International Warranties

Edit My Images
Yes
Nikon, as with most electrical manufacturers, don't give an international warranty on their DSLR bodies.

I am going to California next week and was thinking about picking up a D300. Do you think its worth the risk?

You can pay extra for an international warranty from http://www.mackcam.com/ in the U.S. many camera stores will sell you a mac guarantee.

Just looked in to this and the Mac guarantees are only extended warranties so they only follow on after the 1 year Nikon warrantee. Really stuck on what to do, do I take the risk?!!!

hhmmm, didn't know that.

Is the amount of money you will save near to the cost of your average repair/service in the uk or shippiing to the us for repair? if so then definitely go for it. :)

I am not in the UK at the moment, I am in Australia, and will be here for another 18 months yet I reckon before returning to the UK. I can save about $500AUD I think. Thats about 230 pounds.

Any thoughts on that?

Well if something did happen to go wrong in the warranty period, you could post it back for repair a few times for £230, I think I would take the risk.

I agree, have to say as long as the saving on equipment is over 10% on electrical (cameras and lenses included) I tend to go for buying from abroad on the basis of likeliood of something going wrong, cost of shipping back for repair etc. and is it really likely to go back more than once within a warranty period.....probably not!!!

Mind you now I have said this I will probably find my next international purchase goes badly wrong :(

I have just taken out a Mack warranty for my new 1Ds, amd it is currently under the US warranty.
My understanding is although the Canon warranty is only US, the Mack will cover me internationally, as otherwise a US 'tog would not have cover if he travelled, and that was the understanding of the sales guy in Denver.

I'll send him an email to check, to be honest I hadn't considered the first year not being covered.

George, I thought canons were international warranties?

are the cameras more expensive in australia? it all depends how much you save, if it is a couple of quid, then you will do better buying at home

Yea, Fletch, they are if bought in Europe..........but they are also a lot more expensive here compared to the US, and I'll save nearly 2 grand over the UK price, so it's worth coughing up for a warranty seperately.

Some people like kerso will give you a full international warranty even with US supplied items, like he does, but he is the one giving the waranty, not Canon.

George

Sorry, I meant to point out another thing, prices quoted in the US are usually exclusive of local sales tax which may be around 7% (but check, don't take my word and varies from stata to state). This is waived if an item is shipped out of state but then you will have a shipping cost, although it's not too prohibitive and if the item is expensive, then it's worth doing it. You will find that retailers are not at all keen on sending to hotels out of state, particularly if you are ordering by phone or on line, in fact most just plain won't for fear of fraud, and especially with a foreign credit card. So watch prices as marked, as sales tax is not put on the sticker price in the window or added when the item is advertised on line, but is added as a final item at check out, if you are buying over the counter.

George

Cheers George, didn't know about sales tax.

I think I have come to the concludion that I am going to wait another 18 months till I get back to the UK, my current camera, D80, is a good camera for the stuff I do here in Australia. I will be buying a SB-800 next week tho as they do have international warranties.

Back