Intrepid 8x10 Camera

Name
eeyore
Edit My Images
Yes
Well it arrived after a drawn out build and delivery process they have started to ship out the first units. I have mine...

My first thoughts are it looks well built and its light weight.

Thus ends the review as they decided last minute to not ship any accompanying items like lens holders... despite assurances they would

Anyone else got one?

Mine is supposed to be ready for collection mid January (I live fairly close to where they're built, and think popping round is safer than waiting in).

It looks like they might have an issue with using some of the types of 8x10 holders too.

Taken from there Facebook group:

Issues seem to be with Fidelty Deluxe or Lisco Regal film holders. It does however work with Fidelity Elite/Regal II holders

Last edited:
I think i should have ordered some earlier... bit late for weekend [emoji848][emoji849]

Together, we have a complete kit as I got film, lenses and board shortly after placing the order for the camera. I even have the negative sleeves for filing the negatives after processing - have you arranged for this yet?

I haven't got stuff to develop 8x10 at the moment. I think i will knock up something for the first few films

Or buy ortho film from Harman and tray develop under a red safelight...

How're you enjoying the intrepid so far?I keep finding myself dangerously drawn towards 8x10 and the only thing keeping me away is the price of a decent field camera which this obviously somewhat reduces. Just wondering how it holds up in real use?

No comment - I haven't got one yet. The cameras may have been completed, but I also ordered the reducing back and a couple of film holders; and the difficulty of completing the film holders still seems to be the sticking point - at least, the camera is still stuck in deepest Brighton.

A few of the videos I've seen on youtube leave me a bit unconvinced, with some cameras displaying bowing of a few of the smaller but critical components. The bungee cord solution also seems very flimsy on the 8x10 model which didn't seem to be a problem with the 4x5

I've still not used my setup yet :eek:
TBH not 100% sure I will get round to it

I’ve been having musings about 10x8 more and more recently. I have to say the intrepid does look awesome, especially for the price, and we’re I ever to go down that route, that’d be the purchase I’d make. Sadly I just don’t have the space though, and this is not likely to cease being an issue any time soon :/

I've still not used my setup yet :eek:
TBH not 100% sure I will get round to it

I draw the line beyond accepting donations, however :D

Last edited:
The only caveat I'd offer is to consider what focal lengths you prefer. The Intrepid has relatively short bellows for the format, and you could run into problems with longer lenses. My first 5x4 had short bellows and I did find it held me back with some close ups. That was why I was so taken with the Canham and Walker with triple extension (almost).

It is small for what it is, and even with the reducing back it's a lightweight 5x4.

In passing, Intrepid are now on Mk3 of the 5x4; I had an email today and it's on their website. I actually handled one at their premises last week, so I knew it was on the way. Alas, all Intrepid staff were out to lunch when I called, and I didn't know what to look at.

I expect that there will be an Intrepid 10x8 knocking around on the Scottish jaunt if you'd like to try it.

There'll definitely be my Chamonix, I've shot a total of 4 sheets of film with it. It's like 5x4 turned up to 11 :eek:

...Sadly I just don’t have the space though, and this is not likely to cease being an issue any time soon :/

It's not hugely more space consuming than anything else tbh, although it takes up far more space in the fridge/freezer, and you need a bigger bag to carry everything

Frustratingly, the freezer and bag space are the major limitations! I purposely downsized my main bag to accommodate only my 5x4, lenses and film etc, and the freezer is packed to the elements with film (mostly acros *sheds tear*).

@StephenM, I hear you. sadly the space issue takes precedent, but I would very much like to see / have a play with a 10x8 in Scotland!

I ended up going for one of these to carry mine in: https://www.fjallraven.co.uk/shop/kajka-75-F27095/

I would have needed to go for the biggest f-stop bag plus their gigantic ICU which costs a fortune. This is a really nice pack to carry and the whole front opens making it easier to get at the gear than a toploader.

Jeeeeez. Ok, I bought a Whistler 450 from lowepro to carry all my stuff in, which was a huge step down from the Pro Trekker 650. I really don't want anything significantly bigger now :/

In fairness I don't need all of the height, it's the width that's the issue. Something like the intrepid may be a bit narrower which opens up a lot more possibilities for bags. Now I've got it though I find myself taking the 5x4 gear in it too if I'm going any distance, it's just a really nice tool for carrying things and not feeling the weight too much

Also, that's not the price I paid for mine :exit:

Last edited:
Back