Beginner Interfit ex150 advice

Name
Julie
Edit My Images
Yes
hi guys

Beginner studio light owner here:

I bought a preloved set of interfit ex150 studio lights to try and learn about lighting and strobes.

They came with neewer radio triggers and also a sync cable.

I have a d610 - no PC socket.

I tried the neewer kit - here's my limited knowledge on show - trigger in each head and receiver on hot shoe - I think that's the right terms. Didn't work.

The bit in the back of the head flashed the heads when I turned them on/off. When I pressed the button on the bit on top of the hotshoe, nothing. Dead.

How do I get this kit to work wirelessly?

Thank you

Have you changed all the batteries and checked the channels.

Before connecting the triggers to anything you should be able to test them, there should be LEDs that indicate the triggers received the signal from the transmitter.

The transmitter (usually a smaller unit with a button on it) goes on your camera, the receiver goes into your flash head.

As Phil says they usually have an LED on top which will tell you if the battery still has juice and if they're working. If the flash heads are firing when you turn on the receiver that would suggest the receiver is working and most likely the transmitter has run out of power. Assuming it's the transmitter I think it is you'll need a CR2 battery.

If when you press the fire button on the transmitter its LED is working then you may need to check the dip switches (usually a set of two or four small switches, they should match between transmitter and receiver) are set to the right channel.

I looked for a place to put the battery on the receiver. Couldn't find where you slide the back off. Will look again. Thank you guys :)

Edit: crossed post with Simon :)

As Phil says for starters, but also your terminology is back to front.

'Triggers' is a general term, but technically there is a transmitter (on camera) and receiver/s (on flash/es). Or sometimes there are transceivers that can work in either mode. Probably just a slip of the tongue, but from what you've said they appear to be the wrong way around.

What triggers are they exactly, which model?

Last edited:
Does the flash go off when you press test button? I've had that flash head and it didn't work! Has youres got the trigger built in with the receiver in the top of the light?

I looked for a place to put the battery on the receiver. Couldn't find where you slide the back off. Will look again. Thank you guys :)

Again assuming it's the model I'm thinking of there should be a screw underneath (often hidden by a sticker).

The flash heads work fine with the pop up flash on my camera. They also work when the trigger is attached. The triggers don't talk to the receiver on the hotshoe - I think this is my problem - the battery is dead. There's no light coming on the receiver.

I've looked at replacing the battery on the receiver and I don't think it's user serviceable. It comes with a battery installed - not a CR2 - smaller than AA style. The transmitters require AAs. I saw the kit on eBay for about £12. See photo.

I think this is the problem. I can either pull it apart to try of just replace it. My feeling is I need a new one. Any recommendations of what would work? I like Yongnuo - cheap and effective. Would any of their products work? Thx folks

I've looked at replacing the battery on the receiver and I don't think it's user serviceable. It comes with a battery installed - not a CR2 - smaller than AA style. The transmitters require AAs. I saw the kit on eBay for about £12. See photo.

Probably A23 then, before buying a new one make sure the current one is seated properly as I've had them not work despite the battery being fine because they're so poorly made.

Hi Simon

It was the battery after all. My hubby has a multimeter so tested the battery and it's dead. Ordered one online. Yes, they are poorly made hence me wondering about replacing them with yongnuo as their products seem to be far superior.

You guys have saved me a few quid!! £1.35 for replacement batteries. Thank you all :)

Last edited:
It was the battery after all. My hubby has a multimeter so tested the battery and it's dead. Ordered one online. Yes, they are poorly made hence me wondering about replacing them with yongnuo as their products seem to be far superior.

The Yongnuo's are certainly better made and they offer more flexibility but for just triggering the heads one radio trigger is much like another (although I do prefer units that use AA or AAA so you don't need to hunt for odd battery sizes).

You guys have saved me a few quid!! £1.35 for replacement batteries. Thank you all :)

You're welcome, good luck with the Interfit kit. I know they're not as nice as other brands but they really are amazingly good value considering you get everything for less than the cost of 1 decent flash and they're as good a learning tool as any other brand.

It's also worth noting if you have the EX150A, mark II or mark III you're using an Elinchrom fitting.

Back