iPad - photo headache..

Name
Dan
Edit My Images
No
Scenario - I have some hi-resolution images on my pc I want to show to friends using my ipad.

I copied them to an SD card but the ipad didn't recognise the images on there.

I plugged the iPad into the PC to use itunes to copy them across, I didn't have the option perhaps because I had turned the iCloud photo sync off.

So I enabled the iCloud photo sync, deleted all the crappy mobile photos it downloaded then used iCloud on my pc to upload the images I wanted.

They started appearing without structure on my iPad, so I manually created some albums and put them in.

All the images are shown as crappy low resolution so I enabled the iCloud option to download the originals. I left it for a while but it doesn't appear to do it without me viewing each and every image (60) for 10-15 seconds - and even then it didn't do all and I've got to go back through them all until I'm happy all the high resolution images are shown.

So the next thing I do is google surface pro..

But really, why is it so difficult to get some images onto the iPad - is there a decent method I'm not familiar with?

Last edited:
Scenario - I have some hi-resolution images on my pc I want to show to friends using my ipad.

I plugged the iPad into the PC to use itunes to copy them across, I didn't have the option perhaps because I had turned the iCloud photo sync off.

So I enabled the iCloud photo sync, deleted all the crappy mobile photos it downloaded then used iCloud on my pc to upload the images I wanted.

They started appearing without structure on my iPad, so I manually created some albums and put them in.

All the images are shown as crappy low resolution so I enabled the iCloud option to download the originals. I left it for a while but it doesn't appear to do it without me viewing each and every image (60) for 10-15 seconds - and even then it didn't do all and I've got to go back through them all until I'm happy all the high resolution images are shown.

But really, why is it so difficult to get some images onto the iPad - is there a decent method I'm not familiar with?

Buy a Samsung Tablet instead, connect the tablet to your laptop with a USB cable and copy the images across - job done. Joking aside, isn't there a way of copying the images across to the iPad via USB without going though iTunes?

It isn't:

Method 1 - put the high res JPEG files onto an SD card - insert SD card reader into iPad - Import should auto open. If it doesn't there is likely something wrong with your reader.
Method 2 - Put the high res files on Google Drive/Onedrive/Box/Any other cloud host - download the app....save the photos to Apple Photos
Method 3 - Log into iCloud Photos (online not through iTunes!) - Drag and drop the files - iPad downloads the full res files.

Hopefully one of those methods works for you.

It isn't:

Method 1 - put the high res JPEG files onto an SD card - insert SD card reader into iPad - Import should auto open. If it doesn't there is likely something wrong with your reader.
Method 2 - Put the high res files on Google Drive/Onedrive/Box/Any other cloud host - download the app....save the photos to Apple Photos
Method 3 - Log into iCloud Photos (online not through iTunes!) - Drag and drop the files - iPad downloads the full res files.

Hopefully one of those methods works for you.

Thanks, I think method 1 would have worked if I had adhere to the folder structure that the ipad accepts - which is probably files directly in the DCIM folder - at which point I wouldn't have had to go through everything else..

Thanks, I think method 1 would have worked if I had adhere to the folder structure that the ipad accepts - which is probably files directly in the DCIM folder - at which point I wouldn't have had to go through everything else..

I believe file names have to 8 characters long as well, otherwise the iPad won't accept them. It's things like this that have stopped me buying an iPad Pro for photo work recently. I would really love to move my workflow over to one, but I know little annoyances like this would drive me mad over time.

Download the dropbox app, upload the images from your computer to dropbox and from there you can either download them to your ipad or view direct from the app.

Download the dropbox app, upload the images from your computer to dropbox and from there you can either download them to your ipad or view direct from the app.

:agree:this is generally how i do things, or method 1 seems to work fine for me if i can be bothered to copy, remove, insert, download the sd card.

meh, throw them in dropbox or something similar, open app on ipad, all done.

Buy the Photo Transfer App, only a few quid and it works a real treat!

Errr, iTunes, iPad, photo, synch a folder.

Errr, iTunes, photo, synch a folder.

It's been a while since I used itunes, and I looked for 'guides' online - I couldn't find the 'photo' option - just found the button you have to click.... it's so discreet

I was clicking the 'Daniel's iPad' under devices

which actually doesn't give me any options now that i've re-enabled icloud

itunes1.jpg

itunes2.jpg

Last edited:
Then click Synch photos, choose a folder.

Yes I did find it and then it told me iCloud needs to be turned off. Which is probably what happened last time.. I remember taking ages to find that button to show the photos option

I use DropBox because I can shove the photos in the folders I want and delete them on the computer. I do not like iCloud photos as I want to choose what I have everywhere!

Likely you’ve solved the problem but I’ve never had a problem getting files on an off the iPad. SD card reader works perfectly so there must be something wrong with yours or the files. Photostream works in nits various ways but I agree can be inconvenient to photographers in contrast to happy snappers. iCloud Drive on Mac and iPad works fine — you can drag and drop files to it on the Mac and they appear in files on the iPad and can then be moved/shared to “Photos”.

I believe file names have to 8 characters long as well, otherwise the iPad won't accept them. It's things like this that have stopped me buying an iPad Pro for photo work recently. I would really love to move my workflow over to one, but I know little annoyances like this would drive me mad over time.
That’s a really odd idea about 8 character file names. That’s a Windows thing AFAIK, Mac’s haven’t been like that for a long time and iPad’s maybe never. Just checked a file name of a photo on my iPad and it’s “d2b246c6f5e65c8563f911f7da5e6aa8.dng” so no, there is no 8 char limit.

That’s a really odd idea about 8 character file names. That’s a Windows thing AFAIK, Mac’s haven’t been like that for a long time and iPad’s maybe never. Just checked a file name of a photo on my iPad and it’s “d2b246c6f5e65c8563f911f7da5e6aa8.dng” so no, there is no 8 char limit.

I've seen several YouTube videos where people have been unable to import photos or videos because the filename must be 8 characters long. Could be incorrect, as I say I'm prevented from buying one by all of the small issues they seem to have completing basic computing tasks. I would really love one as my primary computer, the hardware is incredible but the software does have a long way to catch up with a proper Mac or Win10 PC

I've seen several YouTube videos where people have been unable to import photos or videos because the filename must be 8 characters long. Could be incorrect, as I say I'm prevented from buying one by all of the small issues they seem to have completing basic computing tasks. I would really love one as my primary computer, the hardware is incredible but the software does have a long way to catch up with a proper Mac or Win10 PC
OK, I’ve googled it and it seems to me that it’s a part of the FAT file system on SD cards where an 8+3 char name is specified. See:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Design_rule_for_Camera_File_system

I’ve never had the problem because I’ve only used my SD card reader transferring files from camera to iPad and cameras only make 8+3 filenames (AKAIK).

I wouldn’t use a card reader to transfer files from computer to iPad as it’s too clunky, so much easier to just use the file system (via iCloud Drive) or Photostream etc or Air Drop etc etc.

Back