iOS 5.0.1 - untethered jailbreak now released for most iOS devices.

Name
Dave
Edit My Images
Yes
Havent seen it mentioned here, so I thought I'd give it a thread in case anyone has been waiting for it.

Ive just used the Redsnow method, worked perfectly first time.

http://www.redmondpie.com/jailbreak...a4-devices-now-using-redsn0w-0.9.10b1-corona/

If your device is running stock iOS 5.0.1 then you can use download the latest Redsn0w 0.9.10b1 to for either Windows or Mac to give yourself an untethered jailbreak, instructions for which can be found below

Windows download 0.9.10b1

Step 1: Download the latest version of Redsn0w from the links given above.

Step 2: Start Redsn0w, select "Jailbreak" then check "Install Cydia". Follow the onscreen steps to place your device into DFU mode.

Step 3: Wait for Redsn0w to apply the full untethered jailbreak!

Once done, your iPhone, iPad or iPod touch will be rebooted into fully untethered jailbreak mode!

EDIT: there have been some issues with the original release. There have been 2 new versions released, Redsnow 0.9.10b3 was the newest last time I checked.

Last edited:
I've never really seen the point in Jailbreaking any of my devices - can someone explain what the benefits might be?

Thanks for this been waiting ages first it was a tethered jailbreak then a semi-tethered now the untethered. Been stuck on 4.3.3 for ages

siwhite said:
I've never really seen the point in Jailbreaking any of my devices - can someone explain what the benefits might be?

You often end up with an expensive door stop / paper weight! Just what everyone should have.

Free apps. Simple as that

Not really that simple, by jailbreaking you are taking control of ios, and it allows the phone to be set up with a lot more personalisation. I find SBSettings invaluable, it allows a quick menu to setting 2G/3G, wifi, Bluetooth, memory settings, and a lot more. Delivery Reports does exactly what it's called. I also prefer my own (free) ringtones and text tones. I prefer to be able order my icons as I see fit, and to have 5 icons rather than 4 in the bottom dock.

All of this is only really possible by jailbreaking.

That's just at a quick think, there is a lot more that I use it for.

You often end up with an expensive door stop / paper weight! Just what everyone should have.

Really? I have jailbroken several phones without issue and do not personally know anyone that has "bricked" an i device as a result of jailbreaking.

Have you had problems with your devices as a result of a jailbreak?

I updated my iPad from 4.3.1 to 5.0.1 then jailbroken after the jailbreak it just keeps resetting anyideas? Could just start again I guess

gatecrasher3 said:
Really? I have jailbroken several phones without issue and do not personally know anyone that has "bricked" an i device as a result of jailbreaking.

Have you had problems with your devices as a result of a jailbreak?

Nope, because I haven't jail broken mine. I do, however, personally know 4 people who have bricked iPhones, so I wouldn't personally take the chance. Everyone to their own though.

Nope, because I haven't jail broken mine. I do, however, personally know 4 people who have bricked iPhones, so I wouldn't personally take the chance. Everyone to their own though.

You do realise its virtually impossible to brick an iPhone? even with very little tech knowledge almost any mistake can be fixed. Apple built a fail safe in called DFU mode, short of hardware damage it's possible in about 95% of failures to at least go back to stock.

Last edited:
You do realise its virtually impossible to brick an iPhone? even with very little tech knowledge almost any mistake can be fixed. Apple built a fail safe in called DFU mode, short of hardware damage it's possible in about 95% of failures to at least go back to stock.

Exactly the point I was working towards.

Funnily enough it's normally people that haven't jailbroken their devices that have the most negative things to say!

Dave1 said:

So 5% will remain bricked. Not a risk I want to take. As I said I personally know 4 people with bricked iPhones, but for those willing to take the risks I can see the attraction. Just something I don't have a NEED for, I'm quite happy with mine as is. A lot of people will do it just because they can.

Not really that simple, by jailbreaking you are taking control of ios, and it allows the phone to be set up with a lot more personalisation. I find SBSettings invaluable, it allows a quick menu to setting 2G/3G, wifi, Bluetooth, memory settings, and a lot more. Delivery Reports does exactly what it's called. I also prefer my own (free) ringtones and text tones. I prefer to be able order my icons as I see fit, and to have 5 icons rather than 4 in the bottom dock.

All of this is only really possible by jailbreaking.

That's just at a quick think, there is a lot more that I use it for.

I've got quick links on the first page to network, wifi and bluetooth settings and also my own made up free ringtones and mine isn't jailbroken :shrug:

So 5% will remain bricked. .

I used 95% figuratively, I didn't want to say 100% as I do know of 1 person who killed his iPhone to the extent he had to get it replaced by Apple. He quite unintelligently decided to pull the USB cable out of the computer half way through the flash.

In truth, most people capable of using a computer and following written instructions have a 99.99% (is that precise enough for you ;) ) chance of success.

It's about as risky as doing a normal firmware upgrade of the iPhone via iTunes.

Why would I want to do this?

If you are unaware of the benefits of the Jailbreak you probably wouldn't want to.

Well I was hoping that someone might tell me!

Just JB my iP4 on 5.0.1, all went well apart from my Music app was blanked out then suddenly appeared...odd

Loving Zephyr what tethering apps are people using? Tried with TetherMe, but as iam with Tesco I dont have Personal Hotspot which I think it requires...

Just JB my iP4 on 5.0.1, all went well apart from my Music app was blanked out then suddenly appeared...odd

Loving Zephyr what tethering apps are people using? Tried with TetherMe, but as iam with Tesco I dont have Personal Hotspot which I think it requires...

Used MyWi for a long time, excellent program.

There is an iOS 5 version available in Cydia now.

^^^ cheers, the price of that puts me off tho! Any idea if you can get if for free? ;)

^^^ cheers, the price of that puts me off tho! Any idea if you can get if for free? ;)

There are other repos that supply it (not sure, perhaps the xsellize repo?), but I haven't had to use it for some time (T-Mobile allow the official IOS tethering one on my plan).

There are other repos that supply it (not sure, perhaps the xsellize repo?), but I haven't had to use it for some time (T-Mobile allow the official IOS tethering one on my plan).

Cheers, looks like the xsellize is only supporting the 4.0 release atm.

Are you running biteSMS?

Back