invisible black background

Edit My Images
Yes
Hi guys. Im attempting to do the invisible black background and i think i have the right theory about it. But its still not happening.

i am using the yongnuo yn 560 iii with a canon 600d. I dont have a wireless transmitter or pocket wizard (which is where i suspect the problem may lie)

i set the shutter speed to the max (1/200) and the aperture to around f16, to get a complete black background. However even with the flash pointing at the subject on full, its not lighting it up. I suspect because the canon 600d has a built in transmitter which fires its own flash and then the slave flash. which is too late?? am i correct?

if its a simple case of buying a wireless transmitter then im cool with that. but if anyone has managed to do this using the built in transmitter on the canon 600d and the yongnuo yn 560 iii then help would be much appreciated.

You may try to set your Yongnuo in S2 mode. This setting ignores camera pre-flashes...

Hi Jan,

Thanks for your reply. I have tried it in a number of configurations and i've found that its hit and miss. sometimes it gets the flash and sometimes it doesnt. think i may just need a wireless transmitter

You're aiming for tricky techniques and cutting corners, it'll never work.

Slow down a little, whilst lots of photography is like cooking, where you can throw together ingredients you love and use inspiration from elsewhere. Lighting is more like baking, you have to work to recipe's and measure things more precisely.

The YN560 will ignore the pre flash when set properly (S2?), but - having the on camera flash firing will definitely ruin any chance of a pitch black background, unless your subject is a long way from the BG. Basic baking principal; inverse square law.

Now if you use a card reflector covering most of the light coming from the flash and make sure you angle the sensor on the YN to see that small light, you might get close, but you're still using a cake tin to make a flan. Get a flan tin (wireless triggers) and you'll be able top produce the genuine article.

Slow down a little, whilst lots of photography is like cooking, where you can throw together ingredients you love and use inspiration from elsewhere. Lighting is more like baking, you have to work to recipe's and measure things more precisely.

Just a thought;

Does that make Garry Mary Berry? :coat:

Hi,

I too have been experimenting with the black background shot. Here's my second attempt

Sweet Peas by Alan Dow, on Flickr

I took this using f22 1/200, I used my 380ex flash attached to my Canon 400d with a sync cable. I positioned the flash over the vase of flowers.

Not sure if this helps in any way!

Regards
Alan

thanks phil, i thought that would be the case. i think ill invest in the wireless triggers. thanks for the help all :)

Back