internet shopping rights?

Name
Darren
Edit My Images
Yes
While I have a little wander around the web for some useful info I thought I'd ask in here as someone usually has some good wisdom to share.

If you buy something over the net, a lens in this case. Do you get a stretch of time where you can send it back because you don't like it?

I've just got hold of this Sigma 12-24 and frankly it's utter tosh. I'd have serious problems giving the quality of image it produces to a client. Even if they are being cheap and avoiding the cost of large format stuff.

It's looking like the far better bet (although more outlay.. sigh) would be to put the ever reliable and trusty 17-40 on something like a 5d or original 1Ds to get that wee bit of extra coverage.

Cheers folks.

Assuming you've bought it from a UK based site, you're covered under the Distance Selling Regulations.

Basically it means you have 7 days leeway to return the goods as unwanted for a full refund (minus any delivery/postage costs).

However, it has to be returned in the same condition you recieved it for you to return it under the DSR.

IF you can't do that, and indeed you say it is utter tosh, then you'd have a case under the Sale of Goods Act in which you could claim the lens isn't it for the purpose for which it is intended (IE taking quality images).

Anyway, I suppose your first port of call would be to contact the original supplier and explain your problem :)

Cheers guys,

I've just been doing some reading about the distance selling regulations but I can't find anything that says this can be applied to sales from outside the E.U.

I will get in touch with the supplier but it's always good to know where you stand first.

Perhaps I should just put it in the for sale section. ;) :LOL:

Outside the E.U. and I'd guess you are at the mercy of the supplier.

Might be worth telling them how you use a lot of major photo forums and how you read how good they are at aftersales etc. and that you would hate to have to share a bad experience with all those potential customers....

if they wont play ball, ask sigma to set it up properly, tehy can align the lenses better to get it to work right apparently

Back