Interesting news from Nikon

Name
Lee
Edit My Images
Yes
If this is true its certainly going to be an interesting future for DSLR's :).

Well you didn't think the D3 would be the only FF Nikon did you?

No, but its nice to see they are already looking at rolling it down to the lower models.

Its only a matter of time until all DSLR's are full frame. Its just what is that time frame?

You wait... 10 years time...

Nikon/Canon/whoever announce their first 'TOTAL' point n shoot camera, basic specs released today include:

6x4.5cm sensor
40mp
ISO range 10-40,000
fixed lens optical zoom range (35mm equivalent) 6 (with fisheye option) to 1,200 mm f1.4 with Image Stabilizer
15 frames per sec for a 100 shot burst on 40gb flashcard
ev range 10 stops
weight 1kg
totally waterproof to 100m
RRP £99

It'll be interesting to see how they do that. With the D200, they waited until everbody who was going to buy a D2X right off had done so, then they released the D200 with say 90% of the capability of the D2X.

This time though, they released the D3 and D300 in parallel. Although most of the functionality is the same, I think you could say the apparent capabilities of their new FF sensor (e.g. much better low ISO, dynamic range etc) mean there's a bigger gap between it and the D300 than there was between the D2X and the D200.

I'm not in any rush to replace my D200 with a D300, I'm not a sports photog or whatever, who cares about the new AF system that much. I might be very interested though, if there was a version with the larger, much better sensor that I could actually afford, ie Dx00 priced. So I'm sure they'd sell plenty.

My favorite bit of the linked article was this bit

Asked specifically if Nikon plans a 5D equivalent, he wouldn't share specifics, but did add that it "doesn't take a rocket scientist" to see the D3 has tantalized some photographers who aren't served by the D3. "That leaves a lot of other photographers out there intrigued."

To my mind it's obvious that the 5D and 1DS equivalents are missing from the Nikon line up. I think that the 5D equivalent will be the one that will really make the Nikon v Canon arguement kick off again (at the moment Canon has the slight edge). But then again I am a Rocket Scientist (well I work for a company that makes and launches satellites). :LOL:

I suspect that we won't see any more Nikon FFs until next year and Nikon will probably wait until after Canon have launched the 5D MkII, before they launch theirs.

Start Saving now!!!

Its only a matter of time until all DSLR's are full frame. Its just what is that time frame?

I agree that FF DSLRs will become more common and I think that within 5 years time someone will produce a Enthusiast FF DSLR priced at the D80 / 40D level. But we must remember that there are distinct advantages to the smaller sensor for certain subjects e.g. sports and wildlife where the lens magnification factor is really good for them. Now the market has realized these benefits I think it will be difficult for a manufacturer to remove this from their range.

Whilst I know that you can set a FF to crop directly in the camera but by doing this you are then loosing a fair proportion of pixels and therefore the final image size is reduced. Also with the noise issues associated with smaller pixel sizes on high MP APS sensors are becoming less too as technology advances. All of these factors together means I really think the APS sensor size is here to stay.

From the Nikon F in 1959 to the D3, from Canon F1 in 1971 to the 1Ds Mk111, and all in less than 50 short years, and in the next 50?????.

Well after seeing the latest D3 shots by Yves I've put myself on the pre-order list for the D3. Hell it's only money and the low ISO noise ( even at lower ISO's ) without using flash will suit my shooting style. Now the nervous and exciting wait...

Well after seeing the latest D3 shots by Yves I've put myself on the pre-order list for the D3. Hell it's only money and the low ISO noise ( even at lower ISO's ) without using flash will suit my shooting style. Now the nervous and exciting wait...

Much jealous.(y)

Its not surprising, but its good news from Nikon. I would love to go full frame for the ISO noise control, but simply can't justify or afford the price of the D3 at the moment. If I was a Canonian, I could definitely see me being a 5D owner, so a Nikon equivalent is excellent news. Lets hope its priced <£1000. I'm also looking forward to see if Nikon come out with a 1Ds competitor. :)

Well my decision not to wait for a D5 rival is based on two things.

The first being when it does come out ( and I can't honestly see it before the end of next year ) it's going to be a £2-£2.5k camera. The D300 is £1300 so it will have to be significantly more expensive not to hurt D300 sales. I'd rather get the extra moneys worth out of the camera with shooting with the D3, than waiting for a Camera that may or may not appear in an unknown timeframe.

The second reason was the 1Ds competitor you're talking about. Yup there will be one. But if you can't afford a D3 then you won't be able to buy a D3x ( or whatever ) either, the Nikon equivelent of the D1s, going by current pricing against Canon, will be about £5500. I can't afford that, the D3 is pushing my limit, plus I don't need the extra MP. I *thought* I did for a while then I worked out my effective focal lengths I use most often. Even now I only use a 1.4x with my 300mm, so by getting a 2x TC I gain all the reach I'm loosing by going full frame. And the 24-70 fills the gap between my 10-20 and 28-70 I use now as I use the long end of the 10-20 most often. I'll probably pick up a 17-35 at some point in the future to get my landscape fix when the funds recover.

Then there was another reason... I wanted one :LOL:

Well I wouldn't be able to afford a D3 or D3(X?) now, but I suspect my next body to be a D300 or D2Xs. The body after that however (~5 years?), I might be able to afford and justify a top end model, especially as the second hand price of a full frame model would have dropped by then. Having said that, I can also see me lusting after a 10x8 film camera by then.(y)

Well I love the feel of my D2x so I couldn't go back to a non-pro body without the integrated grip. I've developed expensive tastes :LOL:

How much does the 'feel' differ from a battery grip to an integrated grip? Its one of the main reason I am considering the D2Xs, as I tend to shoot a lot in portrait orientation, so any camera I got would need a vertical grip and shutter, be it integrated or battery grip.

For me it was a huge difference. I was never happy that the grip on my D200 would stay on the camera, and it never felt 100% solid. Also the shape of the grip itself wasn't as comfortable to me as the one on the D2x. I think it's a personal thing. To me the D2x feels almost indestructable, the D200+grip I had was just "OK" but didn't inspire me with confidence. I often carry my D2x with a telephoto on it by the vertical grip. I would never do that with a D200+grip.

Whether the D300 + grip will be better I don't know, but I think the shape of the grip will be similar and not as comfortable. All in my opinion of course.

Back