photographers in the commercial realm. So it seems that the writer's complaint is aimed at the popular press, which has other things to answer to as well.

The issue isn't only with attitudes towards female photographers, but also many male attitudes and actions towards female models, likely exacerbated by the larger number of male photographers. I have a few friends that are models, and the experiences the female models have compared to the male models can range from cringey to down right scary. The things said to and expected of female models can be disgusting.
Obviously there are ways to avoid the photographers that act like this, but until someone has experienced it and spoken out about them, it's hard for other models to avoid them. The groups and websites where photographers work with models to exclude these type of people are a great resource, but someone still has to experience it before the person is ostracised from the community.

Well, it's obviously easier for a man to be able to hold a real camera...

:D

She writes “But why is it a big deal for, say, a company to use only male ambassadors and not a single woman? Why is it a big deal to advertise your latest product using a topless female model? These are perfect examples ...”

But they aren’t even examples since she doesn’t give the references to actual cases* so I read no further.

* yes I know such cases exist.

She writes “But why is it a big deal for, say, a company to use only male ambassadors and not a single woman? Why is it a big deal to advertise your latest product using a topless female model? These are perfect examples ...”

But they aren’t even examples since she doesn’t give the references to actual cases* so I read no further.

Actually there's a trend in advertising at the moment to have the strong, clever woman and dumb male. Just watch adverts on the TV...

It's a pretty obvious reference to the Nikon Ambassador campaign and one from Fuji. Most people in the industry should get that.

I've noticed that when I visit camera clubs to do talks, in general, it's probably 80/20 men / women.
That's interesting. I would concur. However, the membership list of my camera club (Maidenhead) is 60/40 M/F. And for people who have joined within the last 5 years, it's 55/45 M/F.

upload_2017-11-15_16-22-33.png

It's a pretty obvious reference to the Nikon Ambassador campaign and one from Fuji. Most people in the industry should get that.
I guess you didn’t spot my footnote. Someone writing this kind of article should be more careful. And by the way, the Nikon case happens to be a not very good example as I’m sure you know.

I think in this day and age, with so many photographs everywhere we look, and in probably a much briefer and more transient way than in previous decades, I don't think people particularly notice if the photographer is male or female, transgender or any other gender, they're just 'a name' beneath the photograph (if that), that's all. Gone are the days when photographers like Lichfield and Bailey could become household names, appearing in adverts on TV, etc. Sexism? Let the photos speak for themselves and the photographers behind them come second, whatever gender they are.

Last edited:
Photography seems like one of those professions/hobbies where it doesn't matter what sex you are (or aren't).
It's the results that matter.
I was reading through a Canon AE1 manual the other day (as one does, to help a fellow snapper) and some of the illustrations were - of their day :) - a bit dated (obviously)

I was reading through a Canon AE1 manual the other day (as one does, to help a fellow snapper) and some of the illustrations were - of their day :) - a bit dated (obviously)

Is that the rather 'patriarchal' type cartoon based version? if so, I remember seeing that a while back and was quite surprised at the difference between that and the Canon A1 manual. Both of a similar time but like chalk and cheese, with the A1 version being like a cross between a modern manual and a booklet on SLR photography. I'm glad to say I bought an A1 back in the day, so I think it must have been the more modern and forward-thinking demographic they were aiming at with that camera! :D ;)

Last edited:
Yep.
I Googled 'camera adverts 70's' and there was a distinct lack of sexist adverts. (I'd already tried 'sexist')
Beer and cigarettes came out the worst.
Same for the 60's - nothing obvious.

Maybe it's just our perception of how it used to be?

"So, publishers, please seek out women to include, represent and mentor. Photographers, put forward your female peers".

Is that not sexist in its own right?

I don't think it's just adverts for cameras that were in question, more a case of female models being used in general in advertising photos as eye candy. Obviously, this isn't always the case, and some of the ideas being thrown around in the media at the moment are a bit silly. E.g. Criminalising sexual harassment at all times, not just at work. Bare with me, I don't think this is an entirely bad idea, I just think it's likely to be difficult to draw the line between a criminal offense and innocent flirting.

Miranda seemed to be the worst offender from my quick Goog.

I think you really need to be in the car industry for the use of naked and semi naked models. TVR used naked models at one motor show (Google susan shaw tvr)
Or just old adverts on TV - think Linda Bellingham and Oxox, cooking for the family, cleaning up...

Then mix that with the todays adverts for Money Supermarket, Builders vs Strutters dancing, prancing, twerking, and the strong woman at the end they all run aways from...

"So, publishers, please seek out women to include, represent and mentor. Photographers, put forward your female peers".

Is that not sexist in its own right?

Nope. Anecdotally there appears to be just as many women as men taking photos, it often appears there's more women at times.

Women however are under represented in the photographic industry. Is this due to sexism in the industry, or a lack of interest by women, or both ?
The statement above seems fair enough on all counts to push women's photography forward.

The statement above seems fair enough on all counts to push women's photography forward.

Yep. I was 100% in favour of Getty News's female only internship for a press photographer. We need more women in our industry.

I don't think it's just adverts for cameras that were in question, more a case of female models being used in general in advertising photos as eye candy. Obviously, this isn't always the case, and some of the ideas being thrown around in the media at the moment are a bit silly. E.g. Criminalising sexual harassment at all times, not just at work. Bare with me, I don't think this is an entirely bad idea, I just think it's likely to be difficult to draw the line between a criminal offense and innocent flirting.

Happens both ways, remember Nick Kamen in Levi ads and the Diet coke ads? Sex sells!

Nope. Anecdotally there appears to be just as many women as men taking photos, it often appears there's more women at times.

Women however are under represented in the photographic industry. Is this due to sexism in the industry, or a lack of interest by women, or both ?

Part of this could be down to attitudes many years ago. For example in 60s and 70s it was still encouraged for men to go down the mines/drive lorries/building and women to be nurses and secretaries, so with many togs being in 50s & 60s its natural that most will be men. It is however a pointless story. These days if the balance is not 50/50 then people will shout sexism!!

Part of this could be down to attitudes many years ago. For example in 60s and 70s it was still encouraged for men to go down the mines/drive lorries/building and women to be nurses and secretaries, so with many togs being in 50s & 60s its natural that most will be men. It is however a pointless story. These days if the balance is not 50/50 then people will shout sexism!!
Well, considering the huge change in attitudes over the last few decades, why is it do you think that there aren't as many woman in the photographic industry? Perhaps they're simply not as good photographers as men?

Back