Intruder Alarms

Name
Anna
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all, I've not been in here got a while, I've had a baby girl, she's 12 weeks today :) really must join a camera club and get posting more photos soon!

Anyway o/t post, my neighbours have been burgled today and its got me worried. I've been looking at wireless DIY alarm kits on eBay, have any of you used one of these systems? I don't have a big budget but don't want. To waste money either. Tia, Anna.

daizylindsay said:
Hi all, I've not been in here for a while, I've had a baby girl, she's 12 weeks today :) really must join a camera club and get posting more photos soon!

Anyway o/t post, my neighbours have been burgled today and its got me worried. I've been looking at wireless DIY alarm kits on eBay, have any of you used one of these systems? I don't have a big budget but don't want to waste money either. Tia, Anna.

IMO the cheap wireless ones are pants. Best getting a wired in type or a big dog

A cheap starting point is to stick up a few "beware of the dog" signs. Most people wouldn't like to risk messing with a dog, far easier to move onto another house. I'll second what Scott says about alarms, best getting a wired one installed.

Cheap wireless alarms can cause problems, however professional wireless systems are excellent and apart from conforming to all regulations (EN50131/PD6662) also comply with the ACPO requirements for police response.

For a DIY wireless installation at a reasonable cost I would suggest looking HERE this is well-known kit and both the manufacturer and supplier have been around a long time.

Don't be fooled into thinking that signs will deter an intruder!

Some companies will offer a £99 alarm installation but beware of extended maintenance and monitoring agreements that mean it costs you a lot of money in the end (though it may suit you to do that). Also many towns/cities have companies that advertise in the paper etc that they will fit systems from around £299 but if you do get a firm, make sure that they are inspected by either the SSAIB or NSI.
If you would like details of any qualified and approved installers in your area just shoot me a PM :)

Thanks for all your replies, I'm not really keen in having a dog as I've got a toddler and baby so not got time or energy!

I did think a cheap wireless kit may not be a good idea, Gramps, thanks for your reply - I have looked at ADT who do exactly as you say £99 installation but then maintenance cosy, which we don't really want.

daizylindsay said:
Thanks for all your replies, I'm not really keen in having a dog as I've got a toddler and baby so not got time or energy!

I did think a cheap wireless kit may not be a good idea, Gramps, thanks for your reply - I have looked at ADT who do exactly as you say £99 installation but then maintenance cosy, which we don't really want.

Obviously that says cosy - should say cost!

I bought a Yale wireless kit about 4 years ago and it has been great, one false alarm but there was a big spider near the detector :).
You can get different kits and add detectors, remote controls etc. Mine has a control panel which is plugged into the mains but has a battery backup and 3 "settings" OFF / HOME - where not all of the detectors are active, useful at night when the landing detector is not active. / AWAY - all detectors are active.
It is also possible to have a detector active even when the alarm is OFF, we have a landing window leading to a flat roof and this is always ON, it can only be deactivated by putting the system into maintenance mode.
It tells you when the detector batteries are low, they last about 4 weeks after the warning so only a problem if you go away for longer than that.
I have a separate remote control which comes with a mounting box which is in the garage so I can control the alarm from there, no need to go into the house when I want get the car out or put it away.
The box on the wall is probably the biggest deterrent to the casual burglar, they look for somewhere a bit easier.

Last edited:
I bought a Yale wireless kit about 4 years ago and it has been great, one false alarm but there was a big spider near the detector :).
You can get different kits and add detectors, remote controls etc. Mine has a control panel which is plugged into the mains but has a battery backup and 3 "settings" OFF / HOME - where not all of the detectors are active, useful at night when the landing detector is not active. / AWAY - all detectors are active.
It is also possible to have a detector active even when the alarm is OFF, we have a landing window leading to a flat roof and this is always ON, it can only be deactivated by putting the system into maintenance mode.
It tells you when the detector batteries are low, they last about 4 weeks after the warning so only a problem if you go away for longer than that.
I have a separate remote control which comes with a mounting box which is in the garage so I can control the alarm from there, no need to go into the house when I want get the car out or put it away.
The box on the wall is probably the biggest deterrent to the casual burglar, they look for somewhere a bit easier.

My Dad & Brother both have Yale wireless kits and over the last 4 years they've worked really well, no false alarms.

My Brother's is a slightly higher spec and can be programmed to dial preset telephone numbers if it's triggered.

If you are in the Midlands I would recommend Secure One.

http://www.secureone.co.uk/about-us

By using a registered firm you can often claim discount on your insurance.

Probably costs less to run than a dog, but it won't welcome you home.

Another thumbs up for YALE, bought a wireless kit, which you can add on to, from B & Q about 12 years ago, only changed the outside box once and of course the batterys. Found them good for advice as well if you ring them. (y)

It's worth thinking about your locks, especially if you have UPVC doors as many of the cheap "Euro" cylinders are extremely easy for burglars to "bump", good locks such as the ones below are well worth spending the cash on

http://www.abs-secure.co.uk/

Alarm wise then only buy from a reputable dealer, wireless ones are pretty good these days apparently

Simon

Best to have sensors on the doors and windows rather than beams. By the time the beams are triggered they're in the house!

Best to have sensors on the doors and windows rather than beams. By the time the beams are triggered they're in the house!

Ever been to a house burgled by removing/smashing the double-glazed units or kicking through the door panels or coming through the roof? :)

Keep a shotgun at the side of the bed make sure you tell everyone about it. With the new laws they may just think twice. :D

Yes it was a joke.

Ever been to a house burgled by removing/smashing the double-glazed units or kicking through the door panels or coming through the roof? :)

I would think if they removed or smashed the windows or kicked the door panels in the sensors would trigger?

If they are that determined that they come in through the roof an alarm isn't going to worry them.

I would think if they removed or smashed the windows or kicked the door panels in the sensors would trigger?

Nope, door/window contacts only trigger if the door/window opens from the frame.

If they are that determined that they come in through the roof an alarm isn't going to worry them.

The sound of the alarm or the arrival of police/keyholders if monitored is what would worry them. You would be surprised how many times I have encountered intruder entry through the roof.

God this is worrying me to death now! Husband going to buy a safe after work to bolt down somewhere hidden. I've just photographed all my valuables with serial numbers too.

I haven't got a shotgun but I've got a Freddie flint off signed cricket bat which would cause a headache!!

Thanks for all replies :)

"don't have nightmares, do sleep well"

(Nick Ross 'Crimewatch')

:D

Nope, door/window contacts only trigger if the door/window opens from the frame.

Methinks you're getting sensors mixed up with contacts?

Good wireless ones like the Yale are very good. They are virtually maintenance free just needing battery changes every year or two. The main unit and external bell box (if you have the solar charging type) need batteries changed every 5 years or so but they won't be more than about £20

Methinks you're getting sensors mixed up with contacts?

Me getting mixed up by thinking I knew what you meant :D

Contacts alone not sufficient, seemingly then you were thinking door/window contacts and sensors, in which case I can agree subject to a very neat installation (which isn't always easy unless in a new build!).

We have sensors, no contacts, if anything bigger than a blackbird hits the window/doors the alarm goes off.

We have sensors, no contacts, if anything bigger than a blackbird hits the window/doors the alarm goes off.

Needs properly siting/calibrating, they shouldn't do that.

so what size of bird do you think should be able to fly into a window without setting the alarm off?

Perhaps overoptimistic?

3695-map-assoc.jpg

Really they shouldn't respond to a bird hitting the glass, they should respond when the glass is broken or when the window/door is forced by a jemmy or a shoulder/kick.
If a bird is setting it off then it is too sensitive, possibly because too few are in use requiring over-sensitivity in order to respond across an area too large for it to cope, (at the other end of the scale they are desensitized so much that they will never work!).
In truth few installers will use shock sensors due to this very problem, glassbreak sensors can be used to detect breaking glass without the problems associated with shock sensors.
However shock sensors properly calibrated and positioned at the right point and correct intervals can be very effective.

I have a sneaky suspicion that Admirable was exaggerating a little for comedy effect and things have run off at a tangent from there :LOL:

You could be right, Mr Helpful me ... I do get caught out from time to time :D

no matter what alarm you decide to buy the best advice i can give is buy one with the option of dialing a pre determined phone number ( your mobile for instance ) on activation
very few people take notice of house alarms blaring away these days it's much better to get a neighbor, close living relative/friend to nip round and see if everything is ok and usually a lot quicker too

My girlfriend has a wireless Yale jobby too on her house and it gets another thumbs up from me...(y) You can set zones so the downstairs stays alarmed at night while everyone is upstairs. She's had it for a long time and is trouble free only needing battery changes.

I really should get round to installing one myself:thinking:...but then both of my neighbours have shotguns....:D

Well so far a couple of neighbours have said the local police and council are offering a subsidised system so they are getting back to me.

In the meantime my safe is en route (got a Yale one) and my shed alarm has just arrived.

Another :plus1: for Yale here. I have a number of PIR motion sensors (small and discreet) and door / window contacts. Also it is connected to the phone line and dials me and the Mrs if triggered. Never had a false alarm in 2 years since fitted.

Back