Ipad or nexus7

Name
Naveen
Edit My Images
No
Is google nexus 7 a better option? I currently do not own a tablet. Desire to buy ipad but find it a bit too expensive. Being an iphone user i am tempted to go for ipad. But reaaly good reviews of nexus7 . Very attractive considering the price tag.

Whats your take?

What do you want it for?

I have a nexus 7, and love it, but I use it mainly for office type functions when I am in my lab and away from my computer. While the Nexus's screen is pretty good, I'm not sure I'd use the tablet for photography stuff.

One of the key things is the availability of quality apps. The reason my Galaxy Tab doesn't get used is that Good Play's offering is poor compared to the Apple App Store.

iPad... You'll "save" with apps because you can buy them once and use on all your iDevices. If you get a Nexus7 then you're buying a whole new set of apps - if you can find them.

iPad... You'll "save" with apps because you can buy them once and use on all your iDevices. If you get a Nexus7 then you're buying a whole new set of apps - if you can find them.

Sometimes the iPad app is different to the iPhone app. Yes the iPhone app will work on the iPad, but will look pants.

I have an android tablet and an iPad. IPad wins by a long way!

vaizki said:

As long as you continue to buy into the apple style over substance ethos.
Otherwise android apps will follow you as long as you buy from any manufacturer except nokia, rim or apple ;)

Plus buy once and works on any/all android devices even if from another manufacturer so I would suggest android is far better on your "save" point above :)

Last edited:
Dale_d3100 said:
I have an android tablet and an iPad. IPad wins by a long way!

Then you have not bought the correct android tablet imho.

I too have the new I pad and i love it. fantastic bit of kit loads of free apps too plus face time and my photos look miles better than they do on my lap top.

The current iPad is notably bigger (ignoring the new 'mini') than the Nexus7 so it depends whether the nexus has a big enough screen for your needs - i.e. you're not comparing apples with apples!

Sit tight for a couple of months and wait for the 'mini' iPad.

Likely to be the same price point as the Nexus.

Yeah, right. I'll believe that when I see it. The iPad is already more expensive than the majority of tablets out there and has notably less features than some, particularly ones that are similarly priced as the iPad. I remember in particular a review of one of the newest Samsung jobs and it pee'd all over the iPad in functionality both software and hardware, and could even multitask in a variety of ways, and yet it was at a similar price point as an iJobby.

I am considering the Google nexus v iPad argument but I am not at all confident that an iPad mini would give me what I want in a package that is priced right... and I base that assumption that Apple kit is always at a premium price and I end up dissatisfied with the feature set.

Last edited:
I recently bought the iPad and regret it, overrated and overpriced,wishing I'd gone the android route , iPad will be up for sale in the next couple of weeks .

Depends if Apple already have their hooks in you... if you already own an iPhone and a Mac (or whatever they're called now) then it makes perfect sense to go with an iPad.

If, like me, you're not tied to said fruit-based vendor, Android really is very good indeed these days. The Samsung Tab's mentioned above run a "skinned" version of Android, which means Samsung have altered the look and feel. Personally I don't like the skinned versions of Android, so bought a Nexus to go with my Asus Transformer.

The Nexus runs a "naked" version of Android Jelly Bean, and it's very, very good indeed. It's every bit as slick as iOS when it never was before. I know of quite a few people who've done the Apple thing and have now had enough, bored with the high hardware prices, the planned obselescence of devices (check ebay to see how many iPhone 4 and 4s's are on there in the runup to the iPhone 5). I've always admired Apple from a distance, as they're very VERY good at making money, but it feels like the company isn't innovating any more, hence why they decided to sue Samsung, plus the world and its dog.

Anyway I digress. Get a Nexus (y)

I do have an iPhone and MacBook Pro, but that doesn't suggest I am 'tied in' with Apple at all.

I refuse to pay £400 for a tablet. £150-£200 is much more appealing to me - for browsing, video, music and of course as an e-reader.

Never owned an iProduct, do have a Nexus 7 and love it. I've also got a 10" Android tablet (HP Touchpad) and they both have their plus points and minus points in terms of form factor. 10" gives a better browsing experience and has room for better speakers, 7" is more portable (fits in my cargo pocket) and it's better for reading because of its' lighter weight. Games balance out, some are better on the bigger screen and vice versa. Battery power is about the same, the 10" has room for a bigger battery but needs it more.
The N7 is considerably cheaper than a modern 10" device and being plain Google is going to get upgrades before most of the other Android makes.

mxfun said:
I recently bought the iPad and regret it, overrated and overpriced,wishing I'd gone the android route , iPad will be up for sale in the next couple of weeks .

You can swap it for my oh so wonderful Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1.

mxfun said:

You'll regret that.

I've not used an Android tablet that's anywhere as good as the ipad3 yet.

odd jim said:
You'll regret that.

I've not used an Android tablet that's anywhere as good as the ipad3 yet.

Shhhhh I've made him an offer he can't refuse.

There were some fascinating figures in the recent keynote speech about tablets. The ipad now has 68% of the tablet market share and yet 91% of tablet related web traffic involves an iPad. Which essentially means that people with non-apple tablets just don't use them.

I mentioned this to my son who works at Canary Wharf. He recently witnessed a colleague de-cluttering his desk and coming across a long-forgotten non-apple tablet.

So, if you intend using it, make it an iPad ;)

Ricardodaforce said:
Shhhhh I've made him an offer he can't refuse.

Sorry!

Ricardodaforce said:
You can swap it for my oh so wonderful Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1.

Let me think about that ,what spec is the Samsung tab 10.1 .

I have the iPad 2 16GB, prob about 3months old,bought from tesco on a spur of the moment kinda thing

There were some fascinating figures in the recent keynote speech about tablets. The ipad now has 68% of the tablet market share and yet 91% of tablet related web traffic involves an iPad. Which essentially means that people with non-apple tablets just don't use them.

I mentioned this to my son who works at Canary Wharf. He recently witnessed a colleague de-cluttering his desk and coming across a long-forgotten non-apple tablet.

So, if you intend using it, make it an iPad ;)

this post is more biased than an article in the telegraph on "benefit scroungers".

I don't suppose the aforementioned "keynote" was an Apple one, was it?

Give me a break...

Let me think about that ,what spec is the Samsung tab 10.1 .

I have the iPad 2 16GB, prob about 3months old,bought from tesco on a spur of the moment kinda thing

Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 ( WiFi, 16GB, White) - UK Version

If you are looking to buy / sell, well, you all know the rules by now ;)
No trading outside classifieds.
Please start a proper sales thread and go through the correct procedures
Thanks

this post is more biased than an article in the telegraph on "benefit scroungers".

I don't suppose the aforementioned "keynote" was an Apple one, was it?

Give me a break...

Yes, how naive of me. Of course Apple would totally make up the figures.

Well, yes. Their figures do appear to be inaccurate. Web analytics firm Chitika reckons the percentage of tablet generated traffic originating from iPads is a massive 94.64%. That's even greater than the figure used by Apple that you are scornful of.

The fact is, non-apple tablet owners don't appear to use them.

:wave:

Last edited:
The iPad is nice but the life of me we can't get ours to maintain the wireless connection and we have to keep restarting it.

If you are looking to buy / sell, well, you all know the rules by now ;)
No trading outside classifieds.
Please start a proper sales thread and go through the correct procedures
Thanks

Oops ,apologies .I get your hint :D

have now started a thread in classifieds (y)

I have the iPad 3, best thing I've ever bought period. Teamed with ps touch and a camera connector kit it's perfect (because I use SDHC cards not CF).

I reckon it's faulty.

I'm thinking the same thing as my Galaxy and Laptop are fine. Thankfully I bought it from John Lewis so I've got a 2 year warranty, although it's less than a year old. Not sure what to do about all the information and apps on it, what if they want to replace it?

StephyB said:
I have the iPad 3, best thing I've ever bought period. Teamed with ps touch and a camera connector kit it's perfect (because I use SDHC cards not CF).

There's third party CF adapters too, mine was only a tenner and works flawlessly!

gman said:
I'm thinking the same thing as my Galaxy and Laptop are fine. Thankfully I bought it from John Lewis so I've got a 2 year warranty, although it's less than a year old. Not sure what to do about all the information and apps on it, what if they want to replace it?

Back up to iTunes then do a factory reset / data wipe, easy!

Back