Ipad Pro, Macbook or what for LR?

Edit My Images
No
Firstly apologies for posting what may seem like a routinely answered question, but I'm having real issues getting to grips with this.
I use an old stand alone version of LR (v6) on my desktop PC.
For quite a long time now, I have struggled to keep pace with the editing of my images. The desire to do so is there but the discipline doesn't seem to be! Part of it is also that I am so far behind with the editing of my images that I am overwhelmed by it all.
In my mind, I have this notion that being able to sort/edit on a mobile device (while sitting on the sofa etc) would re-ignite my enthusiasm, especially as I always seem to have my (old) Ipad near to hand. Seems to be a lot less hassle to turn on the Ipad & edit a few photos rather than trudge upstairs, turn on the PC, etc. My Ipad is old, won't upgrade to the latest IOS and needs replacing. I've thought about a new Ipad Pro.
Before splashing any cash, I really do need to get to grips with the workflow. I am not a Cloud user and so my first thought is "how do I sync my Lightroom catalogue"? Is it correct that you cannot sync LR locally? If I decided to go with just an Ipad, presumably you can't store the LR catalogue there?
I guess my other options are a Macbook of Windows laptop. Guess this would resolve the sync issue, but they're different beasts to the Ipad Pro.
I realise that there is recent forum post about LR sync but didn't want to jump on that - hence this post.
Thanks in advance for any words of wisdom.

My understanding is that stand alone Lightroom does not sync, I believe you need the Creative Cloud subscription to be able to sync with the mobile/iPad app.

Unfortunatly neither can you sync automatically between 2 PCs (or Macs). My workflow with a desktop and laptop is to import photos to the laptop in a fresh catalog, then when I have processed them import the whole temporary catalog into the main catalog on my desktop. I use this when I'm travelling, or need to get fairly instantaneous feedback on images.

When I'm at home I just set aside a few evenings a week where I'll sit at my iMac and process photos between 8pm and 9pm. It is much easier when you are in the routine.

My understanding is that stand alone Lightroom does not sync, I believe you need the Creative Cloud subscription to be able to sync with the mobile/iPad app.

Unfortunatly neither can you sync automatically between 2 PCs (or Macs). My workflow with a desktop and laptop is to import photos to the laptop in a fresh catalog, then when I have processed them import the whole temporary catalog into the main catalog on my desktop. I use this when I'm travelling, or need to get fairly instantaneous feedback on images.

When I'm at home I just set aside a few evenings a week where I'll sit at my iMac and process photos between 8pm and 9pm. It is much easier when you are in the routine.
Many thanks for taking time to reply. I'm happy enough with what my stand alone version of LR offers and really don't want to incur the extra expense of a subscription unless I could be 100% sure that i'd be getting vfm through increased use, etc.
Even though I've used LR for a couple of years now, i feel that there is so much I still need to learn, especially the catalogue/collections side of things.
Your idea to set aside specific time to use LR on the desktop is helpful - I've sort of tried this before, only for my self discipline to collapse.
Possibly my best option would be to buy a laptop, move LR to that and then either use it in laptop mode or plug in my external screen for more serious editing sessions.
Thanks again.

I use an iPad Pro (1st gen) and an imac. Firstly as others have said the standalone doesn’t sync, if you want this unfortunately you have to splash out for the cloud subscription. For me though it is worthwhile as the iPad allows me to start my editing whenever or wherever I am, for example on holiday.

I import to the iPad and into LR (deleting from Photos) once complete, I can then do all my rating, cullling and editing. Rather than having to wait until I get home and having 100’s of photos to sort, which typically doesn’t get done. Once the iPad gets a decent signal it then uploads everything to the cloud and syncs with my Mac at home, likewise if I’m at home I can import direct into LR on the Mac and then carry out my editing on the sofa while the wife watches Eastenders using the iPad.

BTW I think the LR sync post was mine, I think I resolved the issue by connecting to a decent internet connection

I use an iPad Pro (1st gen) and an imac. Firstly as others have said the standalone doesn’t sync, if you want this unfortunately you have to splash out for the cloud subscription. For me though it is worthwhile as the iPad allows me to start my editing whenever or wherever I am, for example on holiday.

I import to the iPad and into LR (deleting from Photos) once complete, I can then do all my rating, cullling and editing. Rather than having to wait until I get home and having 100’s of photos to sort, which typically doesn’t get done. Once the iPad gets a decent signal it then uploads everything to the cloud and syncs with my Mac at home, likewise if I’m at home I can import direct into LR on the Mac and then carry out my editing on the sofa while the wife watches Eastenders using the iPad.

BTW I think the LR sync post was mine, I think I resolved the issue by connecting to a decent internet connection

Thanks for replying Chris. I saw your earlier posts and hoped you might post a comment on here.
So basically if I go the IPAd route it's a subscription for LR or I've made a hugh mistake shelling out for the IPad? A really dumb follow up question, presumably you can't run LR 100% on an IPAD (with no desktop interaction)?
Do things get any better if I were to go the laptop/macbook route? I think I'm correct in saying that my stand alone LR licence allows one installation on the desktop and another on a laptop if owned/used by me. Can I then share and swap catalogues without needing to use the cloud/have a subscription?
It's not that I'm being tight here - I just find that my current version of LR does all I want (assuming I'm on the desktop).
Sorry to ask these (basic) questions. I have made attempts to watch videos etc but every time I do, I seem to get very confused, very easily. Probably an age thing!!
Thanks for any further help.
Stuart

Thanks for replying Chris. I saw your earlier posts and hoped you might post a comment on here.
So basically if I go the IPAd route it's a subscription for LR or I've made a hugh mistake shelling out for the IPad? A really dumb follow up question, presumably you can't run LR 100% on an IPAD (with no desktop interaction)?
Do things get any better if I were to go the laptop/macbook route? I think I'm correct in saying that my stand alone LR licence allows one installation on the desktop and another on a laptop if owned/used by me. Can I then share and swap catalogues without needing to use the cloud/have a subscription?
It's not that I'm being tight here - I just find that my current version of LR does all I want (assuming I'm on the desktop).
Sorry to ask these (basic) questions. I have made attempts to watch videos etc but every time I do, I seem to get very confused, very easily. Probably an age thing!!
Thanks for any further help.
Stuart

In theory, with the iPad Pro and LRCC you could do 95% of the work, the only things CC doesn’t do is HDR merge or Pano stitching, however you can do that with Affinity Pro.

With regards to multiple pcs, I can’t remember how the standalone works but I’m guessing it’s no different to CC in that you can have it on 1 PC and 1 Laptop.

Options to share catalogues between the 2 would be

1. Have catalogues and everything else on an external hard drive and plug/unplug as required
2. Have main catalogue on 1 machine and when you’ve finished working on the laptop export the temp catalogue and import into the desktop (a bit messy)

Check out the prices and specs before you decide, the new iPad Pro is available with 1tb storage 4g/WiFi for nearly £1800! Personally I find 256gb sufficient

I also have Lightroom 6. I put Lightroom on my iPad and it seemed to activate some kind of one month trial that allowed Lightroom 6 to sync with the iPad. So you could try for a month to see if it helps with your motivation.

I don’t want to pay for a subscription so I only use Lightroom on my Mac mini and MacBook now. When I have added new photos to the catalogue in the Mac mini and done what I want with them, I export them as a catalogue. And then import that catalogue to the MacBook which adds the photos to the MacBooks’s Lightroom catalogue.

I don’t actually spend that much time in Lightroom but I like sitting in the study with the Mac mini and the Apple Cinema Display. I suspect the key to that is the very comfortable Eames chair in the study!

I also have Lightroom 6. I put Lightroom on my iPad and it seemed to activate some kind of one month trial that allowed Lightroom 6 to sync with the iPad. So you could try for a month to see if it helps with your motivation.

I don’t want to pay for a subscription so I only use Lightroom on my Mac mini and MacBook now. When I have added new photos to the catalogue in the Mac mini and done what I want with them, I export them as a catalogue. And then import that catalogue to the MacBook which adds the photos to the MacBooks’s Lightroom catalogue.

I don’t actually spend that much time in Lightroom but I like sitting in the study with the Mac mini and the Apple Cinema Display. I suspect the key to that is the very comfortable Eames chair in the study!

Thanks for taking the time to reply. So effectively, you've got one copy of LR on your "main PC" and a second copy on the macbook, both permitted under the one licence?

If I go the "laptop" route as you have, I'm struggling to understand if it would be sensible to buy a new macbook air (I've always liked apple kit) bearing in mind my main desktop is a windows 10 machine.

Last edited:
In theory, with the iPad Pro and LRCC you could do 95% of the work, the only things CC doesn’t do is HDR merge or Pano stitching, however you can do that with Affinity Pro.

With regards to multiple pcs, I can’t remember how the standalone works but I’m guessing it’s no different to CC in that you can have it on 1 PC and 1 Laptop.

Options to share catalogues between the 2 would be

1. Have catalogues and everything else on an external hard drive and plug/unplug as required
2. Have main catalogue on 1 machine and when you’ve finished working on the laptop export the temp catalogue and import into the desktop (a bit messy)

Check out the prices and specs before you decide, the new iPad Pro is available with 1tb storage 4g/WiFi for nearly £1800! Personally I find 256gb sufficient

Thanks Chris. I've managed to download a copy of CC onto my wife's IPAD mini (it's the only IPAD we have which is IOS11/12).
Initially it wouldn't launch until I used my existing (old) Adobe log in. I had a quick play and it offered my paid for upgrades for certain features. Presumably if I opt for a subscription, these "missing features" magically appear within CC?
There appear to be 2 subscriptions at just under a £10 per month. One is CC only with 1TB. The other appears to give CC, Classic (for my desktop) and only 20Gb space. Is this because with the latter, my images/Raw files would principally still reside on the desktop?
Regards
Stuart

Is this because with the latter, my images/Raw files would principally still reside on the desktop?
Regards
Stuart

Basically, yes.

I have iPad, Macbook and iMac and it is a right faff trying to keep it all synced so I don't bother.

When travelling I use an iPad pro 10.5" with LR CC and Affinity Pro for pano stitching - I do a lot of panos. To be honest I could almost happily get by with just this as it is much snappier than LR on the iMac, sometimes though a big screen is very handy. I still use the 'photographers package' with LR Classic, 20GB isn't really enough space though but the CC only option still lacks a few critical features (HDR and Pano stitch).

I am about to sell the iMac I think, due to the patter of tiny feet I am giving up my man-cave and so will just be Macbook and iPad (will probably switch to a 15" Macbook to have a bit more processor / graphics grunt for if/when I fancy a bit of gaming).

As Ned has said with Classic your Raw's download to the desktop, so there isn't the same need to keep them in the Cloud. I could also probably do without Classic most of the time because I find that LR is so slow and clunky (2015 27" iMac 16GB Ram). Eve when I use my wife MBA I use LRCC rather than Classic. If only CC would introduce merging and stitching, I would also like the same a proper healing function that functions with tablets. I love the way Adobe Fix works in this way, but just find it infuriating that I have to export the image, fix it and then return it, which creates a second jpeg rather than amending the original raw.

Keep an eye on Amazon around Cyber Monday/Black Friday as they normally have deals on

Basically, yes.

I have iPad, Macbook and iMac and it is a right faff trying to keep it all synced so I don't bother.

When travelling I use an iPad pro 10.5" with LR CC and Affinity Pro for pano stitching - I do a lot of panos. To be honest I could almost happily get by with just this as it is much snappier than LR on the iMac, sometimes though a big screen is very handy. I still use the 'photographers package' with LR Classic, 20GB isn't really enough space though but the CC only option still lacks a few critical features (HDR and Pano stitch).

I am about to sell the iMac I think, due to the patter of tiny feet I am giving up my man-cave and so will just be Macbook and iPad (will probably switch to a 15" Macbook to have a bit more processor / graphics grunt for if/when I fancy a bit of gaming).

Thanks, ned.
So apart from HDR and pano stitching, is there not much to choose between CC and Classic?
Interested to read that you have 3 devices. Is it simply down to size/weight/convenience that you use the Ipad Pro rather than the Macbook when travelling?
How do you find the 10.5" screen for editing? I currently have an IPAD 2 with 9.7" screen but can't try this out as it's stuck at IOS 9 and CC downloads need IOS 11 or above.
Stuart

Thanks, ned.
So apart from HDR and pano stitching, is there not much to choose between CC and Classic?
Interested to read that you have 3 devices. Is it simply down to size/weight/convenience that you use the Ipad Pro rather than the Macbook when travelling?
How do you find the 10.5" screen for editing? I currently have an IPAD 2 with 9.7" screen but can't try this out as it's stuck at IOS 9 and CC downloads need IOS 11 or above.
Stuart

The new iPad Pro is either 11 or 12.9 ". I have the 12.9 but if I was buying now I'd get the 11''

Edit: For viewing on a larger screen you could use the HDMI or VGA Lightning adaptor to connect to a monitor or tv

Last edited:
Thanks, ned.
Stuart

iPad is just more convenient than the Macbook for travelling and with the keyboard cover it is almost a total laptop replacement, when I say travelling we tend to do things like roadtrip Patagonia or train through Vietnam so small is useful (hence why I shoot m43). 10.5" is enough for editing on the move, especially as LR mobile is designed for smaller screens but I found 9.7" a little small on my old iPad Air (it doesn't sound like much of a difference but it makes quite a lot of extra screen estate).

I might look at the new ones as face recognition is surprisingly fantastic, as I have recently discovered with a new phone, but only as part of downsizing from three 'computers'.

I have also owned a 12" macbook and would happily have that as a one device system for photos, don't be put off by people saying it is underpowered, in day to day use it was no different to my powerful iMac and more than enough for photos (but not games, hence why I got rid). The 12" screen is lovely and just enough for decent photo editing.

The new iPad Pro is either 11 or 12.9 ". I have the 12.9 but if I was buying now I'd get the 11''

Edit: For viewing on a larger screen you could use the HDMI or VGA Lightning adaptor to connect to a monitor or tv
Thanks Chris. Very interested to read you'd go for the new 11" screen if buying now. Hadn't really consider the option of plugging the IPAD into my monitor!!!!

iPad is just more convenient than the Macbook for travelling and with the keyboard cover it is almost a total laptop replacement, when I say travelling we tend to do things like roadtrip Patagonia or train through Vietnam so small is useful (hence why I shoot m43). 10.5" is enough for editing on the move, especially as LR mobile is designed for smaller screens but I found 9.7" a little small on my old iPad Air (it doesn't sound like much of a difference but it makes quite a lot of extra screen estate).

I might look at the new ones as face recognition is surprisingly fantastic, as I have recently discovered with a new phone, but only as part of downsizing from three 'computers'.

I have also owned a 12" macbook and would happily have that as a one device system for photos, don't be put off by people saying it is underpowered, in day to day use it was no different to my powerful iMac and more than enough for photos (but not games, hence why I got rid). The 12" screen is lovely and just enough for decent photo editing.

Thanks Ned.
So buying a new Macbook Air and running LR standalone on that only would be a realistic option in your opinion?

Thanks Ned.
So buying a new Macbook Air and running LR standalone on that only would be a realistic option in your opinion?

Yep, absolutely.

The problem with the old Air was the screen resolution, which was too low for photos (not enough screen estate) but that is now resolved :)

Thanks Chris. Very interested to read you'd go for the new 11" screen if buying now. Hadn't really consider the option of plugging the IPAD into my monitor!!!!

More for the portability if nothing else. With the 1st gen iPad pro’s the screens and a few other bits were different, the 12.9 was the only one with usb3 for example, which makes a difference when importing 40mb files from a Sony A7Rii

Yep, absolutely.

The problem with the old Air was the screen resolution, which was too low for photos (not enough screen estate) but that is now resolved :)

More for the portability if nothing else. With the 1st gen iPad pro’s the screens and a few other bits were different, the 12.9 was the only one with usb3 for example, which makes a difference when importing 40mb files from a Sony A7Rii

Thanks for all replies received. I know logically I should probably go the CC route (with or without Classic CC on the desktop) because this is the only way I get to use an Ipad Pro (unless I change software to say Affinity).
My main issue with this is that I still live in the dark ages - don't use the cloud if I can help it, don't like contactless cards, etc, etc.
But and this is potentially a big but, if I go the laptop route I have to end up with something which is comfortable to perch on m,y knees when I'm sitting on the sofa. Anything too heavy won't get full use and would be a virtual waste of money.
I suspect that I'll still be pondering this in 6 months time - such is my fear of buying the wrong thing!

Hi all,

Apologies for hijacking this thread, but thought it would be better than to create a new one. I have been a PC user for many years now & am now considering switching to Apple for my editing.

I currently use a 2nd gen i5 Elitebook for the majority of my editing, but it is built like a tank and only adds weight to my luggage, for when I am away from home.

A fellow PC user friend of mine, recently got an oldish iMac and he said that not only does it work like a dream with Photoshop, but it also syncs perfectly with his iPad, to the extent that he is getting the most recent iPad Pro soon.

Now what I am looking for is something that will allow me to edit Raw files on Lightroom at home and when on the move, but also allow me to use Portrait Professional and Photoshop with a stylus / Pencil.

I am not a millionaire by any means, so would be happy with older equipment that would do the job, even if it means using a 2nd / 3rd Gen i5 in a macbook.

Is there anyone here that can point me in the right direction?

Many thanks

Hi all,

Apologies for hijacking this thread, but thought it would be better than to create a new one. I have been a PC user for many years now & am now considering switching to Apple for my editing.

I currently use a 2nd gen i5 Elitebook for the majority of my editing, but it is built like a tank and only adds weight to my luggage, for when I am away from home.

A fellow PC user friend of mine, recently got an oldish iMac and he said that not only does it work like a dream with Photoshop, but it also syncs perfectly with his iPad, to the extent that he is getting the most recent iPad Pro soon.

Now what I am looking for is something that will allow me to edit Raw files on Lightroom at home and when on the move, but also allow me to use Portrait Professional and Photoshop with a stylus / Pencil.

I am not a millionaire by any means, so would be happy with older equipment that would do the job, even if it means using a 2nd / 3rd Gen i5 in a macbook.

Is there anyone here that can point me in the right direction?

Many thanks

If you want to use the stylus/pencil on the screen of an Apple it has to be the iPad I'm afraid, and that that isn't a laptop replacement (despite what Apple say) and can effectively lock you into the Apple ecosystem which is something you should think very carefully about (I say that as someone locked into the Apple ecosystem...). In terms of which one to get you want an iPad Pro with at least a 10.5" screen so any would be ok other than the 1st gen 9.7".

If you want a laptop with touchscreen then I would look at a MS Surface Pro.

If you want an Apple laptop then the only ones to avoid are the older Macbook Airs, which have too low screen resolution to edit photos on. Other than that anything recent will be fine, LR and PS don't really use much processing power at all.

Last edited:
If you want to use the stylus/pencil on the screen of an Apple it has to be the iPad I'm afraid, and that that isn't a laptop replacement (despite what Apple say) and can effectively lock you into the Apple ecosystem which is something you should think very carefully about (I say that as someone locked into the Apple ecosystem...). In terms of which one to get you want an iPad Pro with at least a 10.5" screen so any would be ok other than the 1st gen 9.7".

If you want a laptop with touchscreen then I would look at a MS Surface Pro.

If you want an Apple laptop then the only ones to avoid are the older Macbook Airs, which have too low screen resolution to edit photos on. Other than that anything recent will be fine, LR and PS don't really use much processing power at all.

Thank you ever so much for the prompt reply, I fully understand that it isn't a laptop replacement, in complete honesty, all of my editing to date has been done with a trackpad or mouse. But now that I am looking to do more indepth stuff with Photoshop, I figured that something with a stylus maybe better. Strangely enough I was originally looking at getting a Surface Pro, but after reading so many nightmare stories on Flickergate, it did put me off & so I started looking at alternatives, like HP Spectre x360 amongst others.

It was a couple days ago where a friend got given a 3rd gen i5 iMac & he couldn't believe how smooth Photoshop ran on it, so then that got me thinking of changing to Apple for at home and when on the move. I fully understand about ecosystems as have been locked into PC's since school days on the old RM Nimbus, and then leaving school and getting my first ever PC, a 286. In fact I got that locked into the PC eco system, that I started to do PC Builds and Repairs. However I cannot see myself getting fully locked into the Apple Ecosystem, as crazy as it sounds, I hate iPhones, but quite like iPads, iMacs, Macbooks.

Thanks again for the advice tho, it is much appreciated.

Firstly apologies for posting what may seem like a routinely answered question, but I'm having real issues getting to grips with this.
I use an old stand alone version of LR (v6) on my desktop PC.
For quite a long time now, I have struggled to keep pace with the editing of my images. The desire to do so is there but the discipline doesn't seem to be! Part of it is also that I am so far behind with the editing of my images that I am overwhelmed by it all.
In my mind, I have this notion that being able to sort/edit on a mobile device (while sitting on the sofa etc) would re-ignite my enthusiasm, especially as I always seem to have my (old) Ipad near to hand. Seems to be a lot less hassle to turn on the Ipad & edit a few photos rather than trudge upstairs, turn on the PC, etc. My Ipad is old, won't upgrade to the latest IOS and needs replacing. I've thought about a new Ipad Pro.
Before splashing any cash, I really do need to get to grips with the workflow. I am not a Cloud user and so my first thought is "how do I sync my Lightroom catalogue"? Is it correct that you cannot sync LR locally? If I decided to go with just an Ipad, presumably you can't store the LR catalogue there?
I guess my other options are a Macbook of Windows laptop. Guess this would resolve the sync issue, but they're different beasts to the Ipad Pro.
I realise that there is recent forum post about LR sync but didn't want to jump on that - hence this post.
Thanks in advance for any words of wisdom.

Sorry to rain on your parade but it had nothing to do with iPad, it had everything to do with you personally.

You need to feel confident in yourself to face the challenge and complete the task, you need to get into gear with your discipline and get going, you need to believe in yourself to be able to feel like you can do it, and that you need to believe you are not overwhelmed by it.

A lot of writers, Alistair MacLean, J K Rowling, Arthur Conan Doyle, J R R Tolkien, and hundreds of other writers, could have feel like behind with their writing, and feel overwhelmed to finish this novel they have to write, but they did not. Many different writers have to build up a discipline in writing their novels. For example, spend one or two hours every day at the same time (say for example 7pm to 9pm), every day, and focus on writing. Also, if they run into problems, sometimes they don't feel overwhelmed by struggling to get the story going, all they do is set it aside and do another chapter, they can get back to the stuck chapter when they have a fresh idea. They didn't have an iPad or a laptop in their days (well expect for JK Rowlings) so they didn't re-ignite their enthusiasm by using their heavy typewriter while on the sofa.

Think about it: If you use iPad to edit your work, while on the sofa, had it not occurred to you that the sofa would be too comfy, and you would be too relaxed to bother with doing the work, you would spend more time adjusting your sitting position, likely to stop working to watch television. I've often sat on the sofa, doing some simple work on my iPad, then ended up having a nap!

Of course, having an iPad with Adobe's Creative Cloud, could be helpful if you want to do editing at any time in order to catch up with your work. For example, on a long train journey, at a hospital waiting room (you know what the NHS is like), or do a bit of quick editing at the pub while waiting for your mates to arrive to meet up with you. But then again, you still need to work on your discipline, after all, an iPad is too easy to make you feel like wanting to stop working, and play Solitaire or Minesweeper.

When we drive on a long journey, we feel tired and overwhelmed with trying to get there, so we mostly stop at a service station every two hours, to have a bit of a break. It makes senses to spend a fixed amount of time doing your editing, then stop for a long break to stop yourself feeling overwhelmed.

You may also need to rethink your workflow. Maybe your workflow is blogging you down. To tell you the truth, I have totally no idea what steps do you do when editing your work. Maybe for example, you take so much photos over a matter of days or weeks, dump them into Lightroom, then attempt to edit them in one go? Why not break it down into smaller projects, take some photos, but at the end of the day, get them into LR and edit, before you take any more photos?

You can go for a new iPad and use the cloud if you want to, but you would still need to work on your confident and discipline, otherwise, what if you think the iPad and cloud would help, only to end up behind with your work and feel overwhelmed? Too many people easily set aside their work and ended up playing gaming apps on iPad, I know one friend who spent a bit of spare time playing game apps then later feel behind and overwhelmed with the work my friend was supposed to do. (If my friend did not waste the spare time, my friend could have complete the work rather than lag behind.)

You can do it. You need to relax a bit, believe in yourself, you need to believe you are not overwhelmed by your task. If you still want to go for iPad (or laptop) and use Adobe's Creative Cloud, then this is fine, it is your choice. You could still do both, use your desktop to really get into the work, and use the iPad for a bit of a catch up when away from desktop.

I prefer to use a third party hard drive and zenfolio to backup, never liked the creative cloud sync. I’m using MacBook Pro.

Back