Intrepid new compact enlarger

I have been in dozens of darkrooms and never seen that. It is so obvious you would think it was universal.
However I never had a problem getting them straight either. I have used enlargers with a full set of tilts as well where such an aid would have been a help. I can't even recall seeing a commercial printing easel marked with a grid. Though those for graphic use usually had concentric squares for laying up artwork centrally.

I have been in dozens of darkrooms and never seen that. It is so obvious you would think it was universal.
However I never had a problem getting them straight either. I have used enlargers with a full set of tilts as well where such an aid would have been a help. I can't even recall seeing a commercial printing easel marked with a grid. Though those for graphic use usually had concentric squares for laying up artwork centrally.
Flipin’ ‘eck...... I should have patented it before posting :LOL:

I came up with the idea earlier today whilst looking at the grid lines on a groundglass which of course help with verticals during composure.

These light bulb moments don’t come to me often but when they do they are brighter than Brian’s flashgun:cool::ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
My comment about marking the grid lines on an easel.......in hindsight I’m wondering if that might pose a problem.
I ask myself , could the lines, with the light from the enlarger, find themselves superimposed into the print especially with some of the thinner RC papers:thinking:

Last edited:
Maybe put in on paper of the same thickness of the print paper. Then you can also check focus [emoji1745]

Maybe put in on paper of the same thickness of the print paper. Then you can also check focus [emoji1745]
Some people use a sheet of paper the same thickness to focus to. Others simply focus on the easel.
I’ve tried both and noticed no difference in the focus sharpness of the print.
F/11 on the lens seems to offer sufficient dof to cover any discrepancies be it on 10x8 or 12x16 prints.
I might add that I have no idea how much dof is offered at F/11

My comment about marking the grid lines on an easel.......in hindsight I’m wondering if that might pose a problem.
I ask myself , could the lines, with the light from the enlarger, find themselves superimposed into the print especially with some of the thinner RC papers:thinking:

I do not think it would be a problem as I have used vey badly marked masking frames with out the least sign of a problem.

If marks on the easel are transferred to the print, would that not imply that light was being reflected back from easel to paper and causing fogging?

Is this a possibility and the reason my Photon Beard 4 blade easel is all black?

Flipin’ ‘eck...... I should have patented it before posting :LOL:

I came up with the idea earlier today whilst looking at the grid lines on a groundglass which of course help with verticals during composure.

These light bulb moments don’t come to me often but when they do they are brighter than Brian’s flashgun:cool::ROFLMAO:
Some people use a sheet of paper the same thickness to focus to. Others simply focus on the easel.
I’ve tried both and noticed no difference in the focus sharpness of the print.
F/11 on the lens seems to offer sufficient dof to cover any discrepancies be it on 10x8 or 12x16 prints.
I might add that I have no idea how much dof is offered at F/11
A bit OT, but I think you can relax Asha, since I'm pretty sure the inventor of the Quadro Ten Eight easel didn't make a fortune. :thinking:

20210324_104613-tp.jpg

The USP of this was that you used it to make four 5x4 test prints on a single sheet of 10x8 paper by moving the paper around a fixed area.

20210324_104648-tp.jpg

Back