Is a nifty fifty embarrassing to use on a 5d3?

Edit My Images
No
Is it?

reason i ask is because i can now afford to finally grab a 5d3 but i do not have a general purpose/wide kind of lens for it.

i only have a nifty fifty and a 70-200 that can be used on a 5d3.

am i crazy to use a nifty fifty on this camera?

To anyone that has used this setup. does it improve the AF of the nifty fifty in low light? the nifity fifty with my 400d was practically usable in low light

The only reason to be embarrassed is if you are a gear whore rather than a photographer. Obviously the results won't be as good as a better lens but you have to spend your money as you see fit!

for £80 or what ever cheap price they are, its does not harm having

Yes absolutely you scoundrel!!!

Seriously, nah. My favourite walk-a-bout on my MK2 is the shorty forty. When I had a nifty it was a great lens. Got rid of it because at the time I had a 7D and it wasn't wide enough.

Last edited:
You're not worried about what other people think are you - as I used to feel that I should have some huge lens attached to my camera body then thought it was a bit stupid with the "hubble telescope" on the front to take a close up of someone :confused:

Thats anotehr reason why i dont use my 50mm, its not wide enough or long enough on a crop! but on a ff it is a dream(used a different 50mm on a slr film)

embarrassed by who? 99.99% of the population wouldn't even know what a 5D3 is. :)

There are a lot of advantages of have a 50mm lens (I use a 50mm 1.4 on my 5DII). A 50mm lens is a prime, it is small and it is light. You will get more exercise because you have to move around more to get the shot. It will probably improve your photography because you have to work a bit harder than with a zoom, but I'm sure the results together with the 5DIII will be brilliant. Ken Rockwell really rates the cheap Canon primes on the 5DIII. Good luck with your new camera.

Thats anotehr reason why i dont use my 50mm, its not wide enough or long enough on a crop! but on a ff it is a dream(used a different 50mm on a slr film)

THIS

Although some of my best shots on the D90 are with the 50mm 1.4

The difference on the D3 is mind blowing :)

I use my 50 1.4 and a 40mm STM pancake lens on my 5D3 and don't seem to feel any embarrassment, specially when I get to see the results later on.

Congrats on your new purchase. No need to feel embarassed about what lens you use with it.

I'll be ordering my 5D mkiii in a few weeks time. Can't wait!

Yeah, I'd be embarrassed with a 5D3 too! .... :LOL:(y)

Seriously though, nothing at all wrong with a nifty fifty on an FX camera. I know people who use the older versions on a 3Ds.

I wouldn't waste money on 50L. Sigma or 50/1.4 canon will be good enough as the L is not well renowned for neither accuracy nor sharpness. But 85mm L is a different beast, and well worth the outlay

I used the nifty on my 5Dc for a year or so. I wasn't bothered what people thought, it suited me and produced some great shots. Happy days... thinking about it I miss the little bugger now

I use this exact setup! 5D3 + nifty fifty! Feels strange taking my 14-35mm L off and putting the lighter, plastic, cheap lens on, but holy ****, the results are awesome! you'll regret even considering not using it :) keep us all updated on your progress and your thoughts on the setup! :)

I use my nifty all the time on my 5D2. It's a brilliant little lens. I used it plenty of times at my sisters wedding recently.

Back