International Space Station in Full view today

Now that's something I have to have a go at! I've never been interested in ISS passes but I've never considered it passing in front of the Sun. Pity there weren't more visible sun spots but you've caught the only one there was - just one tiny one upper right.

what filter did you use for the sun?

You can easily make a solar filter with some Baader film and cardboard (I use cereal packets in the best Blue Peter tradition, not that I've ever seen Blue Peter.......) I've made 3 for the two lenses I use for solar photography - one for each lens that slides over the barrel and one that fits in a filter holder for the 300mm lens for when I'm travelling and can't take the 600mm and bulkier filters.

Having just looked on Heavens Above it didn't transit the Sun from here...... Though I do have 3 chances in the next week and all bar one day is forecast to be overcast :(
Edit - having gone for the zoomed in view make that one chance, when it's forecast to be cloudy....

Last edited:
Having just looked on Heavens Above it didn't transit the Sun from here...... Though I do have 3 chances in the next week and all bar one day is forecast to be overcast :(
Edit - having gone for the zoomed in view make that one chance, when it's forecast to be cloudy....

http://transit-finder.com/

Is the programme I use to see the transits. Both sun and moon.......

I used the Oly Em1 mk2, with a Pany 100-400,, at full blast, 1/2000 @ F8 using the Sequential L shutter arrangement. Also hand held, with my able wife shouting out the timing.:)

Only need to see the sun.........................

Thanks all for comments,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Cracking, never thought of the station transiting the sun (y)

Wow, great stuff. I feel I have to try this myself!

Back