Interfit EX300

jsy

Name
Alan
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi, (My first post - please be gentle..:))

I have just purchased my very first bit of lighting, the interfit ex300 kit and wondered if anybody out there has the same who could give some pointers (I am a newbie to lighting outside of my 580ex world). I intend to setup a small studio in the corner of my large living room, primarily to take pics of my new baby, friends and other friends babies etc..

Please, please don't tell me I shouldn't have bought it.. I know many of you steer money grasping buyers in other directions, but I... well.. I am giving them a go.

Your question is really about studio lighting as I see it, not about a specific brand...

If you want general hints and tips take a look at the tutorials on the Lencarta website

There are also a few on my own website on the free downloads page.
And I sell complete tutorials + videos from that site too.

If you have specific questions, just ask.

we still use two ex150,s as additional background lighting in our studio.
bought initialy as light, cheap portable kit for home portraits, and theyre still going strong.five years later.
your 300.s should ber perfectly capable of home portrait work.
think about small softboxes, if you have the umbrella reflector kit.
get yourself a flash light metre , or experiment.
one disadvantage is that you have to use interfit ex specific fittings (softbox/snoot etc, as theyre not "s" fittings like most other peoples kit.
incidentaly we use interfit stellar 600's and 1000s in our sudio too.

Thank you all for the prompt replies, I shall certainly follow up on these links.
I need all the help I can get :)

Next on my list are reflectors & backgrounds - how big? which make? & as inaneredstripe mentioned, a flash meter, I have seen so much choice, which is good yet inexpensive? (I know I sound cheap, but as a new father my wallet is a little strained lol)

There are many reasons for buying this kit - firstly £££'s! twin 300w was the minimum I was after and my budget was >£400, + I had to find a company that deliver to Jersey, Channel Islands cheaply and do not quible about the VAT. One major + for the ex300 that others I looked at do not have is the ease of power switching - the EX300 have a volume type knob for increasing/decreasing the power - which for some reason I think is cool ;)

I will post some pics as soon as I get some results!

Enjoy your new kit
As for a lightmeter try and get a Sekonic L308 s,Good meter for the money and will do all you need.

****The Place I have ordered the EX300 from have contaced me to say that there is a problem with stock on this model, so I have now changed my order to the Stellar X twin 300w, which is the same price! + this model has the same Volume type power knob which puts a smile on my face :)

oooh. knob jokes.
stellar run the "s type" bayonet fittings. so you can use other people s soft boxes and such.
if your using 300's 600mm or 75o mm square, or even 100cm if you have the space. softboxes should be ok.
look at "viewfinder photography ". based in leicester.
http://www.viewfinderphotography.co.uk/product.php?cid=55
or of course, good old ebay.
interfits own stuff is pretty reasonable on quality and price too.
http://www.morrisphoto.co.uk/ProductDetails~productID~7360~categoryid~173.html
http://www.morrisphoto.co.uk/ProductDetails~productID~6466~categoryid~173.html

Thanks, I will check them out!

It comes with a 60cm softbox and one umbrella. I will be getting another softbox, should I get the same size? Would I benefit by going bigger?

Hmmn. Perhaps I should change that to 'Volume type dial'

If possible can you please let me/us know where you ordered your kit from (specs and price). Many thanks.

do these lights auto dump? I was looking at a tes of Elite Pro's and there was no mention of it..

do these lights auto dump? I was looking at a tes of Elite Pro's and there was no mention of it..

Yes, all Lencarta lights auto dump - and they do it properly, i.e. turning down the power automatically dumps the unwanted power without flashing the light

Back