iPhone Rumours OS3.0

Yikes, those are some nasty prices!

Just read the internet tethering is going to cost £15 a month for 3Gb bolt on. I think I'll pass on the 3GS and tethering options :(

Makes me wonder how that will be managed? I thought it was just a setting on your iphone and you can then tether it to your laptop, but there maybe something at o2's end as well?

The iPhone 3G 8GB is already available to buy and the new iPhone 3G S will be here on 19 June.

Thats when we should be able to get it in UK, according to O2

The internet tethering costs are in line with mobile broadband prices generally. For business plan users it's only £9.99 for 3GB or £20 for 9GB. That's not bad.

That is comparable with 3G dongle pay monthly deals, but think I'll be keeping my PAYG dongle for emergencies rather than tethering, it would be handy to use, but £15 p/m for something I may never use is too much for me!

Vodafone are pretty crap to be honest, I'm looking to change, but we'll see how it goes. I still have 2/3 months to run on my contract, waiting for them to offer me an upgrade to keep me on.:D

Been with them and Orange in the past and Vodafone have been best for me by a mile, only to happy to help when I have spoken to them

The internet tethering costs are in line with mobile broadband prices generally. For business plan users it's only £9.99 for 3GB or £20 for 9GB. That's not bad.

the thing thats annoying is when your already paying out for the data plan on the phone, which is supposed to be unlimited anyway.

Im not happy about this, i was hoping i could use my laptop on the move instead of using safari on the iphone screen.

If Apple continue with the 12 month product development cycle, then I can imaging a lot of the current 3G users will bypass the 3Gs all together.

Your typical early adopter 3G users still has a minimum of 7 months to run on their existing contract. So come Jan 2010, when we can all upgrade without penalty, it will only be another 5-6 months until the 'new' iPhone is released. If you upgrade to 3Gs in January, you'll be taking an 18 month minimum commitment, so why bother?

One more thing - Voice Control is limited to the 3Gs, it's not included in the final version of OS3.0 for 3G :(

If Apple continue with the 12 month product development cycle, then I can imaging a lot of the current 3G users will bypass the 3Gs all together.

Your typical early adopter 3G users still has a minimum of 7 months to run on their existing contract. So come Jan 2010, when we can all upgrade without penalty, it will only be another 5-6 months until the 'new' iPhone is released. If you upgrade to 3Gs in January, you'll be taking an 18 month minimum commitment, so why bother?

Thats the situation im in, and unless they change the pricing or upgrade rules i'll be skipping this one and waiting for the one after. Theres not enough of a jump to make it worthwhile. i was expecting a lot more from Apple.

Thats the situation im in, and unless they change the pricing or upgrade rules i'll be skipping this one and waiting for the one after. Theres not enough of a jump to make it worthwhile. i was expecting a lot more from Apple.

Depending on your spend, if you are currently on Pay Monthly with O2, they appear to have bent the rules due to customer demand... :shrug:

An extract from their iPhone site...

"Upgrading to the new iPhone 3G S

Existing Pay Monthly customers have the following options for upgrading
to iPhone 3G S:

Option 1 - wait until eligible for an upgrade.

All O2 Pay Monthly customers are part of O2 Priority List and those paying £35 or more a month, have the oppotunity to upgrade early. Customers won't have to see out the full term of their existing contract before being eligible for an upgrade.

All customers continually spending over a minimum of £80.00 a month, receive a 6 month early upgrade

All customers continually spending over a minimum of £50.00 a month, receive a 3 month early upgrade

All customers continually spending a minimum of £35.00 a month, receive a 1 month early upgrade

Terms apply. For more information on O2 Priority List click here.

Existing iPhone customers will, however, enjoy iPhone OS 3.0 software which will be free to download to all iPhone customers from 17 June offering over 100 new features.

For iPhone 3G customers this includes the much anticipated MMS (from 19 June) and also internet tethering (using your iPhone as a modem - also available from 19 June). Find out more.

Option 2 -

purchase the iPhone 3G S on Pay & Go from 19 June. You can give your existing iPhone 3G to someone you know.

Pay Monthly customers can place their existing iPhone 3G sim card into the iPhone 3G S and receive all the latest functionality. Customers must continue to pay for their existing Pay Monthly tariff.

Option 3 -

pay the remainder of their monthly line rental in one payment and sign a new Pay Monthly contract."

Not sure where I fit yet but will definitely be calling them to see if I qualify for an early upgrade now... :D

You never know... ;)

:p

Is push email, for regular email accounts going to be offered? They've built in push for applications, would be daft not to!

Surely that is more related to the mail server than the iPhone?

the mail server could push it sure, but with Nokia's push offering it does it all for you, the same with the Blackberry as far as I know!?

Dave.

I won't upgrade to 3.0 irrespective of any benefits. Simply out of protest that Apple have failed yet again to address the God awful messaging application. Seriously, I can't be alone on this.

the mail server could push it sure, but with Nokia's push offering it does it all for you, the same with the Blackberry as far as I know!?

Dave.

Surely if the phone does it that's fetch not push, and the iPhone already does that :shrug:

I won't upgrade to 3.0 irrespective of any benefits. Simply out of protest that Apple have failed yet again to address the God awful messaging application. Seriously, I can't be alone on this.

What's wrong with it?

I don't really send many texts but it works fine for me so far.

What's wrong with it?
I don't really send many texts but it works fine for me so far.
It works fine, but.....I'm stuck in 'In/out/sent box' mode! Tried to snap out of it, but can't.
Yeah it can be solved via jailbreaking, but I can't be arsed with that - I'd want to go legit.

It works fine, but.....I'm stuck in 'In/out/sent box' mode! Tried to snap out of it, but can't.
Yeah it can be solved via jailbreaking, but I can't be arsed with that - I'd want to go legit.

So Apple's 'god awful' messaging application is actually your preference for Symbian style archaic folders?

It wasn't as expensive as I thought, I went into my local o2 shop yesterday as my contract is up at the end of June, at the moment I have a 1st gen iPhone, 8gig & £45pm but don't use the 1200 minutes, upgrading to the 16gig 3Gs on it's release on a 24month contract and the handset will cost me £87, I didn't think that was bad at all :shrug: considering my current phone was on an 18mth contract and has plenty of life left in it.
I guess it depends whether you want to tie into a contract for 2 years.
Having not known about the early upgrade option to the 3G, this handset has done me fine without having the urge to upgrade, I won't be fussed if apple bring out a new version in 6 months time.
:)

So you're well sorted then Louise... excellent... (y)

Were you able to pre-order or is it a case of first come first served on 3Gs-day... :cautious:

I think its rubbish that the contracts are 24 months though. 18 is bad enough.

So you're well sorted then Louise... excellent... (y)

Were you able to pre-order or is it a case of first come first served on 3Gs-day... :cautious:

That's the catch! I was told I'd need to queue up on the day, and that it was first come, first served.. Shame I'm shootings wedding on the 19th so I can't :p
My contract doesn't run out until the 27th so I'll just attempt to get mine then, providing there's not a shortage :s

That's the catch! I was told I'd need to queue up on the day, and that it was first come, first served.. Shame I'm shootings wedding on the 19th so I can't :p
My contract doesn't run out until the 27th so I'll just attempt to get mine then, providing there's not a shortage :s

That's a damn shame... :cautious:

If it is anything like past times there will be an initial run on first stocks and then a couple of weeks to wait before they are refreshed... :shrug:

You could always do it on-line though... :D

Unfortunately I have to wait over a month as I am not a conventional consumer and will not be able to take advantage of the early upgrades I posted above... :eek: ... mine is a business account... :puke:

Looks like i'll be keeping my 3G for a while as mines not tied to business use, I took the early upgrade last time from 2G, still..................it's not as if i've stressed the 3G i have :D

Your point?

I think the point was you're generalising over the messaging system being "god awful" when actually the issue is your inability to change the way you use a messaging application.

Personally I think it's quite elegant. Grey = received message, green = sent message. And they all get packaged up into conversations. Works better than the old way phones do this. But that's just my opinion, not a generalisation ;)

Back