iOS5

Name
Peter Mitchell
Edit My Images
Yes
Just installed this on my iPad and I have to say that I love it.

The notifications bar is such a handy thing that they've stolen off Android, but it looks so good.
Split keyboard is nice,but will take a bit of getting used to I reckon. Still playing around with it, but on first impressions I am very very happy.

didnt think it was out till autumn, are you playing with a beta?

Yeah got my hands on a beta. It's pretty much available if you do a quick google. Seems pretty stable to me and I'm loving the new features so far. Would recommend it to any geeks who can't wait until autumn.

I thought about installing it on my iPhone but thought better of it in the end. If I had an iPad I would give it a go though.

Not sure if there would be much difference for iPhone users, but for iPad it adds a whole new dimension to the user experience for sure.

I've had the beta since release day as I'm a developer. installed it on both iPhone and iPad and the features are good across both.

the icloud is working already and it's great to download an app on 1 device and it goes to the other too. Wireless iTunes sync isn't avaliable in this build, but is expected in beta 2.

I've used the split keyboard a lot, great idea. The imessage works great and looking forward to texting people for free.

Tabbed browsing on safari is a great improvement and was a long time coming! They havent put the multitouch gestures on this version which feels weird having got used to them before. Overal this update has some good improvements although I don't know that I would describe it as adding "a whole new dimension" as you put it

Last edited:
The notifications bar is such a handy thing that they've stolen off Android, but it looks so good.

it's a jailbreak app they used then as a second thought employed the dev so he didn't sue them. Way more in-depth than Androids notifications.

As an Android user I can see why you'd say that though.

Have iOS5 for the iPad but we all got rid of our iPhones in this house. Had them all since the first iPhone iOS is just to boring these days. All Apple can do is use jailbreak apps to "add" new features. the UI is boring, they need to introduce widgets for iOS apps like in OSX and in Android.

it's a jailbreak app they used then as a second thought employed the dev so he didn't sue them. Way more in-depth than Androids notifications.

As an Android user I can see why you'd say that though.

Have iOS5 for the iPad but we all got rid of our iPhones in this house. Had them all since the first iPhone iOS is just to boring these days. All Apple can do is use jailbreak apps to "add" new features. the UI is boring, they need to introduce widgets for iOS apps like in OSX and in Android.

explain "the UI is boring"

its the same UI as the ipad pretty much, why do you have an iPad if you think that iOS is boring?

The iOS does the job, it does it far smoothly and far more refined than any other Android. If it works.. it worsk.

I've had android after 2 years of the iPhone and iPhone 3g so it's not just a fanboy comment.

I went straight to iPhone 4 when it come out after owning the HTC Desire for around 6 months, yeah android is decent if you want to mess about with stuff like your ringtones, rooting to enable more functionality etc etc the list goes on, but it just does it in such as a cranky clunky way.

iOS just works, that's all what matters to me.

iOS 5 looks like its going to be a winner too, and put the nail in the coffin for BBM users who only stay with blackberry for the messenger with iMessage.

Last edited:

its the same UI as the ipad pretty much, why do you have an iPad if you think that iOS is boring?

after coming up to 4 years its just the same boring UI, I would have thought it would have evolved more. I had the iPad the day it came out, I had the iPhone 4 after that. I came to the end of my contract so I change to another OS as iOS is just to boring even after a jailbreak it wasn't cutting the mustard.

I can not afford another tablet yet which is why I still have the iPad (apart from my 10month old daughter as dented and scratched it so will keep it now and not sell)

I love the hardware but they really need to refresh the whole UI.

(Partner quickly ditched her iPhone after seeing Android as well). :)

after coming up to 4 years its just the same boring UI, I would have thought it would have evolved more. I had the iPad the day it came out, I had the iPhone 4 after that. I came to the end of my contract so I change to another OS as iOS is just to boring even after a jailbreak it wasn't cutting the mustard.

I can not afford another tablet yet which is why I still have the iPad (apart from my 10month old daughter as dented and scratched it so will keep it now and not sell)

I love the hardware but they really need to refresh the whole UI.

(Partner quickly ditched her iPhone after seeing Android as well). :)

Its kind of weird to describe a UI that's almost identical to android as boring, what's so different about the android user interface? They both use little square icons for apps, both swipe to move through the pages, both have a software keyboard that pops up when you hit a text field, the web browser is based on the safari api etc.

The differences between the devices are more about cost, functionality, little specifics etc. The user interfaces between the devices are almost identical

I'm kind of lost on the whole UI being boring and needing a revamp thing too. iOS has proven itself very popular over the past 4 years or so that it's been around, so I don't see the need to change the way it looks at all. It's completely functional and doesn't pose problems to users of any age that I can see.

Take OSX for example. It has been on the go since 2002 and hasn't seen very much of a change over those years apart from a polishing every new release.

I think the interface is nice, just lacking a couple of features. The only thing I was never really a fan of is that all applications are on the erm desktop/workspace or whatever it's called - I deal with too many OS' to remember the terminology - however this has grown on me as It has changed the way I organise my apps.

To contrast with the above post, it may not seem like it needs improvement, but I often think that about things, and then they pull more tricks out the bag which I wnder how I did without!

jesus

I've had ios5 for so long I forgot it hadn't yet been released

A lot of thud and blunder over not a great deal in real world terms.

I shall load up the iOS5 seed when it's available and keep my hard-earned in my pocket until the next hardware upgrade.

That is pretty impressive! Depends what non contract price is. Might sell my 4 and buy direct from apple, keep my old contract til out in august then can go to bare bones contract or even payg

price according to the holding page at Apple is from £499 (so probably 499-599-699 for the 3 sizes).

But Android is so much more exciting. Everytime you install a new app you have the thrill of wondering if it's a bit of malware that will beam all your details to the bad guys. You don't get adrenaline rushes like that with iOS.

I know I'm probably being impatient, but, wasn't IOS 5 supposed to be released at midnight? I didn't expect it to hit the UK at midnight GMT - but midnight has passed across the US and still no update!

It's like being a kid at Christmas again.... :razz:

I'm I the only one sat pressing the 'check for update' button event two minutes? Getting rather annoyed with being up to date with 4.3.5?!

Well when Lion came out it was at about 14.00 UK time if memory serves.

Looking forward to this myself!

To be honest I'd forgotten about the Lion update - I noticed a post online and downloaded Lion. I wasn't sat waiting like a fool for Lion :LOL:

iOS5 will probably be later today.

The iCloud.com site is now live and iTunes 10.5 is already available.

Also going to need to update to Lion 10.7.2 - which isn't available yet

Don't America wake up at around our lunch time? which could explain why Lion was released early afternoon for us. could be the same with IOS5.

couldnt this have been put in the iOS5 thread? ;)

remember its the americans that release it so dont expect anything until at least midnight pacific time.

Midnight has passed across the US now - It's nearly 1am PST.

Sorry didn't notice an IOS thread - only checked on the first page though :(

iOS5 will probably be later today.

The iCloud.com site is now live and iTunes 10.5 is already available.

Also going to need to update to Lion 10.7.2 - which isn't available yet

Been keeping my eye open for 10.7.2 and I downloaded 10.5 last night.

Just impatiently waiting for the last bit :(

Back