iPad SD Card Reader Question

Edit My Images
Yes
Does anybody here use, or know of a good, aftermarket lightning to SD card reader?

I don't really want to £30 on an Apple branded one

Basically no.

You have to pucker up and buy the Apple one, all the others, as far as I can tell are not licensed so chances are they either A) won't work or B) will stop working at exactly the time you want it most as Apple cripple them through software.

Does anybody here use, or know of a good, aftermarket lightning to SD card reader?

I don't really want to £30 on an Apple branded one

I use a couple of ways to overcome the (imho) the flaky Apple SD card reader

1. Verbatim Mediashare unit

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00CZ0P0PS/ref=cm_sw_r_em_api_IXlFzbVCW95FN

This also allows me to use a CF card in a reader attached so when moving files from my older kit, I can do so wirelessly. The unit is also a 'power brick' which means you can run a portable USB drive off it and transfer files via the mediashare app on the IPad.

2. Use Toshiba Flashair SD Cards which are wifi enables and you can change the wifi connection on the IPad to the Flashair created network without the cards leaving the camera. The min firmware version is the W03 cards though Toshiba were due to release the newer W04 versions around now.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00CZ0P0PS/ref=cm_sw_r_em_api_IXlFzbVCW95FN

The connection to my IPad Pro 64Gb is spot on

In use the files can transfer to the Camera Roll selectively. If you have space it sees the RAW files but I tend to use that sparingly.

The eye-fi cards are no longer made.

I know the above options are not what you were asking for but an 'alternative' in the field is what I needed and it just works.

Steve

Note

It is likely that with the release of iOS 11 that the Mediashare app will no longer work on the new 64bit system. (It is 32Bit).

It also looks likely that Verbatim are not supporting the mediashare any more.

I have an older IPad Air which I will refrain from upgrading to iOS11 if the mediashare app is removed on my pro (likely). I will then use that as the file transfer medium.

So scrub the mediashare option. I shall stick with it but will hope that my IPad Air, which is 64Bit will still bridge to ICloud for photo storage.

Steve

Last edited:
Back