Scotland Inverpolly

Name
Nick
Edit My Images
No
I am considering a workshop in the Inverpolly region in January. I searched this site and didn't find many recent posts from that area (most were pre-2014). I've read through the material in Dougie Cunningham's book which was helpful. The photos I've seen are fantastic and the area looks very stimuating. But, I have been left with some questions.

I am a bit uncertain what the conditions will be like, especially in January. A lot of the best locations in Dougie's book seem to involve scaling to the top of mountains. Despite being 67, I'm OK with long walks and climbs (I recently did the Cleveland Way). But, I'm not keen on exposed ridges, skree and similar footing instabilities, rough camping and such like. Having to scale uneven and exposed paths in the pre-dawn or post-dusk time periods woud be uncomfortable. This has left me wondering how well I would do in this region. I may be over-worrying. But, it can be hard to tell from afar.

Any advice would be appreciated.

I think it is probably best to contact the place running the workshop to get a more detailed view of what is involved.

I'd be surprised if a workshop involved wild camping at all, especially in January. I'm guessing but I think it is unlikely if you'd be asked to negotiate difficult terrain in the dark, though easier paths are a possibility given the limited daylight in January.

Inverpolly is a spectacular area and as you have probably seen from maps there are some remote locations.

Dave

As Dave says, you'd be better talking to whoever is running the workshop. Most walking organisations will grade the difficulty of the terrain, so maybe they'll have that information for you? The Walkhighlands website is a good example of this, and I've linked their page on the Stac Pollaidh walk for info.

https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/ullapool/stacpollaidh.shtml

Thanks. Helpful advice from both of you. I will follow-up with the organizer. But, I find that sometimes organizers get so used to the terrain they take people to that they don't appreciate how it hits 'first-timers'. Hence, my interest in getting outside opinions too.

Tringa: I agree with both of your comments about Inverpolly. The beauty is what attracts me while aspects of the remoteness raises concerns. I suspect that, once I've done a visit to the area, I'll much less concerned.

Thanks. Helpful advice from both of you. I will follow-up with the organizer. But, I find that sometimes organizers get so used to the terrain they take people to that they don't appreciate how it hits 'first-timers'. Hence, my interest in getting outside opinions too.

Tringa: I agree with both of your comments about Inverpolly. The beauty is what attracts me while aspects of the remoteness raises concerns. I suspect that, once I've done a visit to the area, I'll much less concerned.

Good link above from Peter. WalkHighlands is an excellent site for getting the idea of what is in an area and I think they are realistic in their assessments of each walk.

Although there are paths in Inverpolly as you'll have seen on maps it is largely featureless, rough ground with plenty of water. Depending on the weather in January it could be very wet. I can understand you concern about the organisers being familiar with terrain but I feel sure if you mention it is your first trip into the area they will advise.

Hope you have a great time.

Dave

BTW If anyone wants to climb only one easy hill in Scotland then IMO that hill should be Stac Pollaidh. The views in all directions are superb.

Last edited:
Back