iPad/iPad Mini problem

Name
'Gramps'
Edit My Images
No
SWMBO has an older iPad and an iPad Mini 1 ... IOS is 9.3 something, from memory.
Suddenly tonight she is having problems with both tablets when trying to browse her usual websites ... they start to load but the progress bar stops about 1/3rd the way across and the page stops loading with no links working.
She can get google.com but very little else ... her iPhone 6 is okay and my iPhone 7 and iPad 4 are working fine.
I have cleared the web data & cache for her and done a hard reset but makes no difference.
Any thoughts please?

Sometimes websites changes, new style, new look, new line of codes, and all that. The result is that older and earlier browsers may stop working or struggle with the website. Considering that older iPads can't be updated to the new current iOS, that would mean the Safari browser is not updated. One possible option is to try downloading a different browser (ie: Microsoft Edge, Google, Firefox, etc., etc) and see what happens.

As far as I know, you can't update Safari as it is part of the iOS, so anyone who update iOS therefore update Safari. But third parties browsers like Edge, etc., can be downloaded then later updated on their own.

Don't forget her iPhone 6 and your iPhone 7 can be updated beyond iOS 9.3, and as for your iPad 4, it may be that it got iOS 10, thus could be compatible with the website.

Sometimes websites changes, new style, new look, new line of codes, and all that. The result is that older and earlier browsers may stop working or struggle with the website. Considering that older iPads can't be updated to the new current iOS, that would mean the Safari browser is not updated. One possible option is to try downloading a different browser (ie: Microsoft Edge, Google, Firefox, etc., etc) and see what happens.

As far as I know, you can't update Safari as it is part of the iOS, so anyone who update iOS therefore update Safari. But third parties browsers like Edge, etc., can be downloaded then later updated on their own.

Don't forget her iPhone 6 and your iPhone 7 can be updated beyond iOS 9.3, and as for your iPad 4, it may be that it got iOS 10, thus could be compatible with the website.

Thanks ... I tried a new browser, 'Dolphin' (Edge, Chrome, Firefox etc are not compatible with the IOS) and that seems to allow access now, though I have to work out how to replace her desktop icons to allow one-press access to her websites.

Just updated a lot of my apps but the Chrome wasn't one of them, usually it tells you but only Rakuten was incompatible.

Anyway, working OK here.

Chrome works on IOS 9.3.5.
Interesting ... when I tried to download it from the App Store it said it wasn't compatible.

Not any more.

Earlier Chrome may work on iOS 9.3.5 but Chrome in the Apps Store is a latest version which is only compatible with iOS 11 or later.

@gramps Point of note: Some people may have downloaded and installed an app, then that's it. Left it there for a couple of years, never updating it at all, thus the app they use would be an earlier version that would still work on their older iOS software.

When someone suggest to you that "this app works on this iOS", it may be a case where that they have an earlier app on their older iOS, whereabouts if you were to try to download the same app they suggest, it would be a newer version and may not work on earlier iOS.

I have and/or have access too several iPad 2 tablets plus an iPhone 4s all running iOS 9.3.5 and Safari works fine on all of them on various websites and I’ve had no complaints from relatives using them.
Usually powering down or a hard reset solves all problems. You could try wiping it and setting up as a “new” iPad.
Maybe a problem at the websites she’s using.
( AFAIK Safari is the only browser allowed on iOS and the others are adapted versions of Safari — this may no longer be true.)

I have and/or have access too several iPad 2 tablets plus an iPhone 4s all running iOS 9.3.5 and Safari works fine on all of them on various websites and I’ve had no complaints from relatives using them.
Usually powering down or a hard reset solves all problems. You could try wiping it and setting up as a “new” iPad.
Maybe a problem at the websites she’s using.
( AFAIK Safari is the only browser allowed on iOS and the others are adapted versions of Safari — this may no longer be true.)

Thanks ... the Dolphin browser seems to just work so less hassle than wiping it. :)

Back