Ipad or ipad2

Matt

TPer Emeritus
Name
matt
Edit My Images
Yes
Would only be used for browsing etc, not sure the ipad2 offers anything more to me, what are the opinions of the masses?

Well, I'm very happy with my iPad for browsing etc.! I've yet to see anything on the iPad2 which would convince me I need to upgrade. Having iMovie on the iPad2 might be nice, but I've got it on my iMac and don't need it portable. The iPad prices are pretty good compared to what they were only a little while ago and also compared to competitor tablets.

The question is whether you'd find the iPad2 features useful?

Facetime, cameras, faster processor and a lighter/thinner device are good enough reasons for me to say ipad2. I have two ipads in the house and I am tempted with upgrading one at least. The discounted price of an ipad is also tempting the other way, but will you not be left thinking "What if???"

I guess it depends on what you really mean by "etc". Browsing is a no brainer - it does that very well. If you also want to do email, watch movies and a ton of other things the original iPad is still great for that too. If you want to slide it through a gap of only 8.9mm, you're out of luck - you will need the iPad2 for that :D

Seriously, the iPad2 has a faster chip and more memory which won't help browsing a whole lot. It also has a couple of cameras.

Hmm ok thanks guys. Thinking about what I use iphone4 to do, I guess iPad would do, no picture taking capability required, I already don't do that with my camera..

If I didn't already own one, then I think I'd be hard pressed to deliberately choose an older model of anything, even if it was cheaper.

That said, the original iPad is a great bit of kit, and the price they're being knocked out at now makes it simply brilliant value.

I'll not be upgrading what I've got, there's not enough of a difference in useable functionality to warrant the proportionately high uplift in cost.

depends on what you want to pay!
A refurbished ipad 1 (16GB wifi) with a full 1 year warranty from apple is only £289 where as the ipad 2 will be around the £430 mark.

I have the ipad 1 and there's not enough killer features in the new ipad to make me want to upgrade!

The 16Gb WiFi only iPad 2 is going to be £399 :)

depends on what you want to pay!
A refurbished ipad 1 (16GB wifi) with a full 1 year warranty from apple is only £289 where as the ipad 2 will be around the £430 mark.

I have the ipad 1 and there's not enough killer features in the new ipad to make me want to upgrade!

hmm 399 isnt bad, can get the 16gb wifi original for 329 less £16 but stocks are hard to come by, i dont really need a front facing camera, so thats pointless for me, and extra speed, well ive not heard of anyone having issues with the old one. it will all come down to if ipad is in stock anywhere

64Gig 3G 'original' can be had new at £450.

Until the apps are available to make full use of the additional capability, it's going to be harder to justify the addional cost of the v2. That said, iMovie is iPad2 only. Don't know if that bothers you at all.

Someone mentioned today that Comet were selling the original iPad. Don't forget to go via a cashback site!

I'm sticking with my iPad 1 until the 3 comes out, which will be the big re-design. If you don't have one i'd say iPad 2, but the 1's are currently cheaper and unless you want to use facetime, i don't see the need to spend the money yet personally.

The iPad 2 is starting at £399 and the iPad 1 is £329.

For the sake of £70, I would get the best there is.

It'll be faster and will have a better quality screen. And you never know, you might want to use the video call thing at some point - know anyone who has any iPhone 4 or Skype?

iPad 2 hands down, it's twice as fast isn't it?

Why does it 'win' hands down? Why does it having faster processing make it a better device?

If you could expand on these a little it might more useful and also get you that much closer to 100 posts ;)

Why does it 'win' hands down? Why does it having faster processing make it a better device?

If you could expand on these a little it might more useful and also get you that much closer to 100 posts ;)
Sure, let me expand a little on my point... :) The CPU is said to be twice as fast in the iPad 2, and iPad 2 also has twice the RAM also which makes even something like like browsing in Safari feel faster and more responsive... Especially if you have multiple tabs open., you would notice a difference.

Here's a video showing an iPad 1 vs iPad 2 running Safari with multiple tabs.

[YOUTUBE]ojRzPyuJFcU&[/YOUTUBE]

Even if the iPad 1 could be had for £150 less than the iPad 2 new, I'd probably still go for the iPad 2 mainly because of the extra fast CPU, graphics and memory... I'm not really so concerned about having the cameras as I think video calls are a bit of a novelty myself, but some apps are starting to use the camera such as Word Lens so it's a handy thing to have. :)

EDIT: I'm not spamming my way to 100 posts, today has been a bit of a slow day at work and I've found that this is one of the few sites that isn't filtered... ;)

Last edited:
Now that is useful. If I hadn't only bought my iPad in January and was looking to get one then I'd more than likely get the iPad2. The above video highlights one of the ways in which the additional hardware comes in useful for an everyday thing such as browsing.

That said, today, I received a cable which allows me to connect my iPad to the TV and using Air Video I can stream video from my iMac (in another room) onto the TV. Suddenly, all of my video content can be watched on the TV. Brilliant!

Going to be watching this with interest. Was thinking of buy myself one for my birthday when they are released.

how much difference has the latest IOS update made to the speed of ipad? im never going to have that many windows open either!

how much difference has the latest IOS update made to the speed of ipad? im never going to have that many windows open either!

I know some people have said that iOS 4.3 makes Safari etc feel snappier, but I can't say I've noticed. :shrug:

good news is you can use the iphone 4 as a wifi hotspot...no need to buy a 3g version of the ipad anymore :)

I always like to go for the most up to date so if I was buying I would probably go for ipad 2 but having had the ipad since May, I am in no rush to change. Cameras of no use to me, faster would be nice but not essential and size is ok. Waiting for ipad 3 with better screen!!

marc2004 said:
good news is you can use the iphone 4 as a wifi hotspot...no need to buy a 3g version of the ipad anymore :)

Only if you pay a hefty sum for tethering though....

Sent from my iPhone 4 using TP Forums

matty said:

I myself have not noticed much difference in speed, but the battery drains much quicker!

I haven't seen resale value mentioned as a possible factor. Maybe a couple of years down the line I would have thought the IP2 would have "depreciated" less than the IP1, maybe to such an extent that the original purchase price saving is cancelled?

went for original ipad 16gb, £312 delivered. I get on fine with iphone 4, cant see that im going to do much more than i do with that, i can always get a V2 if i really need it at a later date, but will likely chop it in when 3 comes along.

ive noticed that too wish id stayed on 4.2

It's a shame you can't go back to an older firmware if you want to. I'm running 4.2.1 on my iPhone and have heard quite a few stories of people having issues, so I'm not going to 4.3 unless I really need to. :)

iPad2 ordered :-D Shame I now have to wait until April 26 for delivery. :-(

The iPad 2 is starting at £399 and the iPad 1 is £329.

For the sake of £70, I would get the best there is.

It'll be faster and will have a better quality screen. And you never know, you might want to use the video call thing at some point - know anyone who has any iPhone 4 or Skype?

Both have the same screen don't they?!

talked to apple genius about battery on iphone 4, he blamed 26 running apps...

..also asked about use of ipad vs ipad2 for non-mission critical farting about. in hushed tones he told me that Ipad woud be more than adequate for general use...

I got the 32gb 3g iPad 1 from new York ago weeks ago and couldn't be happier.

If you want gps you need the 3G version.

I also got the camera connection kit, pretty good for on the location backups.

I got a three micro sim as well, £20 for 3gb over 3 months.

Back