Interior photography for property listing

Edit My Images
Yes
My property will be marketed next week so I have decided to take the pictures myself after not being too impressed with the general standard of photography by estate agents. My property was actually marketed previously but I left them to it, I feel I can improve considerably on their efforts.

My equipment suited to this is as follows:

Canon 60D
Canon 10-22mm (in the post, I have no experience using this)
Canon 430EX II
Tripod
Remote shutter

My house is relatively small so I want to really open it up in the pictures hence the wide 10-22mm lens. I also plan to use the flash in conjunction with natural light. I plan to take the pictures from the angles to incorporate all of the features of interest and am aiming for 2 pictures of each room plus the front and back gardens.

Does anyone have any tips or links to any tutorials for this type of photography as it's not something I have tackled before. I'm like to have limited time (mrs and baby!) so I'd like to plan this as much as possible before hand.

How should the flash be positioned? On or off the camera? I'd like to avoid harsh shadows so would I be best firing this at an angle behind me?

Note: I am not looking to match the pros, I just want my house shown in the best possible way to generate interest. Good quality photos are key for this but they don't necessarily need to be a work of art. They will be compressed quite heavily for rightmove.

Last edited:
Have you thought abour bracketing your shots, just usung natural light and then blending them in post processing?

There might be an issue if you shoot at 10mm that you're making the rooms look much bigger than they are... I'm fairly certain your photo has to be an accurate representation of the property, which the wide-angle might not produce.

I've thought it could be a market for this once but never investigated it. Arranging with estate agents to offer a premium service where i would go and take better pictures. This tiype of service was on offer in Norway when my friend sold his house last year. The photo's were great!

I did my own samples for an agent last week as we are looking to move shortly. They are happy to use them but wont budge on the commission rate even though my images will be key to the marketing effort & better. I have told them they can do their own even if they will be just point and shoot :puke: It is not a fixed contract so will have to see what the results are like.

Presentation is key to the marketing details but it feels like you are :bang: trying to put the point across, still they are the experts!

Here are a couple of before (estate agents) and after (mine):

Kitchen - before

DSC05878_zpsbfb6397e.jpg

Kitchen - after

Kitchen1_zps61127a74.jpg

Bedroom - before

DSC05891_zpsbd7ddbc1.jpg

Bedroom - after

Bedroom1_zpse424a125.jpg

I'm fairly pleased with them but I already see room for improvement. I'll need to retake these in a few weeks anyway to remove the snow.

Last edited:
They are good photos, but be mindful the rooms do look bigger in your photos compared to the estate agents.

They are good photos, but be mindful the rooms do look bigger in your photos compared to the estate agents.
I don't think that is a problem - looking at Rightmove loads of estate agents are using UWA shots. In fact quite a few advertise that they do this to potential sellers.

There might be an issue if you shoot at 10mm that you're making the rooms look much bigger than they are... I'm fairly certain your photo has to be an accurate representation of the property, which the wide-angle might not produce.

I don't think that is a problem - looking at Rightmove loads of estate agents are using UWA shots. In fact quite a few advertise that they do this to potential sellers.

There is something called misrepresentation which you need to be careful about.

If you are supplying the photographs to the Estate Agent then it's unlikely that any legal insurance that they have will cover you.

Your pictures are definitely better than the previous ones, but you still need to be careful about the verticals.

I'm not sure that it really matters about the quality of the interior shots.
Both my son and daughter have sold their houses recently and I took a lot
of trouble over photographing my daughter's house; everything was tidy and nicely 'dressed' and all the verticals were vertical, etc etc.
but when people came to view the house they were disappointed with the reality!

The estate agent insisted on photographing my son's (messy) house himself and produced
typical mediocre images ...... however, all the people who came to view were pleasantly
surprised with the reality.

I agree with above but I think you need to lighten them a touch, especially in the corners. I've tried the kitchen, possibly a bit too much but you get the idea, I also feel the bedroom could be a bit lighter too.

I'll remove if you no likey :)

Kitchen1_zps61127a74.jpg

kitchenc.jpg

Back