International space station - how to photograph

Name
Ian
Edit My Images
Yes
Hello, I always struggle to get a good shot of the ISS, if I have a 14mm lens and take a pic of the pass at 20:00 tonight can anyone reccomend what exposure time, f number and iso to use? Wouldn't normally ask this, but my trial and error approach hasn't worked so far.

What are you trying to achieve? A light trail across the sky? Do you want star trails in the image too? Do you want any foreground? What have you tried previously and in what way(s) have they failed?

Last edited:
14mm strikes me as a bit wide - you will get a large part of the sky and the ISS will be very small in the image.

14mm strikes me as a bit wide - you will get a large part of the sky and the ISS will be very small in the image.
Depends what you want to achieve. I usually use 1200mm for the ISS, but 14mm would be fine if you want to get a light trail and some star trails.

I took "a good shot of the ISS" too mean that the ISS was the main subject, rather than the sky.

I took "a good shot of the ISS" too mean that the ISS was the main subject, rather than the sky.
Well, there's no lens that's really suitable for that - just differing degrees of inadequacy, ranging from "highly inadequate" to "totally, utterly inadequate". The apparent size of the ISS as it passes overhead is roughly equivalent to the apparent size of a person at a range of 5 miles.

Sorry, I will be taking a wide angle shot of a church with the ISS as a light trail passing over it. I could use my 24mm I suppose but the aperture isn't as good. I'm on full frame, D750.

SS - as long as the ISS's pass is due to last for! 14mm f/2.8 will do the job. Hope to see the results.

I will be taking a wide angle shot of a church with the ISS as a light trail passing over it.
That's interesting. I tried to do something very similar a while back. Unfortunately I think the calibration of the compass in my phone must have been a bit off. I had the tripod in the wrong position and the ISS rose behind that big tree with l only a small portion of its path being visible. Oh well, try again another day..... Hope you managed something better! FB_IMG_1553815019006.jpeg

Back