IR Filter Q's:

Edit My Images
No
Hi all, i'm looking to get into IR photography and have a couple of questions.

1.) Is this a good time of year for IR? I mostly shoot landscape type shots and have heard that there needs to be a lot of sun out, i'm also using a D80 and so would require super long exposures?

2.) I would ideally like to use the filter on my sigma 10-20mm and would need a 77mm filter, which can be expensive.

So the next q is, the kood r72's are much cheaper than the hoya equivelant ones, are they as good? Would it be a good starting point? What are peoples thoughts on them?

3.) could I get away with a smaller sized filter stuck to a 77mm UV filter with bluetack around the edge? Due to the crop factor on the nikon?

4.) any tips, or tutorials?

Thanks in advance

Hi, IR photography is fun, as for some of your questions....

1. There is no particular good or bad time of year, just the time of day, first thing in the morning after the sun has risen and also later on in the aftgernoon before the sun starts to set are the best times for infra red apparently, but i've managed perfectly fine mid-afternoon.

2. I can't vouch for the kood IR, but i have a cokin ND grad and a kood ND filter, the kood tends to give me a blue cast whereas my cokin doesn't, also the kood feels more plasticy to me.

3. This idea won't work as light will be getting into the lens through the gaps.

4. Google infra red photography and you'll get lots of tips and tutorials, but my tip is there's no hard and fast rules as to exposure times, it's a matter of experimenting, also, focus your camera on the scene you are going to shoot, then switch to manual focus before putting IR filter on ;)

No idea about the Kood, I think they are pretty good but if you're worried about it wait an extra week or two and fork out for the Hoya.

By the way Number 3 on your list does work. Fstop11 has been using this method for some time. Get a 52mm IR filter and a 77mm UV and place the IR in the middle of the UV filter. As long as the blu-tack makes a perfect seal around the two filters it will be fine.

Panzer

I was half way through a long reply to your post last night when my PC decided to just turn itself off :bang: I can't remember half of what I was rambling on about now, but I do have both the Kood and hoya IR filters - unfortunately, I haven't really used either of them, so that's not much help to you :LOL:

Spring is meant to be the best time of year to do landscape IR photography. This is due to high levels of chlorophyll in the new leaves on trees etc. Apparently it absorbs IR light quite well and makes for more contrasty photos.

As for exposure, you probably need to bracket your shots until you find what is right. Hoodi has done some excellent IR stuff, so it may be worth asking him.

I have 2 books which are excellent resources on IR:
Infra Red Photography - a complete workshop guide by Hugh Milsom
Complete Guide to digital IR photpgraphy by Joe farace

It may also be worth your while doing a google search on IR photography (if you haven't done so already) as there's lots of good info out there.

Cheryl :)

By the way Number 3 on your list does work. Fstop11 has been using this method for some time. Get a 52mm IR filter and a 77mm UV and place the IR in the middle of the UV filter. As long as the blu-tack makes a perfect seal around the two filters it will be fine.

Panzer

There would have to be a complete seal to block light from the edge of the 52mm filter to the edge of the 77mm filter so light can't seep in behind the 77mm filter.

Back