Iphone 4 vs 4s vs htc one s.

Name
Lewis
Edit My Images
Yes
Which would you go for and why? :thinking:

I'm due a new phone, had the HTC desire for 2 years now and its starting to play up.

I love the android, but also love apple, having the ipad 4 and (did) have an ipod touch which was superb!

:shrug: So stuck on what to get. :bang:

:help: :help: :help: :help: :help: :help: :help: :help: :help:

Got the One S, love it, never used an iPhone so can't help with a comparison.

Things about the One S - it uses a micro sim, if you intend using the sim from your Desire it will have to be cut down. The aluminium casing is very slim and quite slippy in the hand so benefits from a case of some sort, I have an Otterbox Defender on mine. The camera is not bad but with only 16gb onboard memory you won't want to be using it lots. The latest update gives it Jelly Bean and is supposed to enable otg which helps with the memory issue. I've not got that to work yet but others bave.

You probably need to handle the phones yourself, but from your 3 choices you can immediately discard the iphone 4, the 4s is newer and faster in operation (and has a better signal holding ability from an improved aerial design).

If it was my choice it would be the 4s, it is well built, better than any Android handset (the new HTC one in the process of being released might be as good or better, it has good comments so far, but I haven't seen one personally yet).

The HTC one S doesn't have a super reputation in the trade, it seems to have lots of issues that annoy customers, something borne out by a google search (7700 results, just from the Vodafone eforum).

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=one+s+problems&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en-gb&client=safari

Last edited:
Get the Samsung Galaxy S4 ... Will be the Best phone on the market.

My partner has an iPhone4, and the screen is far too small, and having to use iTunes to copy files/photos is a nightmare.

I've always had Samsung Galaxy movies, and swear by them.

The only iphone I'd get is the 5. 4S and 4 are very fragile with their glass back so it's either a thick case or very likely a crack

I am not sure HTC is even out yet, so wait for reviews and see if you can find negative ones. There are too many people reviewing gear just from the spec sheet

The only iphone I'd get is the 5. 4S and 4 are very fragile with their glass back so it's either a thick case or very likely a crack

I have a completely opposite view, if the iPhone 5 has one flaw, it's the fragility of build and easily damaged finish.

The 4S is built like a tank in comparison, and I have seen very few shatter from dropping, even if it does, a good copy back can be sourced for £5 and OEM backs for around £12.

I am not sure HTC is even out yet, so wait for reviews and see if you can find negative ones. There are too many people reviewing gear just from the spec sheet

Silver is available in limited quantities (mostly at P4U and simfree), black has been delayed and is now due later in the month, or even next month.

Last edited:
well if you have iPad already, stay with android as mobile phone, I would go for One X as it is better value when buy second hand. If you after new contract? HTC One would be my choice.

I have a completely opposite view, if the iPhone 5 has one flaw, it's the fragility of build and easily damaged finish.
My thoughts as well. I have a 4S that's due to be upgraded later this year and, while I usually just auto-upgrade to the latest model, I'm genuinely considering just sticking with my 4S.

A couple of people at work have the 5 and my daughter has the latest gen of iPod touch, but the added height and the more fragile nature have me concerned.

My thoughts as well. I have a 4S that's due to be upgraded later this year and, while I usually just auto-upgrade to the latest model, I'm genuinely considering just sticking with my 4S.

A couple of people at work have the 5 and my daughter has the latest gen of iPod touch, but the added height and the more fragile nature have me concerned.

Most definitely, I have had 2 iPhone 5's, I bought one simfree on release day and used it for a month, it just felt too delicate, I often fall asleep listening to music and didn't dare with the 5, it is just too long and thin (and I have seen a few with cracked screens from external pressure) so I kept my 4S as an iPod.

Within a month the 5 had picked up a few scratches to the anodising even though I had babied the phone, even to the extent of carrying it in a pouch. I cut my losses and sold it and went back to my 4S.

In January I was offered another 5 as a free upgrade so thought I would try again with a different colour, no joy, again the same feeling of fragility and a fear of scratching the anodising put me off after 3 weeks (as well as some anger against EE who were being difficult about unlocking) so I sold that one as well.

My 12 month old 4s is still immaculate and I use it without a case, I carry it in my pockets, and as I said quite often fall asleep with the phone. It takes all the use (abuse? ;)) and keeps going in a totally pristine condition. I've decided to keep it until the iPhone 6 arrives and is hopefully a more robust phone, I've even paid for an extra year of AppleCare so it's under warranty for another 11 months.

4S would be the one to opt for out of the list provided in the title.

I've had both the iPhone and HTC One and I much prefer the HTC. Screen is bigger as well and I also prefer the Android OS.
If you have the patience then I would wait for the new HTC One due to be released shortly.
The Samsung range, while I'm sure they are a nice phone they are incredibly cheap looking and I hate the Samsung software overlay they put on it.
Another option is the Google Nexus 4. Gets good reviews and is pure Android.

iPhones can be easily file managed with copytrans manager free

iPhones can be replaced on the spot and won't be sent away for indefinite periods of times for repair

There's a comparison on the interwebs showing how the camera on the iPhone 4S performs a lot better new htc one

Of course if you don't mind so so customer service and a limited range of (virus free) appa then there are a lot of awesome phones on the market

I'm not a fan boy but I've worked around the iProblems and am happy. The cameras are extremely good for phones. I've made 7x7" photo books with images from the iPhone 4 and they've come out awesome.

I've had both the iPhone and HTC One and I much prefer the HTC. Screen is bigger as well and I also prefer the Android OS.
If you have the patience then I would wait for the new HTC One due to be released shortly.
The Samsung range, while I'm sure they are a nice phone they are incredibly cheap looking and I hate the Samsung software overlay they put on it.
Another option is the Google Nexus 4. Gets good reviews and is pure Android.

I own my 2nd one Nexus 4 and I wish I didn't. Nothing wrong with screen and specs, just it doesn't work so well as the actual phone for calling

Most definitely, I have had 2 iPhone 5's, I bought one simfree on release day and used it for a month, it just felt too delicate, I often fall asleep listening to music and didn't dare with the 5, it is just too long and thin (and I have seen a few with cracked screens from external pressure) so I kept my 4S as an iPod.

Within a month the 5 had picked up a few scratches to the anodising even though I had babied the phone, even to the extent of carrying it in a pouch. I cut my losses and sold it and went back to my 4S.

In January I was offered another 5 as a free upgrade so thought I would try again with a different colour, no joy, again the same feeling of fragility and a fear of scratching the anodising put me off after 3 weeks (as well as some anger against EE who were being difficult about unlocking) so I sold that one as well.

My 12 month old 4s is still immaculate and I use it without a case, I carry it in my pockets, and as I said quite often fall asleep with the phone. It takes all the use (abuse? ;)) and keeps going in a totally pristine condition. I've decided to keep it until the iPhone 6 arrives and is hopefully a more robust phone, I've even paid for an extra year of AppleCare so it's under warranty for another 11 months.

I've never had one, but I have certainly watched many youtube drop tests. i5 survived everything where i4s was a wreck and even SGSIII was not so good any more... Scratching aluminium back is well known, if that is an issue you can put a cover film or a case. Screen fragility is something a lot more serious and would like to hear more about it

Seems like everyone is split, much like myself! I wont get a Samsung phone (or Samsung anything in fact, not sure why but I will never use a samsung gizmo! P.s. yes I know some parts of apple products are made by Samsung but its a samsung product as a whole)
Htc one X / HTC one are both to big for my liking, a mate of mine has the one X and its too big IMO. He needs to use both his hands to send a message unlike the One S which is just about managable.

I don't take out contracts, I buy the phone and get a 30 rolling sim only deal just so that i'm not tied in for a 2/3 year deal.

Back