Interesting Flickr streams for filmies

Name
Nige
Edit My Images
No
Last edited:
Anyone got any similar ones they'd like to share?

Well I've got loads being an old fart, the early ones are prints 1" sq or 6cm X 6cm.... dunno where the negs are, and in the fifties only had crappy cameras and got results like this:-

Rush hour in the early fifties (nah probably sunday), still got gas lamps and trolley bus lines..probably taken with a coronet camera :D

Last edited:
Well I've got loads being an old fart, the early ones are prints 1" sq or 6cm X 6cm.... dunno where the negs are, and in the fifties only had crappy cameras and got results like this:-

Rush hour in the early fifties (nah probably sunday), still got gas lamps and trolley bus lines..probably taken with a coronet camera :D

I love stuff like this. Little snapshots of history. It's the sort of picture that, while probably mundane when shot, now acts like a time-capsule of how things used to be - the shops, vehicles, brands, fashions etc.

Where was this taken Brian? With shots like this I like to go and look at places on Google Streetview to see how they've changed in the intervening years.

I love stuff like this. Little snapshots of history. It's the sort of picture that, while probably mundane when shot, now acts like a time-capsule of how things used to be - the shops, vehicles, brands, fashions etc.

Where was this taken Brian? With shots like this I like to go and look at places on Google Streetview to see how they've changed in the intervening years.

Cricklewood lane, Childs Hill NW2 outskirts of London...opp Moss's store we used to live at 366a..we each have a own history and mine was all around the area from about 1942-to 1958 and find the advert of the boy delivering bread in the Hovis advert (going up a steep hill) amusing as I used the same bike delivering boxes of vegetables, also up very steep hills going up to Hampstead Heath.

Cricklewood lane, Childs Hill NW2 outskirts of London...opp Moss's store we used to live at 366a..we each have a own history and mine was all around the area from about 1942-to 1958 and find the advert of the boy delivering bread in the Hovis advert (going up a steep hill) amusing as I used the same bike delivering boxes of vegetables, also up very steep hills going up to Hampstead Heath.

Thanks. It's always interesting to see how places have changed, I find.

And there it is!

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.5...aN7Yt5eDF1OsSpH9pg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656!6m1!1e1

Last edited:
That's not what I've heard.

Didn't you have to keep your socks on and the light off back then?

Aah, perhaps you're right after all.

Well excuses have changed as my friend didn't have a father and he said his father was killed in the war (well I was 12 years old and made sense to me) and it was only many years later I was told she was an unmarried mother...hey we are going off topic :eek:

Thanks...interesting if you live in New York but the streets don't mean much to me.

Does anyone else find Flickr quite dull/dry to use in terms of finding new photographers? I seem to have more luck following the #believeinfilm tag on Twitter. It's a shame, because Flickr must have such a sheer amount of film 'togs on there.

You're kidding, right?

People are usually interested in people, shots of people in any country on how they lived (wish there were cameras around going back a few 1000 years ;))...e.g. http://www.boredpanda.com/colorized-vintage-old-photos-russia/ Now old kodachrome shots of London streets (or town, city of you choice) that would be interesting. I don't know the streets of New York, but got bored after the first 2 pages maybe from then on it got more exciting.........

I've grown up on a diet of American pop-culture, so I find these pictures very appealing. I have been to New York, but would hardly consider myself well versed in its streets, but I love the vintage branding, fashions, vehicles etc. on display. I'd be equally happy if it were Los Angeles or Akron, Ohio though to be honest. Similarly, if it were shots of London or any other place. Seeing similar photos of places I'm familiar with obviously has even greater impact, but I don't find unfamiliar locations offputting to any real degree. Plus the lashings of Kodachrome colour is the icing on the cake for me.

It's all subjective, of course, but for me this sort of thing pushes all the right buttons .

:D

I'd like to know what Cleopatra look like, she must have had something to captivate Julius Caesar and Mark Anthony ;)

I promise not to go off topic again in this thread....

According to someone who had seen her (and might have been biased) she was no great shakes in looks department (her nose being picked out for special mention) but what she did have in spades was personality and a (how to express this delicately?) considerable proficiency in one of the carnal arts.

On topic, personally I find old streets invariably interesting. And the Kodachrome colours are always wonderful.

Back