Is a 50mm...

Edit My Images
Yes
...a must have lens?

I don't currently own one, but given that the Canon 50mm f1.8 II goes on ebay for around £50, should I buy one or else forever hang my head around other togs? :thinking:

I use a 30D and I'm mostly into portraits (or at least trying to be) if that make any difference...

Cheers,

K.

As far as i know it would make a great portrait lens but if you like the portrait shots your taking with your current lens theres no kneed to buy it just for the sake of having one.

What's making me consider it is that I currently only have the 18-55mm EF-S kit lens and my Sigma 70mm F2.8 Macro lens for portraits.

The 18-55 is fine but I don't know how it compares for quality

at that price i cannot see you loosing,
i got the nikon equivalent for £60, bargain for fast glass.
My avatar was taken with said lens.
Love it.

All I can say has already been said, for £50 it is a bargain, and quite good for portraits :)

The Canon 50mm 1.8 really is a cheap, plastic tatty looking little lens:LOL: Anybody who wants mine can have it.......

....if they can pry it from my cold dead hands:love:

I would've thought that the 70mm (EX, as I recall?) Sigma would best the 50mm for image quality. Depends really if you want the f/1.8 for an extra stop-and-a-bit of DoF and light.

umm-possible:)
There isn't a sigma lens sharper than a 50mm Nikkor.
Can't speak for the Canon version but I judge my whole lens collection against it.
Infact I don't believe there is any Sigma lens better overall than its equivalent Nikkor.

huh...I just thought, Sigma have missed a trick right there, a HSM 50, especially with all them d40/d40x/d60's kicking about.

Back