Introducing PHOTOFerret, a little search website for searching online retailers in one go.

Name
Darren Brooks
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all,

thought I would share my latest pet project with you guys.

I've created a (hopefully useful) website for allow you to search for photographic products across a number of the popular online stores in one go.

http://www.photoferret.co.uk

photoferret.jpg

The origins of the site, actually started on a sister site (www.rcferret.co.uk) which I developed for my other hobby RC Helicopters approx 2 years ago. That site allows people to search for parts and products across 40 in the UK and 20+ stores in the US in a single search. The site has proved very popular and we currently stand at 26,000 searches been made so far.

It seemed like a natural extension to take this website and use it for search online photographic retailers, hence Photo Ferret - particularly when trying to find the elusive Nikon 200-500mm :)

Hopefully this will be of use to you guys.

This site is a work in progress (and it always will be as new retailers come onboard, closedown etc). I'm supporting 9 stores, but have another 10 coming online in the next week or so.

If there are stores you would like to be included in searches, i'm more than happy to add them. Just let me know.

Thanks for reading

Darren

Last edited:
Hmmm apart from the obvious reinventing of the wheel possibility (camerapricebuster et al) if you are making money from the site you may want to contact the mods here before advertising.....just sayin' ....

Thats really good - now if you could make it trawl the second hand sections that would be outstanding :)

Hi all,

just to let you know you can now search 20 stores for photo gear.

I would like to add more, so if you know of stores with an online presence (that has a search function) I would appreciate a name or URL so I can add.

I particularly like adding the smaller stores, as I have found on the Radio Controlled side, the extra exposure from searches is always welcome - helping the little guy.

Stores currently supported are:-

Bristol Cameras
Calumet
Camera World
Castle Cameras
City Photographic
Clifton Cameras
Digital Depot
Ffordes Photographic
Harrison Cameras
Hdew Cameras
Jessops
Mathers of Lancashire
MifSuds
MPB
Panamoz
Park Cameras
SRS Microsystems
UK Digital Cameras
Wex Photographic
Wilkinson Cameras

Many thanks, and thanks for reading

Darren

That's great, thank you

When I'm home I'll look to some second hand shops as I think that would be valuable

Also thinking would it be worth adding a couple of flags, and later filters to the search such as "grey import" and (hopefully) "second hand" to help clarify the results as many do not want imports and when comparing the little guy often comes out looking poor price wise

That's great, thank you

When I'm home I'll look to some second hand shops as I think that would be valuable

Also thinking would it be worth adding a couple of flags, and later filters to the search such as "grey import" and (hopefully) "second hand" to help clarify the results as many do not want imports and when comparing the little guy often comes out looking poor price wise

Thanks John, appreciate the feedback

Okay... you've got most of the ones I was going to suggest now I can look properly.

So heres a couple - links just a search on Nikon, so most likely simply remove the keyword and replace with what you need.

Ask Direct (link)
Camera Jungle (link)
Dale Photographic (link)

Amazon UK (link)
Amazon IT (link)
etc... If you can figure it out theres http://www.curiua.com/ that compares all EU Amazon sites

Grey Importers
DigitalRev (link)
eGlobal (link)
Expedite Electronics (link) - This ones not a clean text link and appears to do some fuzzy logic to get their internal IDs and presumes lens if just searching, so possible but my need a fair bit of mapping.
OneStop Digital (link)

Anyway over to you :)

Last edited:
John - have you ever used Expedite Electronics ? Good price for the Samyang 12mm that I'm looking at...

I have, everything went well, so no idea on what their CS is like.

So, hows the project doing - did you manage to get any more in there?

BTW just used it :)

I haven't to be honest, been a bit busy with other things. I hope to give it some much needed TLC soon

Back