iphone?

Name
Matt
Edit My Images
Yes
Im on contract with Vodafone at the moment and the question Im asking is if I got a pay as you go iphone and got it unlocked could I use it with no problems?

Yes and no.
If you do a software update then the phone will most likely die, plus apparently apple are killing them by IMEI number if they find out they are unauthorised.

Yes and no.
If you do a software update then the phone will most likely die, plus apparently apple are killing them by IMEI number if they find out they are unauthorised.

Ah I see its a shame as I just got the Blackberry Storm for £30 per month and now I see O2 are doing the iphone for £35 per month but Im locked into a 24month contract now so not much I can do.

Thanks for the help.

I had a blackberry storm and despite loving the screen i just couldnt get on with it so bought a used iphone and unlocked it and i am now wondering how i ever lived without it.

I had a blackberry storm and despite loving the screen i just couldnt get on with it so bought a used iphone and unlocked it and i am now wondering how i ever lived without it.

You are just making me want one more now :LOL:

Blackberrys are going for a good price on ebay I see so might just sell it, just wish phone contacts could be cancled :LOL:

The keyboard is a pain in the back side although Im getting use to it and the phone is just very slow to do anything and dont get me started on the screen going from portrate to landscape it just dont want to work.

I now use my vodafone sim that i got with my blackberry storm in my iphone, it was a doddle to unlock and jailbreak..the iphone is much faster on the internet and youtube..it just seems a much nicer internet and multimedia experience than the storm..just my opinion but when i sold my storm i couldnt get more than £145.00.

having said that my mate who has had both phones currently wouldnt part with his storm.

I now use my vodafone sim that i got with my blackberry storm in my iphone, it was a doddle to unlock and jailbreak..the iphone is much faster on the internet and youtube..it just seems a much nicer internet and multimedia experience than the storm..just my opinion but when i sold my storm i couldnt get more than £145.00.

having said that my mate who has had both phones currently wouldnt part with his storm.

Cool think thats what I will have to do I went into carphone warehouse and asked if they could buy me out and they couldnt but the bloke I spoke to advised I get an iphone then just unlock it.

Did you get your iphone off ebay?

When you say you just got the contract...how long ago was it?

Isn't there normally a cooling off period?

I have an iphone 3g and an unlocked 2g version, which gets used on the Orange network.

If it were me I'd buy the 2g version from ebay and unlock / jailbreak it (the 3g version couldn't be unlocked last time I checked).

Cool think thats what I will have to do I went into carphone warehouse and asked if they could buy me out and they couldnt but the bloke I spoke to advised I get an iphone then just unlock it.

Did you get your iphone off ebay?

I did buy it off ebay after hmming Rrring about a 16 gig one that was for sale on TP and quibling over 30 quid like a fool, I ended up paying £190.00 for an 8gb 2g Iphone, but alas I am so happy with it and all of the software to unlock it is freely available on the internet but be advised the bluetooth is crap (you need a 3rd party application) but otherwise I just love it.

Happy snapper , the only way to unlock a I phone 3G running software version 2.2.1 & Modem version 02.30.03 is to use the rebel sim card as was perviously stated the reason i say this as before it sent out it would be updated , under no circumstances allow I tunes to update your I phone if you decide to go down this route, it will not kill it , it will upgrade it to a higher software/modem version that is not compatible with the current rebel sim card , also be aware that in the next couple of months Apple are releasing a Major update I Phone software version 3.0 hope this helps

Ok so the 2g handset seems the route to go then.

What is a fair price on a used one on ebay?

Thanks to everyone for the helpful replys (y)

personally i am waiting of version 3 coming out in june/july

cant wait - but means i will have to give my iplod touch away to family

Joe©;1518117 said:
personally i am waiting of version 3 coming out in june/july

cant wait - but means i will have to give my iplod touch away to family

Joe, same phone iPhone 3g - big big software update from 2.2.1 to 3.0.0 etc.......

Joe, same phone iPhone 3g - big big software update from 2.2.1 to 3.0.0 etc.......

Lots of rumours that there will be a new phone too, also talk of a useable camera with it! :LOL: (well useable compared to the camera in the current iPhones)

Ok whats better for unlocking Ziphone or the iclarified guide using winpwn??

Winpwn. Ziphone is more than a bit dodgy, and from what I read when I had my 2g iPhone, it makes some changes you cant put back (this was a while ago though to be fair!)

Happy Snapper Ziphone will only unlock 2G iphones up to version 1.14 , quickpwn will unlock all software version of the 2G iphone & will unlock 3G iphones up to version 2.2 , I have used both no problems at all

Happy Snapper Ziphone will only unlock 2G iphones up to version 1.14 , quickpwn will unlock all software version of the 2G iphone & will unlock 3G iphones up to version 2.2 , I have used both no problems at all

Ok thanks for your help have already downloaded the stuff I need via iclarfied and a slicone case off ebay very excited now. :D

i know someone on vodaphone who just jailbroke his g3 iphone to work with his sim without using piggy back sim. as said in previous post you cant use current upto date software 2.1.1 as it has small base band.

the new 3.0 ed software apperently will let you jail break it on any network.

i jailbroke mine on o2 just to allow me be freedom with phone such as ringtomes, wall paper, themes etc.
havent looked back.

i heard rumor there are three new iphones coming out.

iPhones rock but are a little commonplace. My flatmate has a gPhone (an iPhone that is 2 versions behind :)) and bores with "you can't copy/paste... blah... blah... blah..." - then I point out that I don't really need to that often, oh and the difference in build quality...

Just my $0.02 and own views ;)

Anyone know how to delete apps after they have been downloaded from cydia? Ive tryed holding for a few seconds until they all wobble but no option to delete??

Anyone know how to delete apps after they have been downloaded from cydia? Ive tryed holding for a few seconds until they all wobble but no option to delete??

Get CyDelete from cydia, you can then delete apps in the normal manner. Failing that go into cydia select "Manage" then select "Packages", select the app in question, click modify and then click remove.

CyDelete is easier :D

Just a cautionery note (if I have missed it being told already?) but the firmware isnt the problem with jailbreaking the 3G iPhone, its the Baseband that now prevents the iPhone from being unlocked.

All iPhones now sold have the latest baseband on them which cannot be reversed so you will not be able to use anything other than 02 on it unless you use a Rebel Sim, however the Rebels are pretty poor to say the least. They lose signal quite often and are generally just a pain in the backside.

Maybe the Devteam will produce a workaround and the latest baseband will be cracked but up to then I have to stick with my Blackberry as I too am on Voda!

I've used Ziphone on my iPhone and my sisters and it worked perfectly on both. I had to restore my sisters from a newer version than 1.1.4 back to 1.1.4 for Ziphone before doing the unlock (this was a long time ago and I obviously wouldn't do that now).

I'm planning on selling mine soon, I'd prefer to put the money into a nice dSLR. :thinking:

Matt, if yours is unlocked, and you're planning on selling, let me know when it's in trade section or ebay or wherever :naughty:

For anyone interested.

Here are the latest EDGE settings for most of the UK networks:

To get EDGE (gprs) to work:
· Go to Settings, General, Network,Cellular Data Network and add the following

Vodafone UK

· APN address: wap.vodafone.co.uk (Contract)
· APN address: internet (Contract)
· APN address: pp.vodafone.co.uk (PAYG)
· Username: wap
· Password: wap

Orange UK

· APN address (Contract): orangewap
· APN address (PAYG): paygwap
· Username: Orange
· Password: Multimedia

T-Mobile UK

· APN address: general.t-mobile.uk
· Username : user
· Password: wap

O2 UK

· APN address: wap.o2.co.uk
· Username : o2wap
· Password: password

Virgin UK

· APN address: goto.virginmobile.uk
· Username : user
· Password: (leave blank)

Hope these help

I have used the Vodafone one and it works fine.

Back