IR Conversion

Name
eeyore
Edit My Images
Yes
Since my trusty canon g5 that I had converted for IR pictures (hot filter removed) has passed on to the next life I've been a little stuck as to what to fill the void with.
I've got an old 450d canon that I could get converted but from the prices for the conversion in the uk it seems a bit of a waste of time as the camera is worth so little and it's so old now. So I've been thinking of getting a newer converted camera.
The main players in the UK seem to favour nikon cameras but as I'm a canon user it's not the best for me as I'd need new lenses.
One guy if had a look at on eBay is in the states. Canon 600d converted to full spectrum for around £400 + import costs.
Have any users imported a camera from the states?

EBay has a few uk users selling converted cameras but I'm not sure about the quality of the conversion. My canon g5 was converted by infaready and worked OK but they don't seem to do dslr cameras.

Can anyone recommend a converter ether UK or abroad?

DSLR and Mirrorless converters in the UK are ACS and Protech

I too had a camera bought pre converted from Infraready (A Nikon J1) which I sold on recently as I bought a Fuji X-E1 that had already been converted by Protech.

If you buy from the USA you may well end up paying VAT on top of the price.

I would suggest buying s/h (probably from eBay) and waiting for a suitable CAnon Camera to become available in the UK, you might wait a few months, or one may turn up next week.

I've got a converted 40D that I could be prepared to let go if you are interested.
Can't deal here, but could talk in the wanted section.
Converted by that firm in Essex (or somewhere down south - think I've still got the receipt).
I do like it, but never seem able to remember to get it out.
I tried filters and PP but could never get a decent result. Here's one I took with it...

German War Graves Cemetery
by Frank Yates2010, on Flickr

I've got a converted 40D that I could be prepared to let go if you are interested.
Can't deal here, but could talk in the wanted section.
Converted by that firm in Essex (or somewhere down south - think I've still got the receipt).
I do like it, but never seem able to remember to get it out.
I tried filters and PP but could never get a decent result. Here's one I took with it...

German War Graves Cemetery
by Frank Yates2010, on Flickr

Cheers for the offer but I'm really looking to get a newer camera.

Just got a quote back to convert a 70d at £250 for full spectrum.

I've been thinking full spectrum would be better as I a telescope and would love to do astro photos.
But.... If I go down this route for normal day to day pictures what filters will I need?

My Nikon J1 was full spectrum, I chose the appropriate filter for what I wanted to shoot. To take 'normal' photos with a Full Spectrum Camera you will need a 'hot mirror' filter (ideally you let through 400nm-700nm and block everything else)

Big disadvantage of Full Spectrum is that you are always messing about with filters, and conversion rings to suit different filter sizes. You can also get more glare on the imahes from light across the filter front unless you use a hood (not always easy with conversion rings)

But you have the advantage that you have ultimate flexibility.

With a DSLR you may suffer some focusing issues (re-calibration), I really think that mirrorless is the way to go for IR, as you have no focussing issues.

Cheers, I don't mind changing filters too much. As you say it's a trade off for flexibility.
Not off to price up some filters.. ;)

I used ACS to convert a D50, and later used protech to convert a D200. The ACS conversion was perfect, whereas the protech conversion was way way off on the focus adjustment and had to go back to be redone. It was so far off With the focus adjustment that I was surprised the technician would have let it out of the workshop. It was fine in the end , but I'd use ACS if I was going to get another one converted.

Last edited:
I've recently had a Nikon D800 converted by ACS and they seem to have done a first class job. They converted a Nikon D200 for me some years ago. Based on my experience I would definitely recommend ACS.

Infrared-Crickley-Hill-1.jpg

I have two Protech converted 5DMkII's and both are excellent. I'm sure they'll be occasional issues with either of the recommended converters in the UK and equally they'll both have many happy customers.

Bob

Reading life pixel site,I have a bit of a curve ball, converting a canon eos-m camera. Having never used one, but could get an adapter for my lenses so I could save money.

Another curve ball ish...
I've been looking up on filters... one site that came up was http://www.astronomik.com/en/clip-filter-system.html
Now I've never really known of them before now... but they do a clip in IR/UV blocker for EOS systems. (They also do, expensive, filters for astro stuff too)
The only snag, it only works with EF lenses not EF-S. For me its not too bad, I have a 75-300 a nifty fifty but I do need a replacement for my 18-55.

Has anyone used these?

You may be aware of the following but I thought I would point it out just in case....

Using filters on an unmodified camera will lose you around 8-9 stops as the installed hot mirror (IR blocker) does a pretty decent job of blocking out the very part of the spectrum that you're trying to capture. On a tripod and with a static subject then all is generally fine but trees and plants do wave in the breeze a little and you'll inevitably end up with some blurring.

Bob

I think I now know what I'm doing, does this make sense?

70d converted to full spectrum.
For 'normal' pictures 52mm & 58mm hoyer ir/uv blocking filter (canon 50mm + 18-45mm lens)
For my ir needs 52mm & 58mm hoyer 720nm filter

I think I now know what I'm doing, does this make sense?

70d converted to full spectrum.
For 'normal' pictures 52mm & 58mm hoyer ir/uv blocking filter (canon 50mm + 18-45mm lens)
For my ir needs 52mm & 58mm hoyer 720nm filter
That sounds okay.....there's no loss with the UV/IR blocking filter (filter factor 1) but the R72 will lose you around 4 stops (filter factor 16) when shooting IR.

Bob

I have had a d90 and x-e1 converted by ACS both work well. The autofocus on the x-e1 works well with all my lens whereas the d90 only works well with a couple of lens, as it was calibrated to a short zoom and the mirrorless does not need calibration. I am tempted to get a full spectrum camera at some stage in the future so would be interested to hear how you get on.

First twitchy ass moment, it should have arrived at protech today... but currently the last tracking point is the post office i took it to...

My camera is back from Pro Tech.
First things, pro Tech were really good with there communication and overall speed of service. Would recommend them.

The camera works as normal with a hoya IR/UV cut filter on the front. With the Hoya IR filter on you have to use live view. Not an issue but it does use more battery, I have about 5 so its not an issue.
I've not really had much time to take it out and play as work and rubbish weather is in the way. I have had a go at changing the white balance on the camera to vary the colour effects, I just cant remember what I did to get a yellow sky on my old G9!
I'm looking forward to taking some odd landscape pictures with it soon.

Back