International Space Station this morning

Name
Stewart
Edit My Images
Yes
Looks like I might have got something half-decent, for once. Maybe it's because the air is more still in the morning than the evening? Anyway, I'll try putting some of these through some stacking software to see whether I can pull out any details...

17457-1483605194-a524b4e5f314ad1a919a7eb4710dae87.jpg

Wait, I didn't realise you could do this. How?

Actually it's not trivial.

The ISS orbit is inclined at 51.6° to the equator, so if you draw the orbit on a regular rectangular map of the world it looks like a sine wave with the peaks at 51.6°N and 51.6°S. Where I live in Maidenhead is at 51.5°N latitude, so at certain points in its orbit the ISS passes directly overhead; it rises in the west, passes overhead, and sets in the east. There are other lower-altitude passes, of course, when the peak of the sine wave is at a different longitude.

You can get predictions for ISS passes from sites like Heavens Above. In the UK you typically get a couple of weeks when you get one or two visible passes pre-dawn every morning, then a few weeks when it isn't visible, then a couple of weeks when you get one or two visible passes immediately post-sunset every evening.

The ISS is about 100m across and it's 400km away even when it's overhead. However photographing it when it's directly overhead is very awkward, so my photos are taken when it has an altitude of perhaps 45-60° above the horizon and that means it's probably 500-600km away. So it's obvious that you need the biggest lens you can lay your hands on, and even then its just a tiny speck in the viewfinder. For example, today I used a 600mm lens with a 2x extender, on a 24-megapixel crop-sensor Canon 80D, and even so the image of the ISS posted here was only 75 pixels across. In round numbers that's very roughly 1 pixel per metre measured on the ISS. A big lens means a good tripod and a smooth gimbal head, of course.

Focusing is critical. There's no chance of using autofocus so you have to focus manually, and the ISS is so small and moving so fast (we'll talk about that in a minute) that you can't realistically focus on it. So you need to pre-focus manually. This morning I had Jupiter in the southern sky, which made an excellent bright target, so I focused on that using 10x live view before the ISS made its appearance. OK, Jupiter is 800,000,000km away and the IS is only 400km, but that's within the depth of field.

Exposure is interesting. It's easy to overlook the fact that the ISS is in bright sunlight, so the Sunny-16 rule applies, sort-of. If you use, say, ISO 400, the rule says 1/400th at f/16. In practice I find the ISS is a couple of stops darker than that (maybe because of the angle of the sun?) so it needs a couple more stops of exposure: with ISO 400 it would be 1/400th at f/8. And that's convenient because f/8 is the widest aperture I can achieve with that lens and extender.

But in practice I don't use ISO 400 and 1/400th at f/8; I use something like ISO 2000 and 1/2000th at f/8. The reason is that the ISS is moving very fast, and it's very difficult to track it accurately, so I want to minimise the risk of blurring it through having too slow a shutter speed. The orbital velocity is around 8,000 m/s, and we saw earlier that with my setup I have roughly 1 pixel per metre of ISS. so in my exposure time of 1/2000th the ISS travels about 4m, which is about 4 pixels, and I'm panning to try to make it sharp at the pixel level. And in fact it's absolutely necessary to pan, because with an image that's 4000 pixels from top to bottom, the ISS will traverse the view in roughly half a second if I don't pan!

So that's where it starts to get fun. You've got a very big lens with a very small field of view (roughly the size of the moon) and you're trying to locate a tiny object that's moving very fast. It takes a bit of practice to even find the wretched thing, and then when you do you have to start panning as smoothly as possible, while crouching down more and more as the target rises higher into the sky. I shoot as many frames as I can (6 fps on the 80D, I think) because I can guarantee some of them are going to be ruined by inaccurate panning and/or atmospheric instability. If your hand so much as twitches or if the panning isn't smooth, you'll lose the target, and you have to reacquire it.

Great fun! But definitely worth a go if you have access to suitable gear.

Last edited:
Actually it's not trivial.

The ISS orbit is inclined at 51.6° to the equator, so if you draw the orbit on a regular rectangular map of the world it looks like a sine wave with the peaks at 51.6°N and 51.6°S. Where I live in Maidenhead is at 51.5°N latitude, so at certain points in its orbit the ISS passes directly overhead; it rises in the west, passes overhead, and sets in the east. There are other lower-altitude passes, of course, when the peak of the sine wave is at a different longitude.

You can get predictions for ISS passes from sites like Heavens Above. In the UK you typically get a couple of weeks when you get one or two visible passes pre-dawn every morning, then a few weeks when it isn't visible, then a couple of weeks when you get one or two visible passes immediately post-sunset every evening.

The ISS is about 100m across and it's 400km away even when it's overhead. However photographing it when it's directly overhead is very awkward, so my photos are taken when it has an altitude of perhaps 45-60° above the horizon and that means it's probably 500-600km away. So it's obvious that you need the biggest lens you can lay your hands on, and even then its just a tiny speck in the viewfinder. For example, today I used a 600mm lens with a 2x extender, on a 24-megapixel crop-sensor Canon 80D, and even so the image of the ISS posted here was only 75 pixels across. In round numbers that's very roughly 1 pixel per metre measured on the ISS. A big lens means a good tripod and a smooth gimbal head, of course.

Focusing is critical. There's no chance of using autofocus so you have to focus manually, and the ISS is so small and moving so fast (we'll talk about that in a minute) that you can't realistically focus on it. So you need to pre-focus manually. This morning I had Jupiter in the southern sky, which made an excellent bright target, so I focused on that using 10x live view before the ISS made its appearance. OK, Jupiter is 800,000,000km away and the IS is only 400km, but that's within the depth of field.

Exposure is interesting. It's easy to overlook the fact that the ISS is in bright sunlight, so the Sunny-16 rule applies, sort-of. If you use, say, ISO 400, the rule says 1/400th at f/16. In practice I find the ISS is a couple of stops darker than that (maybe because of the angle of the sun?) so it needs a couple more stops of exposure: with ISO 400 it would be 1/400th at f/8. And that's convenient because f/8 is the widest aperture I can achieve with that lens and extender.

But in practice I don't use ISO 400 and 1/400th at f/8; I use something like ISO 2000 and 1/2000th at f/8. The reason is that the ISS is moving very fast, and it's very difficult to track it accurately, so I want to minimise the risk of blurring it through having too slow a shutter speed. The orbital velocity is around 8,000 m/s, and we saw earlier that with my setup I have roughly 1 pixel per metre of ISS. so in my exposure time of 1/2000th the ISS travels about 4m, which is about 4 pixels, and I'm panning to try to make it sharp at the pixel level. And in fact it's absolutely necessary to pan, because with an image that's 4000 pixels from top to bottom, the ISS will traverse the view in roughly half a second if I don't pan!

So that's where it starts to get fun. You've got a very big lens with a very small field of view (roughly the size of the moon) and you're trying to locate a tiny object that's moving very fast. It takes a bit of practice to even find the wretched thing, and then when you do you have to start panning as smoothly as possible, while crouching down more and more as the target rises higher into the sky. I shoot as many frames as I can (6 fps on the 80D, I think) because I can guarantee some of them are going to be ruined by inaccurate panning and/or atmospheric instability. If your hand so much as twitches or if the panning isn't smooth, you'll lose the target, and you have to reacquire it.

Great fun! But definitely worth a go if you have access to suitable gear.

Thanks for the detailed info. Very impressive! I always figured it was too small and moving too quickly, but of course I should realise that just means a change in gear/settings/preparation! Gotta admire your knowledge of where/when/speed of the ISS.

And for the others who said google it - yea I get that (lmgtfy is a fav site of mine ;-)), but I'll be honest, the idea had never occurred to me that it was possible. I wanted to hear how Stewart had done it.

Blimey, and I thought my workflow for a landscape shoot was complicated!!!!
I think the ISS is the most technically demanding photography I've ever done, by a mile.

Even pre-focusing on Jupiter is difficult; I have a focal length of 1200mm, or 1920mm equivalent when you allow for the crop factor, so the field of view is not much bigger than the moon. Although Jupiter is bright as far as night-sky objects go, it's a tiny dim speck on a Live View screen, and i find it almost impossible to locate it in the sky using Live View. So what I do is locate it using the optical viewfinder (which still isn't easy); switch to Live View mode, focus manually, switch to 5x view, tweak focus, switch to 10x view, tweak focus. Every time you touch the camera you risk disturbing it so that you lose the target and have to reacquire it optically, and in any case it drifts across the viewfinder because of the rotation of the earth. At 10x view it drifts all the way across the viewfinder in only about 15 seconds!

Today it all seemed to work very well. I think I had the friction setting on the gimbal head just right, so I could move it smoothly when I wanted to but it would stay put when required. That certainly isn't always the case!

Mightily impressed Stewart.

I have an 8" Dobsonian telescope and I've not got the damn thing in the eyepiece yet.

Thanks for the detailed info.
You're welcome.

Although I have the advantage of having access to some fairly extreme equipment, it should be possible to obtain recognisable images with less. For example, this is a simulation of what you'd get with a 400mm lens, which many people woulod have:

upload_2017-1-5_12-12-32.png

Excellent, very professional (y)

Have you tried using a bahtinov mask and a bright star for focussing (useful when Jupiter isn't around)? It takes the 'is it or isn't it' out of the equation and might be a little bit easier.
Well done for getting the ISS. I've seen photos of it before and it really is incredible how much detail a humble dslr can show from something so far away, but so hard to do and do well, as you've explained extremely well. Not something I'll be trying. I don't have a gimball head, but more crucially I'm quite incapable of tracking a gull at 20 feet with a 600mm lens, so...................

I have an 8" Dobsonian telescope and I've not got the damn thing in the eyepiece yet.
What is the field of view of the eyepiece? An 8" telescope is probably about f/6 or thereabouts, hence 1200mm focal length which is exactly what I had today. But I don't know what the telescopic equivalent of a "crop factor" is, or how that affects the size of the field of view. My field of view is a little larger than the moon. I try to acquire the ISS as it's rising in the west; on a good overhead pass it rises almost vertically, so I sight along the top of the lens to get the left/right orientation and then swing it upwards to find the ISS. It's seems to be quite common that I find myself pointing the lens up at a steeper angle than I expected would be required!

Have you tried using a bahtinov mask and a bright star for focussing (useful when Jupiter isn't around)? It takes the 'is it or isn't it' out of the equation and might be a little bit easier.
I don't even know what one of those is, unless I Google it.

OK, now I know. Ingenious. I might try making one.

...but more crucially I'm quite incapable of tracking a gull at 20 feet with a 600mm lens, so........
I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be able to do that either. The advantage of the ISS is that it moves at a steady speed in a straight line, so if the friction on the tripod head is set correctly it's possible to follow it with a smooth movement.

That is brilliant Stuart - Who would have thought it was possible. I wouldn't even know where to start with it :)
I'd say the same about your work, though, Sara. 26 hours of exposure for one photo? That's positively unthinkable!

I've tried stacking some of the images using RegiStax. I don't really know what I'm doing with this software, and I essentially just click random controls to see whether they make things any better. Here are three attempts (200% magnified crops, same size as earlier, post #2) which were achieved by clicking different controls, or clicking the controls in a different order, or possibly both. Clearly these is some detail to be extracted from these images, so i think I need to invest a bit of time in learning how to use RegiStax properly. Unless anyone can recommend any alternative software for doing this that's easier to use?

17482-1484097580-a27c61682b420fdc972923b4569e0fa9.jpg

Last edited:
I'll just get my mum to speak to ESA at work and see if they can get me some close ups! She built the power unit that Tim Peak changed on his space walk !

I did that but she said she couldn't !!!!! She has worked on ISS stuff and the hubble telescope !

very impressive takes a bit of setting up that i would get a headache thinking of trying it

Back